Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temecula , California
Discounts off MSRP?

My wife and I are brand new into researching airstreams. We’ve done a lot of Internet research and recently visited our local dealer and were able to walk through quite a few different models and sizes.

I have not talked to pricing I’m probably not ready to pull the trigger yet... still trying to figure out exactly what size I would want I am torn between a 22 inch Caravel or bumping up to a 23 foot flying cloud.

I’m curious are people right now paying full MSRP or are there substantial discounts been given by some dealers? I am in no rush I could buy something now or in six months...

Before I even sit down to ever talk numbers I want to find out what people are really paying and what kind of discounts are actually out there!!

thanks in advance
Crandell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
In February 2019 I purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 30 Bunk. In October 2020 I ordered a 2021 Classic 33 from the same dealer. On a percentage basis, I got a similar MSRP discount for both transactions. The discounts were quite good in both cases; I'm happy with the deals.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
I got approximately 23% off MSRP from Airstream of Tampa. I called around to four other dealers & that was the best I could get this past June. I would be curious how that compares to everyone else & what I could get today with supply & demand where it is vs six months ago.

Good luck!!!
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
In "normal" times you could typically expect between fifteen and twenty percent off msrp. You may have to just feel it out with a dealer who has healthy stock on hand. May some offers and see what happens.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
You are getting good answers here, and I will add that your best bargaining chips are located at the ends of your legs. If you don’t like what you are hearing, use those feet.
I say this mainly because of the information you mentioned on your other thread, 16’ vs. 19’... When A dealers says “of course you can tow with your current vehicle (did he look at the load rating or tow rating first?), you have to suspect he or she is focused on the sale, not your happy camping experience.
Take your time - there will be a trailer for you, and as the forum members say, “Buy your second trailer first.” Not necessarily the biggest, but the one that’s right for you.
Happy camping - when the time comes!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temecula , California
Thanks for some of the great responses I think based on my visit to the airstream dealer today I have already ruled out a 16 or a 19 and will probably look at a 22 or more realistically a 23 foot flying cloud

After seeing them in person I don’t think a 16 footer would be realistic for our needs even the 19 would be too small and after seeing the trailers that have the beds in the corner we just don’t like that at all

When you look at the flying cloud 23 it’s just enough larger than any of the Caravel or Bambi models that it feels much bigger and substantially nicer.

MSRP‘s are in the low to mid 80,000 range is the reason why am asking all the questions about discounts is to figure out how much I’d really be financing as the price nears six figures getting 20% off actually makes a pretty big difference in a payment.

As one of you said we always have the option to just walk away if the price isn’t right we are interested and I’ve been talking about purchasing a trailer for several years we just started being more serious about it now but given how long we waited we aren’t in a rush and could easily wait 6 to 12 months before we bought something and it won’t make a difference.

Getting information about discounts as high as low 20% helps that way if some dealer tells me that they won’t budge off the MSRP I know they’re full of crap and I’ll go somewhere else
Old 01-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
A) MSRP: depends on where you are... with the current state of things, some dealers have gone to MSRP pricing and are getting it. Some dealers have chosen to not, and are still selling at some price less than (and, some are probably selling for more than....). You've got multiple dealers you can check with (I've only got one within a short drive, but still over an hour away... if I bump up to a 4 hour drive, I might be able to add one or two more dealers to the list.... but, you can 'shop' at dealers a day's drive away too...).

B) I'm going to suggest shopping used. Not vintage, but, one that's not brand new... if you get one a year or two old, you can save a bit... maybe enough to where you would feel more confident about having budget room for upgrading the TV. And, if you decide you're willing to upgrade the TV, maybe you could consider a 25' instead? Just a thought....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandell5 View Post
MSRP‘s are in the low to mid 80,000 range is the reason why am asking all the questions about discounts is to figure out how much I’d really be financing as the price nears six figures getting 20% off actually makes a pretty big difference in a payment.

As one of you said we always have the option to just walk away if the price isn’t right we are interested and I’ve been talking about purchasing a trailer for several years we just started being more serious about it now but given how long we waited we aren’t in a rush and could easily wait 6 to 12 months before we bought something and it won’t make a difference.

Getting information about discounts as high as low 20% helps that way if some dealer tells me that they won’t budge off the MSRP I know they’re full of crap and I’ll go somewhere else
Airstream allocates unit quantities to their dealers based on previous sales volumes. The larger dealers focus on quantity, and their smaller margins are offset by selling tons of units. The smaller guys may need to charge more to remain viable. Even in these times of 4-6-8 month lead times, several of the large shops are still offering nice discounts from list price, since this fits with their business models. Some of the small guys are simply "making hay while the sun shines". If you're willing to wait and don't mind traveling a bit, it is possible to save some cash on a new purchase.

The biggest challenge at the moment is needing to lock-in on a particular model and options in these build-to-order times, since nobody has much new stock inventory.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temecula , California
Thanks for the advice I will definitely start making lots of phone calls and pricing the market when I am ready to pull the trigger.

If you decide exactly what you want and place an order .. what kind of a deposit are most of the dealers excepting and are they basically write the contract at the time you order it and you’re locked in or do you have the opportunity to back out and change what you want if you realize you’ve decided on wanting something bigger or smaller?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temecula , California
I don’t know what kind of flexibility is on the used price market but when I look at the asking price is for new and asking prices for used there honestly is not a huge difference between a 2021 model and the same thing that’s a couple years old... which got me wondering maybe you’d actually be better off just to buy new plus you have a warranty
Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Crandell5,
I get the impression that there’s not as much room to bargain on the used market, because it draws a lot of first timers who compare to the MSRP of a similar new trailer. (That was us.)
We really liked the compact size of our ‘19 Bambi 22 Spirit, and the timeless design. Our towing mileage was impressive, and the handling was great.
Then a couple of Dometic appliances went out, and their warranty department LAUGHED at us because we were the second owners. My wife missed the kitchen cabinet storage compared to the Creekside we’d traded in , and I wished the water heater had an electric element. The unducted A/C roared much louder than our previous trailer. We shopped for a trade-up, and discovered a new 23FB FC marked down a similar amount to the “used” discount on our Bambi (which, to be fair, had only been used one weekend by the previous owner).
Your impressions are correct.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
We were looking at a new unit this weekend and we were offered a discount of around 20%.
In my opinion because we are early in the deal you don’t know what might happen as negotiations proceed.
But it does appear at least at first glance that discounts are available.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #13

Santa Fe Springs , California
Which state dealers offer the 20%off?
Here in California all the dealer are 2%off or MSRP and still have to wait until June or July plus a 5K deposit.
Is the Caravel worth the extra 10k compare to bambi ?
Any suggestions?
top123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
Just put a deposit down on a Flying Cloud at about 10% off MSRP, but they did give me a really good deal on my trade-in (non-Airstream). I worked with multiple dealers within a day's drive and all were approximately the same. I ended up going with the closest dealer to home because they offered a better deal on the trade-in, even though they were slightly less of a discount off MSRP. They have a great reputation and I know others that have been very happy in dealing with the dealership. Hope that this information helps.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Merrimac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
We were looking at a new unit this weekend and we were offered a discount of around 20%.
In my opinion because we are early in the deal you don’t know what might happen as negotiations proceed.
But it does appear at least at first glance that discounts are available.
Was this at Ewald, or another dealer? If it was Ewald, I may just order new and give up the search for a used unit, especially since many selling used units want the price of a new one...

Lucky for me, I'm not in a rush

Thanks,

Brad
magnusdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
2022 23cb

I had a 2010 27FB for 6 months, loved it but saw lots of empty camping sites for 25 foot or less. So sold the 27 and ordered a 2022 Flying Cloud 23CB Sierra Mist with Awning and Convection Micro
MSRP for 2021 is $81,200 + $1,350 Awning + $475 Micro + $1,650 destination for a total of $84,675.
Dealer charges 495 dealer fee which i hate but with that included my out the door price is $70,498.00 so right at 17% off. Probably more wfter the 2022 price increase.

this is for a December 2021 Delivery, i am deployed to Afghanistan and will be returning in December and traveling.

unless of course we actually pull out of Afghanistan, and i will return sooner
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadfar View Post
I had a 2010 27FB for 6 months, loved it but saw lots of empty camping sites for 25 foot or less. So sold the 27 and ordered a 2022 Flying Cloud 23CB Sierra Mist with Awning and Convection Micro
MSRP for 2021 is $81,200 + $1,350 Awning + $475 Micro + $1,650 destination for a total of $84,675.
Dealer charges 495 dealer fee which i hate but with that included my out the door price is $70,498.00 so right at 17% off. Probably more wfter the 2022 price increase.

this is for a December 2021 Delivery, i am deployed to Afghanistan and will be returning in December and traveling.

unless of course we actually pull out of Afghanistan, and i will return sooner

Hi there, we are begining negotiations on a new coach as well with a local dealer here in CA. Would you be willing to share what dealership you worked with? Thanks.
ahort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:15 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
While we got about 18% of MSRP on the order of our 2020 International Serenity 30 RB twin last year. It seems that MSRP is the norm right now. We purchased from Airstream of Chicago and the best they seem to be offering is 1k off MSRP at the moment. Used airstreams are going for their original MSRP or more. All I know is that Airstream is the best RV on the market. Last year was our first year and the enjoyment we had was fantastic. At every campground people came up to us to ask about the the Airstream. Camping is great. Camping with an Airstream is the best! We LOVE ours!
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
Tampa

My deal is at Airstream of Tampa
eneidab@rvone.com

Eneida Baldera no nonsense person

Tim
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
While we got about 18% of MSRP on the order of our 2020 International Serenity 30 RB twin last year. It seems that MSRP is the norm right now. We purchased from Airstream of Chicago and the best they seem to be offering is 1k off MSRP at the moment. Used airstreams are going for their original MSRP or more. All I know is that Airstream is the best RV on the market. Last year was our first year and the enjoyment we had was fantastic. At every campground people came up to us to ask about the the Airstream. Camping is great. Camping with an Airstream is the best! We LOVE ours!
Wow, good to know. Tks!
ahort is offline   Reply With Quote