Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
eugene , Oregon
economy must not be so bad

We are in the market for a 25' flying cloud airstream. I have read on this site that folks have purchased new for 20-25% off of list. We made an offer that was 23% off list and the dealer is sticking to 14% off. Appears that at this popular size/model demand is still high.
I don't think the economy is turning around any time soon, but here in the Northwest it appears folks are still willing to pay a premium to join the club. I guess I will be patient and wait for a nearly new one to come on the market or for things to tighten up later this year.
cyafishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Beg To Differ, Be Patient

This is the best of times for some and the worst, for many.
A fools rally is going on for sure, but the worldwide depression is gaining strength.
Be patient, I recently bought a new car for thousands less than when I started looking 2 years ago, same car a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix.
On the Airstream side dealers are closing, sales are down and oil prices are going up.
You do not have comparable prices from 3 dealers???
One dealer does not a street price make.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I found about 18% is average. I would not take a deal less than that. Some get more, some slightly less, but no way would I take one for less than 18% with no trade in. Other dealers will deal and some are willing to work on shipping it to you. I drove about 350 miles to pick mine up, it had a leak they and Airstream missed (go figure ) and the dealer paid to have it shipped to me after it was supposedly fixed (which it wasn't, but that's a whole nuther thread).

Bottom line don't think that you are limited to dealers in your own area or state. I went two states over for mine and got what I consider a honey of a deal and I had a trade.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You can't make an assumption that because times are tough, the discounts will be as large. Depending upon a dealer's specific situation he might not be as free with a discount since he's selling fewer vehicles. Unless Airstream has made some deals, he's still buying at the same price, and carrying his dealership overhead. A lot of time a dealer's sales volume will make the difference in discounting. If you are turning over a lot of vehicles you might let them go for less margin.

Don't consider an RV dealer to be anything like the auto dealerships. Yep, they are givin away cars today with tremendous discounts. A lot of that is coming from the manufacturer and their government bailouts. I don't see that occurring on the RV side.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been reading reports that RV sales are generally staying pretty steady----may be some people are purchasing an RV rather than taking expensive vacations. ?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
What I've found in my work is that economic hard times are very uneven: There are huge geographic differences and huge differences across different market sectors. Bumpy, lumpy, and hard to predict at times.

Lynn
Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Think it likely that the people getting the 20 - 25% discounts are buying leftover 2008 Safari's. Doubt you'd be able to get quite that much on a 2009 Flying Cloud yet.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
north shore , Massachusetts
keep in mind that all manufacturers are cutting back on production.
if you want a particular product [airstream?],this can produce a double edged sword
vunico is offline   Reply With Quote