Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Corona del Mar , California
Dealer Service Parts Price Markup %

What is the average amount that Airstream dealers mark service department parts up? I realize they will charge more than than online retail prices, but my dealer is quoting parts at 50% above the prices available online. For example, for the Zip Dee rear power awning arm the dealer quoted me $1900.00 for the part plus 700 for the install. I found the rear awning arm online for $1200 at woodland travel center and high sky rv parts. For the Zip Dee main circuit board they quoted $800 and the online price is $550.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 06-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOCATION, Location, location,

CA cost a bunch of $$$ for location. You could always drive to MI or WA to have the work done, my guess, that would cost even more.

Stay Healthy,
Old 06-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The markups you quote are typical for specialty dealerships. They are not too interested in the do it your selfers so they don't try to compete with the online shops. They are selling their expertise and ability to get it right so if you go to a dealer make sure they do get it right. Remember also prices are negotiable.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Our dealer is fine with me bringing the parts and they’ll install. It’s just that they then won’t stand behind that part. For example if they installed a new awning but then it broke next week, that’s my problem just like if I did the work myself.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
LOCATION, Location, location,

CA cost a bunch of $$$ for location. You could always drive to MI or WA to have the work done, my guess, that would cost even more.

Stay Healthy,

Good point. I’ve considered driving to further dealers, but the gas expense etc. doesn’t make sense. I think this will, however, be the last time I visit my local dealer. I don’t mind paying a premium, but it’s really frustrating when their knowledge and quality of work is lacking.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
The markups you quote are typical for specialty dealerships. They are not too interested in the do it your selfers so they don't try to compete with the online shops. They are selling their expertise and ability to get it right so if you go to a dealer make sure they do get it right. Remember also prices are negotiable.

This dealer is doing the install, I only checked the price of the parts online because the price seemed very high. Unfortunately the repairs needed to fix Zip Dee Relax awning are beyond my do it your seller capabilities.

The really frustrating part is that that their expertise seems to be lacking.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I completely agree with you, they sound horrid.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
List prices at the dealer. Always. They may negotiate if you get to know them/
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
It’s always “Earn while you learn” at the dealerships.....they hire whoever is available and learn as they make mistakes going along the way. Their investment in tools is limited to a small toolbox with a cordless screw gun and a box of Sheetrock screws. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
This is a good thread because we all want to save money. For example, when I needed a PowerGear controller for my slide, the dealer price was the same as the factory list price. Airstream did drop shipped the part quickly. Then, I went to Camping World's Special order counter. Not only was their price cheaper, CW gave me the member 10% discount. On another item: no one could help me find a 3-way water pump switch. I finally found it online with JB Products for just a few dollars. While at it, I orders some spares of all the classic switches because Airstream won't restock them as they are no longer used in production. That is where the bummer is.
What we need is a running list of parts and their current suppliers. Similar to the Slideout Registry.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I understand ZipDee has rebuilt awning parts available. The prices look reasonable to me.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I had to have the AC in my AS replaced last year and the dealer quoted me a pretty significant markup on the price ~ $1,700.00. I told him I didn't understand why their prices were so much higher than online seller RV Parts Country ($1,028.00) and I sent him a copy of RV Parts Country price for the part.

His comment was their dealer cost was higher than the price RV Parts Country quoted me. That really isn't too hard to believe since RV Parts Country sells a ton of Dometic AC units and most dealers work on a just-in-time operation so they probably order significantly fewer AC units over the course of a year, whereas RV Parts Country appears to sell maybe a few hundred/year.

He didn't meet their price, but did come down to $1,300.00.

Depending on the dealer you're working with you might ask if they can come closer to the online price - maybe meet in the middle . . .
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
ZipDee aluminum hook latch was $19 at dealer. Called ZipDee and they were$7.95, bought two.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I understand ZipDee has rebuilt awning parts available. The prices look reasonable to me.
guskmg

I spoke to Zip Dee today and they mentioned they have rebuilt parts, unfortunately the dealer didn’t mention that as an option. Now I know.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
I had to have the AC in my AS replaced last year and the dealer quoted me a pretty significant markup on the price ~ $1,700.00. I told him I didn't understand why their prices were so much higher than online seller RV Parts Country ($1,028.00) and I sent him a copy of RV Parts Country price for the part.

His comment was their dealer cost was higher than the price RV Parts Country quoted me. That really isn't too hard to believe since RV Parts Country sells a ton of Dometic AC units and most dealers work on a just-in-time operation so they probably order significantly fewer AC units over the course of a year, whereas RV Parts Country appears to sell maybe a few hundred/year.

He didn't meet their price, but did come down to $1,300.00.

Depending on the dealer you're working with you might ask if they can come closer to the online price - maybe meet in the middle . . .

Great points. Considering the nightmare that getting the relax awning fixed has been, I’m hoping he will meet me in the middle.