Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Big Stone Gap , Virginia
Bruce Miller at Haydocy in Columbus Ohio!
ward143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Derry , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
...if you don't mind my asking, how young is the youngest buyer ever at Colonial?

28 according to the tech who did my walk through
ClaysandBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus View Post
I purchased from Northtrail in Ft Meyers and found Mike Harlan and Derek Weekley sales manager and sales rep respectively to be the most knowledgeable Airstream folks.
Strangely enough, I dealt with them also. I liked them a lot...............until they wouldn't budge a penny on their price. Derek also told me that there's nothing wrong with Good Year Marathons, it's just owners don't inflate them properly.
They're still in the running, but I've decided to sell my MH outright instead of trading. They offered me below low retail NADA against full retail on their 2017 AS. $$$
BTW, the unit they wouldn't compromise with me on is still in their inventory 5 months later.

I just wanted to arm myself with information. I'm not sure how far I'd drive for a good deal. Certainly not California.
New Jersey? That's a long way. Unfortunately, the unit I want isn't common on dealer's lots. Yes, I can order, and probably will, although I'd like to stop dreaming and get towing.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From the major things that were wrong with our 2015 23D International Serenity, I have to think that the New Jersey dealer's PDI was done in the coffee mess. Somehow I felt our nearly $70,000 purchase was not important to them.

We took the rig as it was to a modification center (A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX) where all the issues were corrected using the correct parts which were mostly non-Airstream sourced.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Mollysdad-PM sent
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #26
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
I've often written about my positive experience with Colonial. I'd send my family and closest friends without any reservations. I'm very pleased with pre-sales coordination (Patrick), sale (Patrick), and post-sales support (via their service center). Good luck with your decision.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Colonial. And I'm from Tampa.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
....... Unfortunately, the unit I want isn't common on dealer's lots. Yes, I can order, and probably will, although I'd like to stop dreaming and get towing.
Hi

The order process is a pretty long one unless you get lucky with something already in the pipeline.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Which brings up a point…

If you get quotes from multiple dealers and have them bid against each other (low bid wins), then if two dealers offer the same price on identical trailers, then the closer dealer wins.

The costs involved in traveling to inspect and take possession of the trailer are sunk costs. You have to consider them as well when you're working out how much you can afford to pay. So the farther away the dealer is, the better deal they have to offer to be competitive. The costs you pay just to visit a dealer halfway across the country don't go into the dealer's pocket, but they come out of your pocket.

Of course when it comes to used trailers, each one is unique. Getting quotes from multiple dealers and having them bid against each other to get your business (as I did when I bought my Airstream Interstate) doesn't work for used trailers. But it's definitely a valid strategy when buying new, as long as you limit the competition to dealers that you feel you can trust.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
That got my attention.

Since my former job had me flying a lot, I still have nearly two million FF miles in reserve. I could fly to check out a unit, and it wouldn't cost me except for a car (or Uber) and hotel.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Tampa to Lakewood, NJ is 1098 miles via I-95.
That's not too bad except skirting Washington and the NYC metro area.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Tampa to Lakewood, NJ is 1098 miles via I-95.
That's not too bad except skirting Washington and the NYC metro area.
You don't need to go as far as NYC which is an hour north of Lakewood. You can avoid D.C. if you come up I75. Still gotta go around ATL on that route though
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #33
Bob & Clestine

2018 27' Globetrotter
Cosby , Tennessee
The best dealer is a 2 part question...
1. The best purchase experience/price.
2. The best warranty service experience.

We purchased our trailer from Colonial because they were the only dealer that had what we wanted in stock in the eastern half of the US. We got a great price and were very pleased with the sales experience, (Patrick at Colonial).

Our warranty service experience at the local dealer: Call local dealer and we are told they only warranty service units they sell. We then contacted Jackson Center and they were able to pressure the local dealer to do the work. We are a day drive from Jackson Center and they will get all of our future business.
TinCan Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My wife and I made a trip out of it. It was two days up and five days down. We stayed in four different campsites on our way down, driving 3-4 hours each day. So I had to pay for the gas, the meals, and two hotel nights on the way up. The adventure? Priceless.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
I would not deal with Colonial again. Maybe everyone else thinks they are great but not me. We bought a used 2007 Safari 25 FB from them. There was a discoloration in the floor that we asked about and they brushed it off as nothing. Clearly it was much more than nothing and I find it hard to believe they didn't know it was water damage and hoped we weren't knowledgeable enough to know what it was. Fortunately we found Airforums and addressed the issue and have enjoyed the trailer immensely.
I second that. I bought a brand new Interstate. When I got it home the generator would not work. Took it back to Colonial and they couldn't fix it. Sent me To Camping World, an Onan service center. They took it out, had it for three months and reinstalled it, but charged me for the service. Prior to authorizing the service I spoke with Colonial's service manager who said "Authorize the service, we will cover the cost". It took two years and multiple emails and phone calls before I was reimbursed. Calling the Airstream factory was the only thing that got them to acknowledge their responsibility
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Decatur , Georgia
We just bought our used 25FB from Marvin @ JD sanders in FL. We live in Atlanta. Best price, service, detail. Couldn't be happier to have wrote the check. No pressure was put on us which made it even better! Meet some fellow air streamers while we where down there. He told me yesterday while we where picking ours up that he just got in a used 23FB! So call today if you want a great priced in used or new.
kbullington5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
I would not deal with Colonial again. Maybe everyone else thinks they are great but not me. We bought a used 2007 Safari 25 FB from them. There was a discoloration in the floor that we asked about and they brushed it off as nothing. Clearly it was much more than nothing and I find it hard to believe they didn't know it was water damage and hoped we weren't knowledgeable enough to know what it was. Fortunately we found Airforums and addressed the issue and have enjoyed the trailer immensely.
I have had 3 Airstreams. I bought one from Colonial and one from Foley. Ron at Foley is excellent. Without going into details Colonial was not that great, in my opinion. Price was about the same, but Foley offered me more for my trade in, and was a little closer to where we live. So I opted for Foley and I'm very happy I did.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
I've got to put in a comment for Out of Doors Mart in Colfax NC (Greensboro). I think they are the oldest Airstream dealer in the country. Their prices are competitive and their PDI and dealer prep is excellent. We've also been pleased with their service and body work. Plus they have a very good parts department. We bought our unit from them after doing a lot of shopping around and would not hesitate to buy from them again even though there is a dealer a couple hundred miles closer to us.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
JDSanders for me.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #40
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
In your opinion, who's the best Airstream dealer?

I'd like to limit it to the east coast.

Best can be price, service, attitude, sales staff, attention to detail after the sale.

Big doesn't necessarily make the best, IMO. I'd guess the best dealers are mid sized, too small and they don't have the parts and mechanics, too big and you're just a number.

We had a good experience with North trail RV. Worked with Derek Weekly and Mike Harlan.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote