Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Chesapeake , Arkansas
Air conditioner

We have a 1975 land yacht. The air blows great it just doesn't blow cold. The RV repair guy keeps telling me that there's no way to make it work. Anyone have any crafty ways we can fix it? Maybe a Jerry rig?
mnhealea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
THe only thing I know of is to try replacing the capacitors to see if the compressor is getting the power to start or run.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

Chesapeake , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
THe only thing I know of is to try replacing the capacitors to see if the compressor is getting the power to start or run.
It runs fine, it blows great actually. It just isn't blowing cold. The guy we talked to said they don't make the coolant for it anymore and that we will have to replace the whole unit. I call b.s. there has to be some type of coolant we can get to make it work
mnhealea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you can find a heating and air conditioning shop that will work on it they are your best bet. Much like the AC in your home the old Armstrong units can be repaired. RV techs don't usually have the knowledge and skills to do this kind of work. They are remove and replace.
Don't go to the expense of it is not an Armstrong unit.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
That's not true I 1976 31ft rear bath original Armstrong bay breeze air conditioner. If you want I can send the parts list whit old part numbers and the new numbers. They are industrial units they are worth saving. I did a few little things myself .I work on ac .but its worth saving. Mine is all original and at discharge it blows 28 degrees.not to mention that it is almost 45 years old. But sounds like they wasn't to sell you junk they all make today.just my opinion.
Dellboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
They take r22.refigerant. but are truly bulletproof.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
They sell the replacement compressor for Armstrong bay breeze air conditioner on amazon.i believe it is a Tecumseh. Compressor. And start run capacitor can be bought at grainger.if it still works. Shoot. It whith r134 car ac refrigerant it will cool if system works.they sell a 3 dollar adapter which goes on the low side copper tube and compresses down.this way you can open the system. And have a service port.put some 134 in see if it cools.ifit does you have a small leak obviously. Just don't run unit contiusly or you can damage it .That's what I did get someone whith a sniffer to find the leak. But all the parts are available. Don't let anybody else tell you that
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Could also be the hard start capacitor. Or the start run capacitor can be bought at Grainger.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
If the compressor runs. Just don't run it to long whith no refrigerant in it.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
And also I personally have topped off my unit whith r 134 I also shot some compressor oil into the system. Mines running strong to this day ital freeze you out of there at night.so I personally don't buy the r22.refigerant and r134 garbage.bottom line it's refrigerant. Works on the same exact principles all air conditioners do.i just don't tell anyone to do exactly what I have done to my equipment. But I haven't replaced one part on mine except the compressor oil and refrigerant. Been cranking cold for two years strong
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Of course you have to make shire there are no leaks.then evacuate the system. If compressor has failed they blow garbage throughout the system. So condenser ETC need to be flushed. Or you will ruin a new compressor.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
It runs fine, it blows great actually. It just isn't blowing cold.
Yes, but there are "two runs" the fan is one blowing air then there is the compressor which works to cool the air. I thought that your unit may have a start capacitor and a run capacitor- some do. If the run capacitor was shot, it may never allow the compressor to work so you would only get fan.

If your coolant is gone you have a leak and that really would signal replacement of the unit.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
True on the capacitor. But a leak doesn't mean you have to replace it depends where the leak is..amazon and there is also a you tube video. That shows the installation of the piercing valve. That's what it's called.and you can buy a cheap sniffer on Amazon for like 15 dollars I paid for the valve and sniffer like 20 bucks.i was told all the same garbage you're being told.these guys don't want to mess whith it.theres no money in it for them. They make. Money selling new junk .They also get kickbacks from the manufacturer. So they tell you it cannot be repaired. Mine has what they call a hard start capacitor and a start run capacitor. The hard start capacitor is when you first power the unit on. Then the start run capacitor kicks the compressor on.if you just turn on the unit and the thermostat is set to on and cool temperature the whole system tries to start up at once.if you turn unit on and set the thermostat to just fan or raise the temperature gradually then the compressor will kick on.thats when the lights flicker a little because of the initial power draw to start the compressor.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Leaks are pretty easy to take care of.at worst you might need a new condenser. Still cheaper than a whole unit.plus as I said tell me a manufacturer who makes a air conditioner that will last fifty years. Or for that matter anything theses days.personally I am tire of all this Chinese made junk.because that's exactly what it all is.They keep you on the service treadmill.buyig this buying that it never ends.and the t.v. techs love it.your hard earned money being sucked out of your wallet. Just my suggestions. I am very good whit mechanichs.most people are intimidated by ac because of the jargon these ac guys throw around.ac is very simple you have a high side and ale side.liqid line which gets turned into a gas then back into a liquid. The condenser removes the heat by the outside fan blowing through it.there are some components on the electrical side but not very complex especially on those units.