Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I went out the other day and sat in our AS. After looking at some newer models with those dinette and L shaped "lounges" or whatever they call them, I went and sat in our trailer with it's "normal"/old school Flexsteel couch they we had re-foamed and recovered in Ultraleather Brisa (as I understand it, it's better than what is used by Airstream BTW - it breathes more like real leather - you do know that Ultraleather is not leather but polyurethane, just sayin'), I realized that there was no comparison in comfort. Our couch (like noted by an earlier poster) was wayyyy more comfortable. As a matter of fact I ordered a couple of poufs from Overstock this week to use as foot rests (again southwestern style fabrics).

In the newer trailers the TV (yep, I like to watch a movie or whatever in the evening), is generally too far away from the seating area for decent viewing (IMHO), In some you could sit at the dinette and be closer, but not as comfortable.

Plus while I like the newer "striped down" interiors, I also like our cozy interior. I don't mind the mouse fir or vinyl at all, I also figure it helps the interior "feel" warmer in cold weather. We have updated it with nicer curtains (done in a chino type of fabric and that totally mimic the original pleats etc.) along with valances done in an "southwestern" style fabric. Our interior has lost almost all of the dated look at this point.

However, I do wish we had a pano in the living area (I would prefer not to have one in the bedroom) along with some other larger windows. Of course, less windows, less leaks.... Flip side, we have wayyyy (sorry had to do it again) more storage than most of the newer trailers with a large double closet, a large pantry/microwave cabinet (that's one reason we don't have as many windows). I guess I need to decide what I want more, storage or windows. I will say, one thing I don't like is the cheapo, Hehr knockoff windows that AS used in Safaris of this vintage (see my earlier post about their problems). That company is out of business and you can't get parts.

Basically I think we are going to live with what we have for the TIME BEING. We will be heading out on longer more extend trips soon as my wife is retired next month. We can see how we like it. We are getting into the spring buying season anyway, I figure the deals will start to fade a bit. So if we still have the itch in the fall or winter later this year, we likely can get a better deal, plus the late models that I like will be that much cheaper.

I guess in a perfect world, the best fit is a Classic. But they are too long, and too heavy; I like towing with our EB F150, it does a great job with our Safari (it replaced the 3/4 ton Duramax I used to have - I don't miss it when towing).

We have also tossed around not spending the bucks on a new/newer AS, but instead supplementing our AS with a class B for longer trips with shorter stays. But again, I want to see how I like dragging around what we have first. BTW it won't be an Interstate, too many problems with the DEF EGR Nox sensors limp mode etc. That's one reason I got rid of the Dmax - diesel worries and problems. If we got one it would likely be a Pleasure Way with a Ford Transit/Ecoboost setup. Much better torque and HP than the MB, and I have 6 years of experience with the EB's reliability (knocking wood). PW just came out with that chassis, I think some folks are interested in getting away from the Sprinters that seem to have too many problems (yes I am sure yours has been perfect LOL).

As to the polishing that I am sick of... I can finish the re-polish I started last year (still need to do the curb side), and that will hold me for 2/3 years (we take it to the beach a lot so you know what that salt air does). By the next time it's due, if we haven't purchased something newer, and I don't feel like doing it again, but we want to keep the trailer, then I guess it's off the P&S. Expensive, but mega cheaper than a new trailer. I must admit, I do like it for the oohs and aahs it gets, even from other Airstreamers. Lets admit one big reason we buy these expensive toys is for the shine and "look".

Of course, after saying all of this, if I get that bug....well you know how that works.

Thanks for your thoughts.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks for the update! All you wrote makes sense.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Now, hit the road and camp!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 AM   #64
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hey. Get it because you have been financially responsible for over half a century and you WANT it.
If the doctors take you off life support 3 weeks early because you ran out of money, smile at where that 50K went instead and make a rude hand signal as they pull the plug.

Logic is good.
Thrift is good.
Happiness is a gift.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present!

HiHo Silver, Away! "Tonto" Paula
Really enjoyed reading your thoughts this morning! I like the way you think!
Thank you for sharing them.

My kids won’t need any of my “stuff” as they are doing far better than I was at their age. They’ll just be stuck with the chore of getting rid of it all.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
You have the perfect Airstream! No way I would get rid of it!
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #66
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Seems an excellent decision to hang onto the existing unit for at least one more season of camping.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Great to hear. Maybe in the meantime, Airstream will come up with more comfortable seating. I can’t understand why the designers feel every seat has to double as a bed.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post

———snip for brevity——-

My kids won’t need any of my “stuff” as they are doing far better than I was at their age. They’ll just be stuck with the chore of getting rid of it all.

Yup, ditto.

I need a license plate frame for the Airstream that says “We’re spending our children’s inheritance.” I know they exist ... just have to find a sturdy one.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #69
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup, ditto.

I need a license plate frame for the Airstream that says “We’re spending our children’s inheritance.” I know they exist ... just have to find a sturdy one.
I should never have gone through this thread! Someone’s comment about 15 years if you’re 65, got me to thinking. Now I’m upgrading my 2011 23FC FB! Going to pick up a very slightly used 2020 25 Globetrotter twin this week.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I should never have gone through this thread! Someone’s comment about 15 years if you’re 65, got me to thinking. Now I’m upgrading my 2011 23FC FB! Going to pick up a very slightly used 2020 25 Globetrotter twin this week.
GettinAway, congratulations on upgrading to a Globetrotter! We made the same move - FC23FB to a GT for the same reason: Life is short

Post some photos with your new baby too!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #71
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
GettinAway, congratulations on upgrading to a Globetrotter! We made the same move - FC23FB to a GT for the same reason: Life is short

Post some photos with your new baby too!

Will do. Hope to complete the trade and pull it home Wednesday. Then pulling it to Florida for four weeks. That should break it in..
Thx! I retired in August. This wasn’t in the plan.. [emoji51]