Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Nashville , Tennessee
Best place to sell a Bambi - TN or CA?

Hello everyone -

I'm not sure I'm selling my 16ft Bambi or not, but if I do, I'm wondering where would be the better location...

Long story short, it's a new 2017 Sport that I bought in LA to sleep in while I cleaned out my Mom's house after she passed away. It probably has about 500 miles on it total, and it has solar and battery upgrades, Tekonsha brake controller, an equalizer hitch, and a cell phone booster installed.

Right now it's in California, but I live in Nashville. I finished the job at Mom's and haven't decided yet whether I'll keep the trailer.

So....I wanted to ask the forums if I do decide to sell it, if y'all thought it would make more sense to drive it back to Nashville to sell it, or sell it out here in California? Any observed difference in pricing and demand between the Southeast & West Coast?

Thanks for the advice!

HollyBee in CA (for now)
HollyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Either way you are going to lose a ton of money. Driving a new trailer off the lot and selling so quickly is going to end up costing you at least 25% or more in my opinion. New trailers are generally selling for 20% to 25% off MSRP. Sounds like you have already decided to sell. I would take it on to TN and put it up for sale here in the classifieds. Whatever you decide beware of scammers. Good Luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I'm guessing you had dreams of using it to camp, but then decided otherwise? Seems like a lot of expense for a place to sleep.

Sorry to hear of your mom passing, best of luck to you.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
List it in both locations and here on this site and offer to bring it back for a serious buyer. You have to make the trip either way although flying would be an option if sold in ca.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
California - Why tow it all the way to TN to sell it? Good luck with your sale. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
why tow it to Tenn? If there is a buyer there? Problem selling in Ca and living in Tenn will be tire kickers wanting to see the trailer but not serious enough to buy and waisting your time. An accurate discription disclosing ALL defects and plenty of quality pictures so a potential buyer knows exactly what they are in for and hopefully can make a desision to buy based on your ad and only needing to make eye contact to confirm. And priced correctly.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks for the advice everyone - I have really enjoyed living in the Bambi while I dealt with stuff....with AirBnB prices in LA around 4k per month, I'll probably at least break even on the Bambi if I sell it. If my hubby likes it, we may decide to keep it instead...but I don't want to keep it if it's just gonna sit around once we get back to Nashville. The original plan was to drive around and "find my way" again since I lost both parents, and my dogs within a 4 month period....but it's been six months now, and I think I'm ready to head back home.
HollyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd sell it in CA.

But I'd really recommend keeping it.

I'm third generation. Folks keep these things for decades.

Plenty of nice places to go from Nashville. Think three-day weekends.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you bought it in CA.... and if it is IN CA.... then I'd resell it in CA. I would then claim the salestaxes I paid when I bought it as a tax deduction since you bought it for "resale"...(check with your tax advisor on that feasibility)... and avoid transporting it to TN and the inherent risk, wear/tear (not to mention storage-problems) and expense of moving it across the county. Plus things sell for more money in CA, all other things being equal.

You might also contact your original sales-person and ask about their consignment/commission policy.... they will have an excellent opportunity to tell about how it was used for a short time and might also offer certain warranty benefits to a new owner. There's an excellent chance they can go pick it up, clean it up, and display it without your need to travel to CA.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Of course sell it in Cali as you know we #$@* money when we need it out here.
Should be an easy sale..LOL!
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Of course sell it in Cali as you know we #$@* money when we need it out here.
Should be an easy sale..LOL!

I'd keep it if it were me.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Either way you are going to lose a ton of money. Driving a new trailer off the lot and selling so quickly is going to end up costing you at least 25% or more in my opinion. New trailers are generally selling for 20% to 25% off MSRP.
That's assuming she paid close to list price. How do you know they didn't get 20-25% off? If so, then they might be looking at a 5-10% hit.

16s are very popular. In such new condition and with a transferable warranty, this will be an easy sale in CA or TN.

Holly, you had a really tough patch for sure. Sorry to hear. Blessings.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
A lot more people in California, and a lot more money ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Airstreams seem to sell for more money in California, I assume because the dry climate doesn't rust vehicles out here. If it was me I'd sell it here or maybe put it on consignment if you are back in Tennessee.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
short suff

2016 16' Sport
Gallatin , Tennessee
I live in Nashville and there is not an Airstream dealer here or close. Fewer people but fewer people selling Airstreams maybe higher price. Either way good luck and many blessings your way for such a tough 6 months.
short stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
You already own it, why not keep it, join the WBCCI and have some fun! The Nashville Music City unit is very active and right there where you live. The Airstream only Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground in Crossville is beautiful. Whats not to like?