Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
AW - That's great to hear the finish is holding up on the '00. 20 years old and still doing it's job. Yeah I know over the years they have had filiform problems, seemingly around the rivits? I don't have any on the body (maybe because I buff it?) But I do get some on my aluminum wheels (as I have on some of my other vehicles with uncoated wheels - for example my previous Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax.

mkcurtiss - The six month thing is a good idea and I use it a lot, maybe not always six months, but I also believe (like you are saying) that it it never hurts to let things cool down and take a breath before you pull the trigger on something major - at least most of the time lol (my wife might say something different about me . In this case, I have been thinking about this for a while, I figure if I don't do it now (before the full prime sales season in a month or so - at least thats what RV sales folks tell me) I'll likely wait until fall when people start to bail on their current units and start looking a new ones.

bibbs- your argument is always a good one (one of the most classic rationalizations in my book), at least if you can afford it and really want and will use the item you are contemplating (we do and we will).

At my age (66) you never know when you are going to get that funky blood test back (however, so far so good). My best friend died in his 50's, at least he was having fun, riding his BMW through the Rockies, when he apparently had a medical issue and ran off the road. That's one reason I retired 5 years ago from an unfulfilling job that however, gave me the knowledge and means to save for a nice retirement and pay for my kid to graduate debt free to one of the finest Universities in the world, Johns Hopkins - and yes I am bragging and very proud of her - she worked hard in school and deserved it - and she graduated with honors - now she is out in her first real job making an excellent salary doing something she loves (meaning she is on a path to me more successful than me - a great job worthwhile job and she loves it). Anyway, my wife is younger than me, I told her recently to go ahead and retire before spring and let's hit the road before we "get that bad blood test - lump - bump etc. (and I'm not making light of those situations)". It's just a matter of whether it's in the '99 or a newer one, either way, we hope to have a lot of fun.

I feel like most of us, whether we want the latest or are happy with what we have are likely luckier than a lot people in this country these days. Who wish they had to decide what kind of toy they were going to buy, instead of figuring out how to find a decent job et. At least most of us on here have enough choices and funds to own something as nice as an Airstream. For that I am very grateful.

Thanks, it's interesting reading everyones comments.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hello Soyboy,
Here are my 2 cents, for what they’re worth. I looked at your pictures of your cork floor and new upholstery. They are beautiful! No new trailer has flooring like that. Also, only the Classic has a proper sofa like yours.

We have purchased 2 new Airstreams. A 23D in 2008 and a 2017 30RB. Our 23 was written off due to hail just a week after our house sold and we were starting out as full-timers. We looked for a used one, but sellers wanted way too much! We ended up getting a year-old model brand new for the same price as a used one. However it still cost double what we got for our 23D from the insurance company. Is it double the trailer? No way! We loved our 23. In hindsight, we should have bought it back from the insurance company and renovated it to be more comfortable for full-timing.

How would we have renovated it, and why? Well, we would have had the dinette at the end removed and a sofa added in its place. You see, you already have that! The 23D (now 23CB), 25, and 27 all have that uncomfortable dinette at one end. If you are planning to travel for any length of time, who gets to sit in the seat by the door? That seat is SO uncomfortable! Go to a dealer and have them plug in a movie and then sit in that seat and watch the movie. You’ll be missing your cozy sofa!

So, part of our decision was based on whether or not there was a sofa. That only left the 28RB and 30RB International or Flying Cloud. However, the sofa is just a bench. I sometimes get “numb bum”. Your sofa is better.

Yes, the large windows are nice, but honestly, during the day, we are outside. At night, when we are inside, you can’t see anything outside. And, when it’s cold, we put reflectix in the windows to retain heat.

Now, front bed or rear bed really depends on your type of camping. If you like RV parks with services, you’ll likely be in a back in site, so if you have a FB, your uncomfortable dinette will overlook your neighbour’s trailer and sewer hookup. If you mostly boondock on public lands, you can orient your trailer however you like for the best view.

So, to sum up, I think your trailer is far more comfortable than what is out there and you’ll miss it more than you think you will.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Lisa, thank you for your thoughtful post. The sofa deal is something I think about a lot. I have sat on the current setups and Like you say they aren’t as nice, unless you get a classic. Especially since our sofa was re--foamed when we had it done. Why they go with these current setups I don’t know, other than they can accommodate more people. I guess the Classic is the empty nester model lol. I also agree with the dinette by the pano window. Doesn’t make sense. I prefer the FC models with it by the kitchen. As to the Classic it’s just to long, I draw the line at 28 and of course that can be tight in some spots, especially as we are pretty much state park campers. And a lot of them have tight sites.

These are definitely things I think about. But then the things I don’t care for on my current one bug me too. Lol. To e will tell. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Soyboy, so sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad. I lost mine three years ago Jan 7th and it still hurts.

Retirement is a good thing so I hear (57 work days left for me). Congratulations on yours! It makes us think about our limited time left; go ahead and scratch that itch.

My DF had a scare with cancer during the time as my dad passed. Once she recovered we decided to look for a trailer and bought a new 2018 FC23FB (tow vehicle limited). While we loved the Airstream experience, we found the galley & u-shaped dining space limited. We called the dealer at the end of the year and said we made a mistake.

The salesperson said "I'll help you out but this time pick out the one you want". We placed an order for a 27' Globetrotter with the options and color we wanted and couldn't be happier.

It's funny you mention about Patrick at Colonial because they had a used 2018 GT and I called (asked for him) but it was his day off. It turned out Colonial's only had one A/C and wasn't the color combination we wanted.

Life is short! Hope you find what you want.
-Jeff & Caryle
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
We went down to Virginia on Friday to look at a used 2017 International Serenity 28'. First off, I do love all the windows. Although like some say, you are outside during the day and at night you usually have the shades down. But that front pano is really nice compared to our small window (although I am not so hot on the bedroom pano - I like less light when trying to sleep in). I found the L shaped lounge to be comfortable on my legs, but uncomfortable on my back (it was straight up and down). However, some weirdness started when I looked at the ducted air (something that really draws me to a newer trailer). All of the registers were missing??? The intakes were there, but not the "outputs". The rest of the layout was fine. But that is just part of the story.

Here is a quote from the RVtrader ad : this International 28RB Signature Edition travel which is a Stunning Condition rarely ever used or ever traveled with since bought new estate parking lot home. The Trailer Shows extremely well to very little to non-wear, as if was still new! The interior is mint and smells new!"

In reality it had mold/mildew stains on the floor (that look like they tried to clean up, evidence of mold that had been kind of cleaned up on the lounge pull-out, rusted hardware, light mold smell. I saw they had a portable heater that they apparently had been running, perhaps to help dry it out. I don't know what happened, the owner wasn't there (he had a relative that lived in his home unlock it for us) so I don't know story, but obviously it had be subjected to a lot of moisture inside. Weird. I guess for this I'm supposed to pay 50k+ over which I could likely sell my current trailer (he is asking $73k - make offer). Even at a big discount, one has no idea what lurks under the cabinets, behind the walls etc. etc. What a mess. I feel bad for the poor soul that doesn't look closely at it. What I couldn't understand is why this guy (who lives in a mansion - not a McMansion lol, who has a high end car dealership - Bentleys, Lambos etc.) doesn't get it as cleaned up as possible. He has to know that folks are going to see this if they look at it at all.

Anyway, contrary to what some think, I am still on the fence about this getting a newer AS. It's fine, as i have a trailer that in reality, looks wise, is way "cooler" than the comparatively semi-shiny newer models - although I like that lack of the need to polish it. Also system wise it is in good shape, I figure if I keep it, the AC and fridge might need replacement at some point (both work great now) and maybe the axles. Of course all of those items would only be a few thousand, compared to the multiple $10k's to "upgrade".

Anyway, we have also toyed with instead getting a Sprinter/Transit based RV for "road trips" (likely not an Interstate as they are too expensive - more likely a Pleasure Way or used Road Trek) and keeping the trailer for longer stays. That idea really appeals to me. However, we could just not buy anything, save the money, use it to take some river cruises in Europe, head to Cabo or the islands once a year, take lots of trips to NYC (one of my favorite places to visit), buy a nicer retirement house (full time, not vacation only) NEAR (not on) the beach - one of our next "projects" the list goes on.

Remember my OP, I started this thread about the thought process/rationalization about getting rid of a perfectly fine AS for a newer one that might have a few "nicer" features and upgrades. Hence my rationalizing in this post . Your rationalizations are still welcome.

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2020 27' Flying Cloud
2005 28' Safari
Miami , Florida
Buy a new one...

More windows is a simple reason. My Safari felt like a cave compared to my new unit.

You won’t even remember the money you paid for it.

You deserve it.

Do not take delivery until you are completely satisfied and comfortable with your new unit though...
Bgarhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1995 25' Excella
2007 28' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
What’s a cyclo?
Polisher
Sea-lovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #48
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Decision: Keep current AS or "upgrade"

Recommend not changing anything until after you’ve retired and taken your existing Airstream out on a few extended adventures. You may find you really enjoy camping in what you have while keeping all that money in your pockets instead of blowing it on a different trailer when you don’t yet even know for sure whether you need one. Go find out first!
We’re still camping in the same trailer we bought prior to retirement. Right now, if we changed to a different trailer, we’d go a lot smaller, maybe a 23FB, but we’re glad we didn’t make that change when we retired, because we suddenly decided to sell our home and go full time for 8 months. The 23 would have been pretty small for that project. So, wait and see!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #49
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Mona and I were talking about "what would we do if we had a million dollars" would we sell the townhouse and move? Sell the int'l 25 and the 2013 F-150 to upgrade them both?

The thing is, we have never had the "two foot itis disease" - We are almost 75 and basically have learned the art of being content with what we have. This is especially true since I have worked the bugs out of everything. Why would I want the hassle of going through the "fix the bugs again".

So as much as NEW maybe nice - it's not necessarily better IMHO
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Upgrade

Not that this has anything to do with your question but would you be willing to share your upgrades? I have a ‘98 safari that I recently purchased.

QUOTE=Soyboy;2323038]The eternal decision, needs vs. wants....

I'm curious what goes into folks decision to trade/sell their (perhaps like ours paid off) Airstream for a newer model. Especially if you have an older one like me (a '99) where the trade in or money you get from selling it, only covers a portion of the new one.

Our trailer in many respects is perfectly fine. We have upgraded it in many ways: Stripped and polished, Ultraleather upholstery, memory foam mattresses, solar, TV, Alpine stereo and sub, all new brakes, bearings, drums, cork floor, new curtains etc. etc. We like it, but we are soon both to be retired and like most folks on here, we want to take the grand tour, perhaps more than once. For that, first of all, I would like a trailer with more windows. Our Safari's layout doesn't have a lot of them in the living area 9(no pano either). A front bedroom would be nice too. Maybe the rear lift door. Also, I would like the updated systems, ducted AC with heat pump and most of all, at my age, not to have to run the Cyclo anymore. I'm Cycloed out lol. I won't mind washing and waxing a trailer, but buffing. I would leave that to P&S if we kept. I must admit being a "car" nut, that it's lots of fun pulling into the campground with a fairly high wow factor. We get a lot of visitors from the SOB folks. Many of whom seem to dream of a 'stream (sorry,couldn't resist).

So there you have it, we have a perfectly fine trailer in many ways, that we love (I will shed tears when/if we part with it). However, I would like something 18-20 years newer for the reasons stated above. We would likely buy a late model used trailer to avoid some of the depreciation on a new one (BTW, I know I can easily sell our trailer for about $7-10k more than we paid for it, some due to upgrades, others due to the Airstream mania that seems to be around these days - at least until the next recession lol).

We can afford it without nailing our retirement funds. Well I guess all of our funds are retirement funds, but you know what I mean.

Looking at another 28 or maybe a 25. Flying Cloud, International of one sort or the other. Kind of like the interior on the Flying Cloud, as it is pretty much like our Safari with the swing up cabinet doors. However, we like some of the bells and whistles on the "higher" trim levels too.

To elaborate, I think I could get the low to mid $20s for our beloved Safari. Especially here in the mid-Atlantic, it seems like there is a dearth of AFFORDABLE Airstreams in good shape (lots of restoration projects though). The "new" trailer, depending on the year and model I would think will be in the $55 - $75k range.

I will say that I am a believer in buying what you really want, if you can AFFORD IT. Life is short. .

BTW, I can't believe how many late models for sale are there. Do people buy them on a whim and get tired of them? Decide they can't afford them? Take that one big trip and sell or, or see that the RV lifestyle is not for them no matter how cool it looks in ads etc.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
cartermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #51
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Interesting to read this. I picked up a Globetrotter brochure over a year ago and have carried it ever since, contemplating buying one. After a year of that I decided to keep my 2015 25' Flying Cloud.
Instead I am in the process of redesigning the interior, having now lived in it for five years I know what I want to change. But then it has always been evolving over that period of time. 400 watts of solar, 400 amps of Battle Born Lithium Ion Batteries, a new converter/inverter, a monitor, etc. Also sixteen inch tires, different faucets, creating a real pantry, etc. When I really considered the cost of a Globetrotter, with my existing upgrades, I realized that I like my trailer, I just need to adjust it to my comforts. That is my plan for 2020.
As to advice, I have none. But I enjoyed seeing how other people approached this decision. Kine of like that decision when we chose another house. Some days I think I am a reincarnated hermit crab.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It is also very important to me to have the trailer that you really want. Since you have an Airstream with the small windows I completely understand upgrading to one with large windows, more of them and also to ducted air. I consider ducted air to be the most significant improvement to Airstream trailers in the last 50 years. I would make the change and make whatever other upgrades needed to suit your traveling life style. The money doesn’t really matter. You can afford it and the cost is really just the depreciation amount anyway. You won’t even know this until you are finished Airstreaming.

Enjoy your future Airstream travels with whatever trailer you have.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
It seems to me that you have the advantage of experience. Before my planned retirement in 2015, we hatched this “see the USA in your Airstream” idea. After reading everything we could get our hands on, and visiting dealers for SOB trailers and motor homes in metro DC, we went to visit Colonial. Our goals were to have something in which to full time that would not be too big for state and national parks. My wife and I are both tall (6’4” and 5’ 10”) so a so-called RV queen didn’t appeal to us. As it turned out, the longest (30’) models didn’t appeal to us when we saw them in person. Price wasn’t a primary consideration, but the extra 3 feet in length and 1000 lbs. (or more) in weight was, as compared to a 27/28. We liked the ducted air, we liked the panoramic windows at both ends, we liked having a propane oven and a microwave; and the dinette at the end of the trailer didn’t bother us. We didn’t think the additional tank capacities of the bigger trailer would matter (the didn’t). 40,000 miles, 4 X-country trips and 4 years later, we are happy with our choice, even thought we had zero experience RVing when we made it. (We full-timed for 10 months and have subsequently done trips from 1 week to 3 months duration.) And, as it turned out, we would have been very unhappy if the size of our trailer would have required the purchase of a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
So this is a long way of saying that you have the experience to determine where your current trailer is deficient and whether a new model would remedy those deficiencies. “Having something new” undoubtedly has its appeal, but after a few months that will wear off unless the new thing is clearly better than the old thing in ways that matter. Conversely, your having extensively customized your current trailer probably makes you “invested” in it in ways that may blind you to its shortcomings.
FWIW, I found the Colonial folks very easy to deal with and our trailer had zero post-delivery issues. I’m headed there next week to collect my trailer after a roof seam maintenance job and the installation of 4 new tires (am I the only guy who actually wore out a set of GYMs without blowing one up?)
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
However, we could just not buy anything, save the money, use it to take some river cruises in Europe, head to Cabo or the islands once a year, take lots of trips to NYC (one of my favorite places to visit), buy a nicer retirement house (full time, not vacation only) NEAR (not on) the beach - one of our next "projects" the list goes on.

Remember my OP, I started this thread about the thought process/rationalization about getting rid of a perfectly fine AS for a newer one that might have a few "nicer" features and upgrades. Hence my rationalizing in this post . Your rationalizations are still welcome.
I must say this reframing of options is compelling.

If you view life as more a gathering of meaningful shared experiences, verses a collection of things, the trips abroad give you an experience a new Airstream would not.

The new trailer would merely replace the one you already have and not take you anywhere your current trailer could not already, nor provide a substantially different experience than what you now have.

But the chance to see a different continent, or cruise the open seas, THAT is a new and different (and likely more unique and memorable) experience for you to enjoy and treasure! (and still go camping in your trusty AS as well!)

And PS - Do it while you can!!!!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Buying an Airstream is MONEY $$$ well spent . There is nothing we own that has given us so much for so little $$$ . Seeing this beautiful country, and meeting the most amazing people along the way . Stretching skills & relationships . Learning new things every day . Falling in love with everything all over again . Endless skies, Beautiful Ocean views , amazing mountains . Dreaming of tomorrow’s adventures. Sitting around the campfire with good friends and a fabulous glass of wine. Sleeping like a child after a long day of play. Life Doesn’t get any better .
I am confident you will make the best choice for you and your family. See you down the road dear friend. safe travels to you all.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
Recently, I saw a company that puts a ceramic coating on the aluminum for permanent shine. You may be happy with a solution like that.
I have a 2002 Classic 31' for full-time living. I highly recommend the Classic for the storage. But I dislike the newer interiors so I don't expect to change up for the bells and whistles anytime soon.
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
DevH - yes I have thought about looking into ceramic coatings. I know Vinnie of Vinnie's Northbay Airstream repair seems to be big on them these days. On the other side, I have heard some rumblings that they are not all they are cracked up to be (remains to be seen - not knocking them at this point though). I think they also are expensive, and as I noted earlier I have some concerns about dropping too much money into an older trailer (an exception to that would be a truly vintage trailer 50's/60's) I also haven't checked into how well they would adhere to a "stripped and polished" trailer on the bare aluminum, vs. a clear coated trailer (or as more common a painted car). But the coating, if it worked and held up, should save a lot of work. Of course another way would be to vinyl wrap it, but then, to me at least, you kind of lose part of the Airstream mystic lol.

Thanks

KC3MAP

Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
All the money you blow on a new trailer can get a lot of fancy upgrades!
Go LiFePO4, lift kits, solar, entertainment, interior do overs!
Have fun!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #59

2018 25' International
Laverne , California
2018 25 fb serenity shakedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
It sounds like you are going to be in the market for a new airstream soon.
My question is how much shakedown does one have to encounter? We purchased a 2018 25 fb serenity and have been shaking it down from the day we picked it up! Even with the warranty you have to take it to a dealer that you hope know what there are doing,and taking it to the dealership is no fun and waiting three to four weeks to get you trailer back, after pay almost 100,000 for a over rated and over priced with no quality control, sorry but I would have to think long and hard before I would purchase one of these, I am sorry but the bugs should have been worked out long before, airstream has been making these too long to have problems like we have encountered! Buyer beware! If you are going to purchase one new be aware of the appliances,TVs stereo etc it just might what they had in stock and not the newest!
For a hopefully helpful reality check, I’m sure you are aware that with all the new bells and whistles a late model airstream will come with, there is also The pain and hassle of the shakedown trips and getting the dealer and/or factory to fix all the annoying flaws that come with a brand new trailer, should you buy one brand spanking new.

Of course if you buy a late model used one, you can presumably avoid both the depreciation hit and theoretically have most of the bugs already ironed out, as you wisely acknowledge.

I understand the only models with the rear hatch available are the 27 footers. If you’re going to go buy used, I would try very hard to find something before spring; as you know once spring arrives it’s going to be a lot harder to find a used trailer that checks all of your boxes.

If what you find is substantially the same as your current trailer, the logic of buying it becomes more tenuous. But if what you find is substantially better than what you have, then it will make a lot more sense.

Finally I’ll leave you with a very handy coping mechanism I stumbled upon as a little boy. When I was growing up our family was rather poor, I knew My folks could not afford most of the cool new toys I would see advertised on television. So, I would often pretend that I already had that toy and it was sitting in my room that very moment, and would ask myself if I wanted to go play with it righ now. More often than not, I realized that I didn’t really want to. I had plenty of other toys sitting unused in my room. Not too many nine-year-olds discover that sometimes wanting is more fun than owning. It makes no sense, but is often true.
Maryjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
All the money you blow on a new trailer can get a lot of fancy upgrades!
Go LiFePO4, lift kits, solar, entertainment, interior do overs!
Have fun!
X2

After 17yrs of 'fiddle-fart'n' I have nothing I can think of that requires an 'upgrade'.

Bob
🇺🇸