Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Airstream travel trailer dealers in south

So I live along the savannah Ga border in SC. We have no airstream dealers in SC. None that I can find in GA. The closest would be Orlando RV, out of door mart in NC, and JD Saunders in alachua florida

Orlando is roughly 5 hours
Out of doors mart is 5 hours and 15 min
JD saunders is about 4 hours.

All would be longer trips going at 60mph with a TT.

Do you recommend any of these three over the other or any others I may not know about? To buy new and for service

We travel to orlando a lot for disney so that may be the most convenient if they are all even.

My wife is convinced to buy new since this would be our first she wants the warranty and good service to help us learn the life.

Really wish SC had one..and with the amount of retirement we have around here you would think it would be a priority
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Colonial Airstream always has an extremely large inventory, which is important.

Being able to actually step inside as opposed to visualizing through pictures, will ensure the best possible decision has been made.

While Lakewood NJ is a bit further than those you listed, your time will be well worth the extra effort.

And rest assured, mine will not be the only post on your thread that gives you the same advice.

Good luck in your search!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks. That may be a option. I have certainly found out about them as well as a couple in Ohio through large Web presence they have and all the great information on their site and inventory list. It may be a option for purchase. I have family in Ohio so buying in that area may be possible. I also wouldn't shy away from a long trip for a good deal.

However. I would still like to know about the three listed and others close for service reasons. If I bought from one up north I most likely wouldn't be driving up that ling way for service all the time
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Regardless of where you buy, all dealers must service in warranty issues.

That shouldn't be a concern.

The dealers you list received (to the best of my knowledge), all good comments in this forum. However, their inventories are significantly less (combined, I would think), than Colonial.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We have dealt with Sanders for years....5 Airstreams. Great people and honest. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I am in the Orlando area and I have visited Orlando RV and I just went to Sanders today, and hands down, better people, more selection at Sanders. I talked to Wayne and he was wonderful! They don't have everything, but call and they will be more than happy to help you. I am a first time buyer as well and he sat with me for over two hours and just talked to me. It was wonderful, and worth the drive!
elcodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I visited the new dealer (old Bates) outside Tampa about a month ago. Seems promising. I spoke with an owner.. seems focused on customer service. Detailed oriented. Had a decent stock of a variety of AS models.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I bought new from Bates back in 2006. Are they no longer in business? Ol Frank Bates was a real character.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Beaufort , South Carolina
Coastal,
We are in Beaufort and and have gotten back into Airstreams since 2011. We had them before and moved on to larger units but are back now. We bought a new 23' Serenity from a dealer in Florida in 2011. After using it about a year we decided a little larger unit was necessary. We went to Colonial, twice the distance, and bought there. We have been very pleased with their customer support. I would be glad to correspond privately about our experience with the Florida dealer if you wish.
Another Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yup a real piece of work! Tampa RV assumed his business in December I believe...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Chihowee RV Center is an authorized Airstream near Knoxville, TN. We shopped new Airstreams and without a doubt Colonial had the best prices. However we purchased a used unit (one owner) from Out of Doors Mart. No complaints on the experience or the AS. As it is an 8 hr drive to Out of Doors Mart we have found a reputable dealer close to home for our service needs.

Good luck with your search!!!

ps I believe there is an Airstream dealer near Birmingham, AL.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are no dealers in Alabama.
There may have been a dealer at Oxford or Anniston in the past.

Foley in Gulfport (where I should have bought)
Crain in Little Rock
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Another road- thank you I will send you a pm with some questions. I am right in the same area.

For the other dealer comments. I had a very pleasant conversation with chilhowee rv and wouldn't mind buying from them. If I am in south florida again before I buy I will check out the Tampa dealer..wish I knew about them a couple months ago when i was down there
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we bought new last year at Foley....see my review if interested...really nice folks there...see my profile and find my foley review if you like.

we had got quotes back last year at that same time from most of the places mentioned here and most seemed ok subjectively with one exception, but I will not share it as it may have been just a timing thing so my feeling like they were a bit "car salesman-y" in their approach may just be subjective...you all can feel that out for yourselves.

Good Luck

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Another vote for JD Sanders.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westlake , OH(summer)NC(winter)
We visited JD Sanders last fall. Good people and reputation. They had about 14 AS in stock. Very patient and informative. The founder died last year but they are still family owned. Alachua, FL is 10 miles from Gainesville, my hometown and home of my beloved Florida Gators. It's your chance to mingle with the Gator Nation!!
OHNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
Orlando , Florida
We bought our first Airstream at Bates, then earlier this year we started looking for an upgrade. We went to both Sanders and Orlando. We ended up buying our new 25' from Orlando RV (which is actually in a Winter Park). They have been good to deal with.
Smitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Orlando RV

We also just bought from Orlando RV. Our salesman (Scott Lafferty) and the tech guy ("Brett") were absolutely superb. I also dealt with a dealer in Chicago that I really liked. But Scott really worked hard for our business.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
We traded our AS last year at J D Sanders and found them to be excellent. The salesman we dealt with is Ben Brooks and he is very well informed. Just got back from a trip to FL and went by there to get a couple of things done and the tech who worked on our AS has been with Sanders for 35 years. That says a lot about the organization. Unfortunately there is not a dealer in GA.
Walter
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Could be you could get a dealer near you someday. Dick Gore had one 2014 Interstate a little while back and was advertising as the newest AS dealer in the area. That unit was here in North Jax area, but he also has shops in Richmond Hill (real close to you) and St Augustine. You might want to drop them a line to see what their plans are.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote