Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #21

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Tualatin , Oregon
How Do You Want To Use It?

I like the Interstate but it feels a little too small. I love the interior of the Atlas and just about everything about it but it is new and it's pricey. Really pricey (but what isn't about an Airstream).

After much research and multiple visits to RV shows and dealers, we chose the Interstate over the Bambi. Grandma wanted something that she could feel comfortable both driving and using so the onus for everything wouldn't be on Grandpa. We have a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour EXT. It is our first RV and we've had mixed feelings about it. We initially assumed that anything that cost six figures would arrive in near-perfect condition. That was not the case and we spent a lot of time going back and forth to the dealer (who wasn't always able to fix things the first time around).

Pro: Can park it in the driveway (no storage fee), easy to set up and break down, spacious refrigerator/microwave and counter space, good interior storage, generous bed size, classy exterior.

Con: Cannot boondock (refrigerator is elec only), chronic problems with batteries, automatic shades and screen door on side, noisy generator.

Additionally, you must also be prepared to set up the bed each night which is fairly easy (we use an RV Superbag) but means that if one person is tired, the other essentially has to hunker down in the front cab area which has poor lighting for reading/working. The interior is very well designed but there is still limited space. We are not particularly tall people so it works for us.

Our original plan was to use the coach to go to state and national parks but, because of the refrigerator limitations (the dealer told us we could go about 2 days on battery....NOT TRUE), we've been stuck sticking to places with hook-ups.

Don't know if we will keep the coach. May go to a small towable or a slightly larger Leisure Class B model.

Hope this helps you with your decision!
mssciteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
First things, first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDF22 View Post
Hi All -

I am an avid Airstream travel trailer fan. Was over the moon after buying a 2015 FC 19'. Even more over the moon when trading for a 2017 25' FC (queen size bed, bigger potty). After keeping it at a year round site for this past year, I realize I am not using it the way I dreamed of - to travel more. It's parked. Pros and cons as we do spend a lot of time at it on the weekends. I now realize that I am a little intimidated of trailering. Mostly the amount of work that goes into hitching it up and attaching the anti-sway hitch (holy hard!). I am thinking of a Class B or B+ to free me from hesitation to travel.

I like the Interstate but it feels a little too small. I love the interior of the Atlas and just about everything about it but it is new and it's pricey. Really pricey (but what isn't about an Airstream). Thinking it may be best to wait a year or so on making decisions. My concerns on the Atlas are: (1) Is it overpriced? (2) Should I wait a year to see if Airstream will stick with producing it? Seems a lot of B+ models are being phased out but I like the idea of them. (3) Is it easier to travel with than a travel trailer? Thoughts on pros and cons?

Thanks so much for any advice!
First, you need to drive both the Interstate and the Atlas!

I LOVE driving the Interstate because it is easy, small and agile. We don't have a towed because we find it easy to leave/return to a parking spot. We don't need a long drive-through space because it's easy to back in. We don't need a wide space because we have no slides (helpful in forests). We don't have to hook up every evening because we have solar/lithium and sufficient tanks for days. We can go where vans go... in short, we can TRAVEL.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I love driving my interstate, but I am a solo traveller. I don't feel comfortable towing by myself. After looking inside several airstream trailers, all I can say is WOW. There is so much more room even in the smaller ones. So I think the big question is how much room do you feel comfortable with or need to do the things you want to do. I think you have to really love someone or be 100% comfortable with a co-camper in an interstate. It is very tight quarters and none of the tanks hold what a trailer holds. It also sounds like most of us who really camp in one plan on doing several thousand dollars in modifications to make it livable without the stress of battery problems, which I will be doing in November. I don't know if the Atlas is better in that reguard. This is just my opinion.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
As an 11 year Interstate owner, I think it’s the best way to travel.

Now traveling with the dog, my late husband and I put 146,000 miles on ours in 6 1/2 years, and got along just fine in terms of space.

We wanted to see the country, he loved to drive, and the Interstate was the perfect choice.

It really just depends on what you want, don’t want, can and cannot handle.

We liked the space and fuel economy, being completely self contained and self sufficient, being able to park in a regular space and utilize those last-to-go small sites in campgrounds.

My husband also didn’t want to tow anything, and we wanted something I could drive and handle in an emergency.

Personally, having just replaced the 06 with an 07, I prefer the older, all manual models to the newer models with electronic everything and intricate internal systems that seem to cause so many problems.

The older models are also propane and electric, allowing easier boondocking than the new all electrics that drain the batteries so quickly.

If what you want is to go and see and be easily mobile, an Interstate is a great choice, but look at older, simpler models.

If you need more space, and don’t mind towing, a trailer may be for you.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
I just sold my 20FB and purchased a 2017 25FB. The dealership set it up with a typical anti sway hitch. I replaced it with the Anderson Antisway hitch from my 20. It’s lighter, simpler, and you don’t have to deal with the bars or the pipe to connect them. It is rated for up to 14,000 lbs I believe.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
We flipped a 23 ft Airstream and my wife will never ride with a trailer again. We love our 4wd Interstate Ext but you do have to get used to traveling light. The trade off is that you can go anywhere and hookups are a breeze. If you are not picky about brand and worry about price consider Leisure Travel Vans which essentially modeled the first Atlas off the assembly lines. They are on the same sprinter chassis and in many respects have more advanced features than the Atlas when it comes to their on demand hot water systems and forthcoming solar systems. They are a bit less pricey but also are in demand as production is limited out of Canada.

Happy travels!!
Taos Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
Trading in my Interstate for a Globetrotter 27. The aisle is only 25 inches wide. My wife and I have trouble passing each other. It really is only big enough for one person and one dog.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #28
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
[QUOTE=LDF22;2140268]Hi All -

Mostly the amount of work that goes into hitching it up and attaching the anti-sway hitch (holy hard!).

The key to the WD hitch is to keep pressure on the jack. After you connect the WD chains and flip up the bracket you then raise the jack all the up. Much easier than trying to flip the bracket with all the weight on the system with the jack disengaged.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi, solo woman, full timer, +10 years.

About to go back to brick and mortar, but comtinue to weekend or caravan. Aging (or aching) out from bad joints.

I am seriously thinking about an a-frame trailer. Dead simple, no frou-frou stuff to repair at $$$$$. Sure it will be a piece of junk in 10 years... so will I. Priced so much lower than A/S I could have a cleaning crew detail it monthly.

Or the oliver?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just bringing these links from Post #4 to the forefront here, for anyone considering the Atlas.

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum! You might want to read these Atlas threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ey-172716.html
Atlas is History: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ry-184772.html

. . . as well as check out these "Atlas" results using the new blue search box above:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Atla...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . .
I am seriously thinking about an a-frame trailer. Dead simple, no frou-frou stuff to repair at $$$$$. Sure it will be a piece of junk in 10 years... so will I. Priced so much lower than A/S I could have a cleaning crew detail it monthly.
. . .
Like this?

http://chaletinc.com/a-frame/

Still plenty of things to go wrong and/or to repair IMO . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hi, solo woman, full timer, +10 years.

About to go back to brick and mortar, but comtinue to weekend or caravan. Aging (or aching) out from bad joints.

Or the oliver?
If you are going to get away from Airstream due to age/aches, I wouldn't think an A frame would be dead simple, aren't they manual expansion, that would be quite a bit of work. I would look to find one of those Safari Alto expandable, a good compromise from A frame to Oliver
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
Would again highly recommend the Interstate Grand Tour EXT. We have had some problems with our 2018 but love the ease of hookup and driving. Would also recommend upgrading the suspension and refer to sprinterupgrades.com for advice. If you want to go to a bit larger class C and are willing to look at another brand I would not go with an Atlas but go to LTV. See: https://leisurevans.com/serenity/
Taos Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
If you are going to get away from Airstream due to age/aches, I wouldn't think an A frame would be dead simple, aren't they manual expansion, that would be quite a bit of work. I would look to find one of those Safari Alto expandable, a good compromise from A frame to Oliver
I have assisted in deploying one. Weight is a non issue... some bigger ones now have electric assist. Of course der go da simple!
I am thinking of tent size less than 15 ft deployed. Food storage in a Yeti, cooking 2 burner propane, furnace - kidding right? Porta pot, outside shower for skunk attack only. Comfy mattress must have.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We have a 25 Excella and a truck camper. The tc is very easy to travel with, but I have to say the AS tows like a dream. We have use an Equalizer for ~ 13-14 yrs now and it is very easy to use and has been rock solid. I can’t imagine a WD hitch that would be better than perfect.
We have towed 10k’s of miles with this setup. Neve an issue.
When we travel, the EQ just stays in the receiver, I never remove it.
If you really don’t like to tow, maybe a tc or B is the way to go?

Safe travels, bill