Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetski423 View Post
UPDATE:

I called the dealer back and they mention they'll look into it and find out the cost "to me" of getting this work done and shipped back/forth to the factory. Seeing as how it was the dealer's fault for ordering it wrong in the first place, there is no way I should have to front the cost of their mistakes right? I have signed paperwork with this option and the cost, so I expect the price to not exceed that... if anything be lower for the hassle of dealing with this mess.
"No way" is the correct response.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Run don't walk away from this dealership. There are other dealers who would be pleased to get the unit you ordered and put a deposit on. Since this is a material breach of contract, ask for your deposit back. Since time value of money is non-existent today, be glad to get the total funds back but make sure their check clears.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
For the price you should get what you want. If it’s not what you want, walk.....well, that’s what I’d do.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
I feel your pain.

Do not take delivery. Go to another dealer, or use the same dealer and risk being dissatisfied again.

Like you, we had the residual glue on every edge. We've taken care of it over time. But here's my list of quality issues on our new GT 27FT that I posted a little while ago:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...st-213556.html

I should add, as of today, 8 Oct. Dometic has not yet shipped, nor does my local authorized Dometic repair shop, have shipping info on my replacement fridge that I reported on 16 July.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
Trippin'Birdy

2021 27' International
Fulshear , TX
Quote:
We met with our dealer back in early June to custom order a Globetrotter 27FB Twin with every option, most importantly, the 50 AMP service with 2 AC's since we travel to FL and SC a lot. Our sales guy double-checked everything, printed us off papers with the options shown, and we waited all summer for a Sept 25th delivery.

Get a call today from the owner of the dealership with "bad news". He tells me the Airstream was just delivered (Oct 7th) and noticed he screwed up the order and forgot to make sure the 50AMP option was selected, so our newly delivered Airstream only has 1 AC and 30AMP. He then proceeded to offer me the difference off the agreed upon price OR we can order another one and wait till Mar/Apr 2021!

So we stepped inside for a few minutes just to see what could have been and noticed in the first 5 minutes an exposed screw from the top of the dinette endpiece and most of the edges of the cabinets had a "frayed" look about them... I thought maybe there was plastic still waiting to be peeled off.... nope! Is this normal for most deliveries?? Took a couple pictures and left without seeing anymore. I just didn't expect this level of quality for a $100K RV.

I'm not only extremely pissed at the dealer, but also disappointed in the whole experience and factory craftsmanship. What do you guys think we should do?
Same issue for us. We just took delivery in early sept on a 2021 International 25FB twin. The first night we camped in it we had a rain storm. Water poured in the front right window and soaked the mattress, bedding and wood under the mattress. We brought it back to the dealer and they fixed the leak, only to find that the entire window was manufactured incorrectly and needs to be replaced. That will be a 2 day job so we need to stay the night in a hotel hear the dealership, etc. PITA. We subseqently have discovered USB port that doesn't work, loose cabinet trim inside, loose door handle on the bathroom, etc. Plus, Airstream shipped the wrong bedding with our unit. They sent queen instead of twin. These all will (should) be fixed under warranty, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place. The dealer's techs told us that they have seen a spike in quality issues during COVID. Airstream needs to slow down, perform the normal (proper) inspections, and then ship their units, even if it means a few extra weeks in delivery time.

Also, we live in Texas and already have realized that you MUST have dual A/C units if you plan to camp in warm temps. The single unit just can't keep up when the outside temps are in the upper 80's or 90's and humid. A dehumidifier (after market) also helps to make it more comfortable inside.
GoBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The glue is common amongst this type of cabinetry. It's easily fixed. I've built plenty of cabinets in this style and it's just something that comes with ironing on edging. As for screw, well they can replace the panel. Not the end of the world. Now the 50 amp and the 2 ACs that would be something you'd have to decide. I personally don't use AC much since most camping is off grid. So it's not a deal breaker for me, nor are he other items. I would have them fix it first though.

I agree that this should have been caught before shipping. Poor QC is not an excuse.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
UPDATE:

The owner of the dealership says nothing can be done to fix this issue, just have to order them this way.

So I called Jackson Center and they said adding a second AC is an easy upgrade and already pre-wired for it, including converting 30A to 50A. He went into great detail of how this was done and was overly confident of the process. Honestly I was quite shocked to hear this... so he advised I call the dealer back and instruct them to call their rep for details on next steps.
RUN...don't walk. It would not matter to me if it's pre-wired or not. To me, the issue is not that the dealer forgot stuff, it's the near zero QC that worries me.

If you do decide to go through with it, your cost should be limited to the AC unit and the 50a outdoor plug and cable....and given you are in TN, I might even consider going to JC, towing it there myself because haulers don't really care as you would.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Fresno , California
How About A Late Model Pre-Owned on AS Classified

Quote:
We met with our dealer back in early June to custom order a Globetrotter 27FB Twin with every option, most importantly, the 50 AMP service with 2 AC's since we travel to FL and SC a lot. Our sales guy double-checked everything, printed us off papers with the options shown, and we waited all summer for a Sept 25th delivery.

Get a call today from the owner of the dealership with "bad news". He tells me the Airstream was just delivered (Oct 7th) and noticed he screwed up the order and forgot to make sure the 50AMP option was selected, so our newly delivered Airstream only has 1 AC and 30AMP. He then proceeded to offer me the difference off the agreed upon price OR we can order another one and wait till Mar/Apr 2021!

So we stepped inside for a few minutes just to see what could have been and noticed in the first 5 minutes an exposed screw from the top of the dinette endpiece and most of the edges of the cabinets had a "frayed" look about them... I thought maybe there was plastic still waiting to be peeled off.... nope! Is this normal for most deliveries?? Took a couple pictures and left without seeing anymore. I just didn't expect this level of quality for a $100K RV.

I'm not only extremely pissed at the dealer, but also disappointed in the whole experience and factory craftsmanship. What do you guys think we should do?
As Long as people accept the poor quality that the factory pushes out the quality of a an AS will not improve. Have you considered buying a late model Pre-Owned from a private party seller on AS Classifieds or Airstream Marketplace. Do both of you a favor and buy a nice trailer that is now working as it should have from day one. My guess is the seller has had all of the issues addressed and you can enjoy your new toy on day 1.
How about a 2018 Classic 33 FB Twin With TWO AC units and nice cabinetry? I know $100k will buy that. Nice upgrade!
Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #29
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreg52 View Post
Might be worth a trip to Colonial.
+1 We bought two Airstreams from them and very please both times. They have a very large inventory - they may have your model on the lot or on the way in.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If I were you, I'd be pissed off, too; and I would walk away from it and this dealership. Based on all the good things I've heard about Colonial in New Jersey, I would go to them to re-order.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
+1 We bought two Airstreams from them and very please both times. They have a very large inventory - they may have your model on the lot or on the way in.
In normal times, they have a very large (~130 units) inventory. These days, the number in stock is hovering +/- 0. And they've already sold the majority of the ones coming in for the remainder of the year. If you're not already on the list at Colonial, you're probably looking at March or April delivery at the earliest.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #32
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
I am in Sarasota Florida today and if I didn’t have two air conditioners I would be dying inside my trailer. Do not except a single air conditioner.
Kentbrookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #33
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Given your location, I worked with that dealer, and in the end, gratefully, thankfully, wonderfully made the trip to Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. Worth every mile and toll.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Colonial has a 27 twin 50a 2AC's in stock...what other options did you order? Could they be dealer installed?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
No way I’d accept that unit.
We have a FC and one air conditioner and having only one AC is the only thing we regret.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Colonial has a 27 twin 50a 2AC's in stock...what other options did you order? Could they be dealer installed?

Bob
🇺🇸
As someone who is intimately dealing with Colonial at the moment, I was told by my sales guy that they literally have zero inventory on their lot at the moment. Stock number of that particular unit you have linked is listed as "APR034" instead of the normal 5-digit convention. I don't think this trailer has been built and is physically sitting in New Jersey.

But like most things in life, I could be wrong about that....
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Don't take the unit with the single A/C. We have a Flying Cloud 30 RB, live in Nashville and during the summer you need both units running. It is also nice when its not HOT and Humid to select which A/C you want to use.

As for the dealer, their attitude comes off at best as condescending. We talked to them a last year while shopping for a Flying Cloud, it wasn't a warm fuzzy experience. We did find a gently used 2017 and it has been a great trailer.
foolrushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
As others have said find a new dealer.

The screw? Someone claimed it shows a total lack of quality control. I disagree. I can't really tell where the screw is from the photo, but it could have been missed. So not perfect quality control but not a total lack. And yes, Airstream requires their dealers to be the last point of quality control. Your dealer knew that when they signed up. So again, find a new dealer.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Canton , Georgia
[QUOTE=jetski423;2419125]We met with our dealer back in early June to custom order a Globetrotter 27FB Twin with every option, most importantly, the 50 AMP service with 2 AC's since we travel to FL and SC a lot. Our sales guy double-checked everything, printed us off papers with the options shown, and we waited all summer for a Sept 25th delivery.

I'm not only extremely pissed at the dealer, but also disappointed in the whole experience and factory craftsmanship. What do you guys think we should do? We live outside of Atlanta and have a 27fb with 2 ACs. We also camp a lot in the SE and I think 2 units are mandatory. Once you get the right unit, the dealer and the factory will work with you to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. We have bought 2 new Airstreams. A 2017 23 FB and a 2018 27fb with minimal problems on both. I would highly recommend Southland RV outside of Atlanta. They also matched Colonial’s price each time.
Philly Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Joining the throngs for "Run!"
Cancel the order and find another source. If the QC is so bad that even casual inspection shows there are serious, unattended-to problems, what else is waiting to surprise you? And you already know your dealer couldn't give a rat's butt about helping you. So you've got a problem unit being sold by a problem dealership. You don't even need to think about this one - get out while you can. And given the amount you are spending, get what you want - not what some incompetent salesperson decided to order for you!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote