Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
best way to sell Airstream?

Due to a slow down in my business and limited time for use, we are considering selling are 2005 25' Safari. Not really what we want to do but I feel that someone else may enjoy it more than we are at this point.
Never having sold a RV before, I would like to hear opinions on the best way to go about this. I do notice that here in VA there are not many used Airstreams listed.
Thanks for the help on this sad topic.
Dave
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Dave, since many will travel to pick up an item such as a trailer I'd try the mass communication approach....EBay and Craigslist. Take the usual precautions about selling this way....strangers showing up, getting paid etc. If there's a local RV park or Camping world maybe a flyer on their bulletin board. Also, post on this site.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sorry to hear that you're not getting to use your Airstream. Probably the best place to start offering your safari for sale is in the Classifies Section of these Forums. You will need to sign in to the Classified Section separately to place an ad. You will use your regular user name and password. Take a few good pictures to put in your ad. I would also take numerous photos that you can email to interested parties. When you take your photos, take them at the lowest resolution setting that you camera allows. 10 megapixel photos make for troublesome transmission.

You may also want to consider an Ebay listing.

Late model 25's, especially FB's, in great shape seem to go fast.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I agree with Brian. I have sold 4 Airstreams, all of them from being listed at AirForums. Sorry to hear that you are not able to use it as much as you would like.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
a frivolous proposal

Hem-ahem! (reality check - if you have children don't read any further)

Rent your house - live in the Airstream for a year or two - you'll be shocked at how much money you can save if you shop for the appropriate camping site.

Trick is to find a "Time Share" campground - like virtually all timeshares people who bought them years ago are generally fed up with paying the annual maintenance fees, and will often sell their memberships for a song. (Some GIVE them away just to get the bill to go away.) I can camp 30 to 36 weeks in my timeshare for a total cost of about $1350! During the times I have to be off site (one week after every four week stay, and January/February) I'll boondock during moderate weather or go to the more expensive full service campgrounds if I'm going to NEED A/C or the heatpump. Total camping cost - $5500 per year - excluding tow vehicle and fuel. Includes cell phone.

Paula
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sorry to hear you have to sell. I think the classifieds on Air will be the best place and its free! I drove from Kansas City to Williamsburg to get mine just 2 months ago! 2600 miles round trip. I paid with a cashiers check and waited for the sellers bank to to release the title. It worked out fine. Or a wire transfer. I would look on RVT and Ebay to get an idea of price. I got mine very close to book but most AS dealers were way over. Supply and demand. =) yours should sell fast. One thing I have noticed (I'm in the merchadising side of Citizen Watch Company) is how few or bad the pictures are. Clean the trailer, make the bed, make it look nice just like an open house. It might help sell it. Good luck.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Sometimes it help to sell the whole package, i.e,. the trailer with the tow vehicle. All depends on the buyer's and the seller's needs.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Just got in from work and after reading all repleys it makes me even more sad to think of selling, but with that said Its just to nice of a toy to sit in my driveway and look pretty. So I think I will start with the AS classified's and craigslist.
I like Paula's idea alot but I need my house and shop for now. Maybe in 10 years I could do that.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone is interested drop me an e-mail.
Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Best way to sell begins when it was first purchased!

Last month we sold our 10-year-old 2007 Airstream Safari SE 23' 8 days after our ad appeared on Airstream Classifieds.

Part of the success of selling for us is that this trailer has been well documented ever since we first brought it home. AirForums presents wonderful ways to document the trailer's amenities, images, trips, improvements, fixes, upgrades, etc. Over the years I did this with my AirForums' thread, "SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!", and on other sub-forums and threads.

In addition to AirForums, there are other fun ways to document your trailer on the Internet, such as having a blog or Facebook page. I documented our trailer on "History Safari Express," including the article, "The selling of our Airstream trailer."

Two days after the ad was posted, we got a positive response that looked promising from a local, young family who came to see the trailer and decided after a few days of serious contemplation that this trailer would be a perfect match, and we agreed!

The transaction was completed with a cashier’s check, bill of sale, and Notice of Title Transfer and Release of Liability. I then reviewed with the buyer how everything worked and assisted in hitching up the trailer to his 2016 RAM 3500 truck. I then followed him in our truck, filled with camping items that we no longer needed, and assisted him in parking and unhitching the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721 Our Airstream ad on AirForums' Classifieds.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	296462  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote