Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
coto de caza , California
buying new 23 flying cloud

we are looking at purchasing a 23' Flying Cloud...it seems in this economy there would be fantastic deals out there...would anyone be willing to share what percentage off MSRP is now possible?

We would also be trading in a 1995 Tioga 31' motorhome.....we live in Southern California but would be willing to travel to pick up a new AS..

Thanks for any help (our first trailer)
pdl2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
back in 06..

I bought new in 06, when the economy was a pumpin' and got 24% off MSRP without much haggling. This was in part the model I picked was not real popular and had been on the lot for a year.

I would think upwards of over 25 percent should be attainable now....
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
coto de caza , California
thanks

is your pic from the Mod Squad? haha
pdl2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi

I agree, Dealers get more motivated the longer a unit sits in inventory. Very few buy with cash, but rather "floor plan" their inventory via a commercial loan. They pay interest only on each unit until they sell it. Interest erodes their profit every month.

How much can you really get off? 25% should be possible, more could be gotten if the dealer is desperate and you're willing to be real hardass.

Oh and just as a side note, if you use your A/S a lot you will be back at the dealer getting service from time to time - I'd rather pay a bit more and work with a highly reputable dealer than squeeze a nickel until the buffalo doo-doo's in my hand... and get incompetent service at the dealer.

Really good service departments cost money to run. Techs have to be paid even if the dealership is short on work. In this economy there have been many dealers who have gone out of business and others who have figured out that they can survive as RV maintenance facilities... but can't afford the overhead of having 100 RV's sitting on their lots. A top notch dealer won't cut his own throat to sell you an Airstream - the ones who will... might not have the skills or goals to have a good service department.

I'm on the other coast, so I can't comment on which dealers are the best for service in your area... but if you ask, you will get input from fellow Californians.

ooooooooh new Airstream.... ooooh. Kewl!

Paula
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
What paula said!!!

Here is the nations largest dealer site, www.colonialairstream.com I would recommend you look at their inventory and priceing to get an idea of what pricing reductions are being offered up front.

My thoughts on AS dealers. From what I have been told, and what I have calculated on my own there are about 75 to 85 airstream dealers in the US. Most of these dealers have little AS inventory on site. Most of these dealers see AS as a side model. Ninety (90%) of all Airstreams are sold by the top 10 Airtream dealers. I live in Washington state and we have two dealers here. ONE ONLY sells AS only, (NO OTHER BRANDS OF RV) and that is www.airstreamofspokane. The other sells every kind of RV know to man. They are (thier claim) the largest RV dealer in the Northwest or the west period. From Owners I have talked too.... Spokane gives service...the other guys sell product. Just my thoughts now...you may find other opionions.

shop around,,,,many dealers have inventory that has been setting well over a year. If one of these fits your need you could get that 25%, maybe. GOOD LUCK.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
You might get 20-25% on a 2008 or earlier particularly on a Sport since they don't seem to be selling and are being heavily discounted. But I seriously doubt you'll be able to get that much on a 2009 Flying Cloud - at least not yet. That day may come depending on what happens in the future but at the moment I would think you'd be lucky to get much more than 15% unless you can find a dealer that's dropping AS and just wants to get rid of what's on the lot. The 2010 Model Year will start in May if Airstream follows past practice.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdl2win View Post
we are looking at purchasing a 23' Flying Cloud...it seems in this economy there would be fantastic deals out there...would anyone be willing to share what percentage off MSRP is now possible?

We would also be trading in a 1995 Tioga 31' motorhome.....we live in Southern California but would be willing to travel to pick up a new AS..

Thanks for any help (our first trailer)
Hi, truth is, you won't get that great of a deal while having a trade-in especially a motorhome. Whatever great deal you get on the trailer will be off-set by the lousy appraisal on the motorhome. Sell the motorhome yourself and buy your new trailer in Oregon and have C&G trailer service do your warranty repairs.

[This may not be what you wanted to hear/read, but it is the truth.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
if you use your A/S a lot you will be back at the dealer getting service from time to time - I'd rather pay a bit more and work with a highly reputable dealer than squeeze a nickel until the buffalo doo-doo's in my hand... and get incompetent service at the dealer.

Paula
To me, that sounds like you're saying if you bargain too hard they won't do a good job when you go back for service, but they will do a good job if you pay more up front. I'm probably taking that the wrong way, but I don't agree with that. A reputable company will do a good job even if you buy the unit somewhere else.

I also believe that a dealer needs to make a reasonable profit so they are around for you to do service. A good deal is one that's fair to all parties.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I don't think that is what Paula was saying. I think she meant there are dealers and there are good service departments and then there are dealers with good service departments.

There used to be comments made that some dealers wouldn't service Airstreams they didn't sell or, at least, they would put Airstreams bought from other dealers at the bottom of the list when they came in for repairs. I guess I can understand why they would give their customers priority over another dealer's customers. After all, they didn't make any profit off the other dealer's customers. I wouldn't like it, but I can understand it.

Like Safari SS, I bought a less than popular model (the same model he bought) that had been discontinued but was a new unit and current year model at the time. It had only been on the lot less than four months, but I made an offer that was 22% off sticker and got it without hesitation. In fact, I made the offer and completed the deal over the phone. I was comfortable with that price and felt I was not squeezing the dealer's profit margin too much and at the same time didn't feel like I was putting too much money on the table. I thought I was being fair. Apparently the dealer thought so, too.

I agree with Robertsunrus, you can't expect much trade in allowance for your motor home in this economy with the volatility in fuel prices we've seen so I'd try and sell it myself if I were you and take the money and use it toward the purchase of the unit you want. I've always felt like you are more in control of the deal when you don't have a trade in and you have your financing lined up ahead of time. When you have those two things taken care of, you take the control away from the salesperson and the dealer doesn't have places to "hide" extra profit that comes out of your pocket.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote