Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Dealer Claim

"We understand you may not want to give out your personal information, but our manufacturers do not allow us to advertise our discounted prices online because they are too low. Please fill out this form or feel free to call us to receive our deeply discounted sale price."
So the website of a large AS dealer has "Get Best Price" buttons on many of their units. Following the link opens a window wanting contact information with the text above.

On the one hand, it seems odd Airstream would prohibit them from advertising a price... and the "because they are too low" sounds additionally suspicious.

On the other hand, this seems so easy to verify one way or the other, why would they lie and risk losing customers? If it's not true, why trust them on anything?
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I have seen that marketing technique used for many products.

Concept being once they can get you in conversation they have a chance to make a sale.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It’s a nasty marketing ploy. Any dealer that acts like that is flat out off my list of even considering them for buying anything.

It just gives them the data they need for high pressure marketing BS.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
All they are asking for is your contact information so they can make the connection and hopefully start negotiating on a sale.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
FWIW, this is fairly common practice. Even Best Buy and other "reputable" retailers used to have an "add to cart to see price" years back.

Just create a "junk" email address that you use only for websites like these, then you can give them your contact info without *really* giving them your contact info. This is pretty decent practice to safeguard your identity anyway. Just be sure to never tie that email to any financial information.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Dealer Claim

I’ve never been able to put Best Buy and ‘reputable’ into the same sentence, based on my experiences in the past.

Just a darn good thing I have very high resistance to hard selling associates that have no idea about the technical data involved in what they are selling. Won’t set foot in their stores nowadays.

And yeah, a dead end email address, as you suggested, is a darn fine idea in general for personal security. The other thing is to make sure your personal data on the internet is generally inaccurate or very misleading!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If you are a legitimate buyer why would you be reluctant to provide your contact information to the dealer. I have a feeling that they are just trying to avoid wasting time on ‘tire kickers’.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
If you are a legitimate buyer why would you be reluctant to provide your contact information to the dealer. I have a feeling that they are just trying to avoid wasting time on ‘tire kickers’.
Agree; some folks seem to get "emotional" about "stuff" lately! I look for the lowest price and if a dealer is going to get on my "radar" with an unsolicited add, I would be remiss not to follow up...after all, not like they are asking for a "check"....yet, that is! I have followed up on 2 dealers I saw online offering good deals; one in Florida, and one in CA...both dealers ended up offering me 20-22% type pricing discount and included other stuff to sweeten the deal...no emotion...I did end up purchasing from one of these folks...no issues. A good deal is a good deal...if your not smart enough to figure that out, who's fault is that anyway?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
If you are a legitimate buyer why would you be reluctant to provide your contact information to the dealer.
Because I don't need 4 e-mails a day and several phone calls after they sell my information.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Because I don't need 4 e-mails a day and several phone calls after they sell my information.

Precisely what I’m trying to avoid.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Why not just call the dealer and ask them for the best price on the unit you're interested in?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Just a thought after looking at the #1 Airstream dealer in the country’s website. Current model year says “call us for price”. Previous year models still in stock have a selling price.

It’s likely that Airstream, like a lot of other manufacturers, has language in their contract that says dealers can only advertise MSRP for current products. Most of the electronics stores like Best Buy are governed by the same requirements. So call or put it in your shopping cart to see the price.

It would be a pretty hard up Airstream dealer that would make money on selling your contact information to have another revenue stream.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’ve never been able to put Best Buy and ‘reputable’ into the same sentence, based on my experiences in the past.
Well that's why I put "reputable" in quotes. ;-)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Man, that is some bad logic/advice right there. How about: "If you really want to help the guy, why not send that Nigerian Prince your banking information so he can restore his rightful place at the throne?"

Have you *been on* the internets? It doesn't work like 1950's small town America. You can't trust *or* expect the best.

It's unfortunate, but you MUST proceed with caution at every turn.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Man, that is some bad logic/advice right there. How about: "If you really want to help the guy, why not send that Nigerian Prince your banking information so he can restore his rightful place at the throne?"

Have you *been on* the internets? It doesn't work like 1950's small town America. You can't trust *or* expect the best.

It's unfortunate, but you MUST proceed with caution at every turn.
Are you kidding ... it was the dealer's website, not some 'Nigerian Prince'; and the OP went to the website unsolicited. What world do you live in that you are afraid to contact a legitimate business?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Ringgold , Georgia
Hi Dirtbeard, that dealer is just trying to get contact information so they can start a conversation and hopefully sell you a new Airstream. In my 50 plus years of buying cars and boats here’s my advice. Try to find the Airstream you’re looking for at the closest dealers to you. Take a day or weekend trip to that dealer and look at the unit you’re interested in with the sales person that meets you at the door. If it meets your requirements go back inside and ask to meet the sales manager. Tell them you’re ready to buy today IF the price is right. We know 22-23% is a fair amount off but shoot a little higher, maybe 27-30% and ask them face to face for their best price, DO NOT MAKE THEM AN OFFER. See what kind of price they come back with, now you can counter their offer with your offer of 30% off. If they know you’re sitting in the office with your check book in hand my guess they will meet you somewhere in the middle they’re not going to let you walk without buying. The internet has its place for buying inexpensive stuff but buying a big ticket items is still best done face to face. Good luck!
boatdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
Thanks to all.

I get that it's a marketing ploy, it just smacks of the car-dealer commercials where they shout (and they always shout) - "Our prices are so low we can't advertise them here!"

I'm also not afraid of getting on a mailing list, or being sold, and I am in the market - however, I am adverse to be lied to. If a dealership wants to say "Call for price" or even "Fill out this form for best quote" - that's fair. But to say Airstream (notice they say manufacturer not Airstream) won't let them is highly suspicious. And as rmkrum said, if they are that blatant on their website, I'm likely crossing them off the list of consideration.
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Some free advice on negotiation. Take it for it’s worth

Good luck with your purchase.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...ml#post1833980
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
"Bait and Switch" is a old ploy,,,,,still works, but there are more modern ways now.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Why not just call them per their request ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote