Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
Buying an Airstream in Another State

I have found the year and model of airstream that I would like to buy, but I wonder if I find a good deal on the west coast (I am on the east coast), how I could make the purchase work? I do not have vacation time to pick up until December, has anyone purchased an aistream in another state? Is it possible to complete the purchase, and store it there until I can pick it up? I would appreciate input on how I would be able to make something like this work. If I see a good deal on the model that I want I would like to make the purchase. Thanks for your time!
Chef Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Williamsburg , Virginia
We had been looking for a trailer for a few months when we found one that fit our needs and budget (a 1975 Argosy 24'), but unfortunately it was in Wisconsin and we live in Virginia. After we "settled up" with the seller, we "guestimated" what it would cost for us to go get it - time off work, gas to drive there, a few nights in a motel, boarding our dogs, etc... and we decided to hire someone to tow it here for us. I got some bids from uship.com and I also called an RV dealer in the Wisconsin area and got a name from them of somebody they knew of that did that kind of thing. The guy I went with was an independent hauler and he did a great job. He got the trailer to us fast and in good condition. He did want about half of the money up front which made my wife a little nervous, but in the end everything worked out and we were pleased.

I know that if I were in your shoes and I found the trailer I really wanted, I'd hate to wait until December to go and get it. Best of luck!
paul903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Jeff- you want to bring an AS across state lines? Can you do that? I tyhought there were laws against that. SORRY! Just had to do it. There are a bunch of great folks here on the forum who have stepped up and are listed as Volunteer Inspectors. You may want to ask for help from someone who may be in the area of the trailer and they would be very happy to check it out for you. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Don't buy it without seeing it. New or used ......don't do it. Read all you can here and educate youself the best you can on what issues to look for when buying either new or used.
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yeah, I'm with Trophy.

I'd also wait and look to buy something when I was ready.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - and see you on the road.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
I've bought two out of state. One from Florida one from Mississippi. The only problem I've found is that you pay no sales tax in the state where your purchase it. When you get to your home state and tag it, all the taxes are due then. It's going to hurt.

Mike
Ramble Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
We bought ours from a dealer in CA. They charged us some extra $ and had someone tow it to NV. We took delivery at the state line and took it home to ID where we had to pay sales tax at registraiton time. We ended up saving a little money on taxes but what a hassle!
nwmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
Ketchum Idaho

Thanks for the great responses! I didn't realize that people here actually volunteer to inspect a vehicle? Also didn't think of hiring someone to transport for me. nwsmith- I am flying in to Ketchum on Tuesday, and would love to check out your airstream and maybe pick your brain about the area as I will likely be parking my future airstream there in the summers. Thanks again for all who took the time to respond!
Chef Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote