Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Chesapeake , Virginia
Add-ons during sale closing

Have a unit on order from one of the Camping World Airstream dealerships. Wondering what extra add-on Products or Services will be presented and/or pushed during the close out of the sale. We already plan to decline the Extended Warranty.
Pdish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, probably an extended warranty. To me, not particularly useful — the trailer itself is warranteed for 3 years (although the major appliances are warranteed by their manufacturers so some are for a shorter period. Most problems will show up in fairly short order and can be dealt with before anything is out of warranty.

Many “dealer warranties” require a pricey annual inspection to keep the warranty in force…

I have seen some postings where the dealership offered ceramic coating. Again, I don’t see the value — yes, waxing or Walbernizing is tedious but, for me, there is value in putting my hands and eyes on every seam and rivet twice a year.
But many folks here rave about ceramic.

Nitrogen in the tires. Very handy if you have to land on an aircraft carrier at 180 knots…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Tire warranty might be offered. Skip it. Your tires will likely age out before they wear out.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I had to buy a darn coupler pin. Demco (the manufacturer) says it is not required but the dealer claimed a liability issue and would not let me leave without one. I still use it because, you know, safety. Plan ahead and bring one with you.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:23 AM   #5
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
From recollection, here are the add-ons

1. Additional clear coat protection. They are called many things, ceramic, triple something something.

2. Extended Warranty

Then these are all the additional things you may want to consider to buy

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post

Then these are all the additional things you may want to consider to buy

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share
That is an entertaining, and overdetermined, list. Not all Airstream owners need or want a callus remover or case for our shotgun shells. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I had to buy a darn coupler pin. Demco (the manufacturer) says it is not required but the dealer claimed a liability issue and would not let me leave without one.
This would irritate me tremendously. $100k+ and you have to buy a $3 coupler pin? I'd be so tempted to walk.
starlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
I had to buy a darn coupler pin. Demco (the manufacturer) says it is not required but the dealer claimed a liability issue and would not let me leave without one. I still use it because, you know, safety. Plan ahead and bring one with you.
I had to do the same thing. I was kind of annoyed that they didn’t spring for that $2 item after I spent nearly $100k on a trailer.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
They will try to up-sell you on extended warranty (decline it), cosmetic-repair insurance (you’ve already got insurance, right?), financing (by offering some kind of “rebate”)…also you are almost assuredly better financed yourself or thru your usual sources,…. Road Hazard insurance is becoming popular… (decline ii, you already have insurance and you have already selected a deductible you are comfortable with)… etc etc.

If they try to up-sell you at closing…Ask them ..”WHY are you just-now bringing this up? WHY haven’t you offered this previously so that I might research the option beforehand?” “Are you trying to Blow this Deal…?? because you’re certainly skating-around on thin ice!”

Try not to lose your temper. When they get “pushy” …mentally take a step-back and enjoy watching them squirm as they worry you might not “go for it”….
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Honestly Colonial Airstream on several purchases did not try to push anything. The service manger called me and asked if I wanted anything added before pickup. He suggested a few things but didn’t push anything.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:14 PM   #10
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Now is the time for action

OP - you should contact the Camping World salesman today and ask them this question, which would allow you to do your homework. Include the inexpensive pin that others have mentioned. Assuming you are an experienced purchaser of expensive things like a house, cars and trailers, IF a salesman waits until the last minute to upswell, then the default answer should be no, because they do NOT have a good enough offer when compared to competitors.

Bring the pin for the coupler AND a pre-recorded “No thank you” so you can just play back the recording IF they try to upsell AFTER you have made the inquiry THIS WEEK!

We also have a trailer on order with Jon’s RV, with a refundable deposit, that some of you may be interested in, since we have not sold our ‘64 trailer, and will be declining the 2024 International 30’, 20% off MSRP. Colonial in NJ confirmed 20% is about as much as you can expect for a discount today. IF you PM me soon, I will provide your name to the dealer when I cancel our order and request our deposit back.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Our offerings were...

This is what we were offered at 'closing'. No hard sell and no idea if this is offered at other dealerships. We declined everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dealer Options offered.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	432799  
Old 06-05-2023, 09:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
We had just the opposite. Being new to the game I asked about the lack of a pin. The guy said it's not required (stamped on the composite coupler head even), but said a lot of folks still want one so went and got me a 1/4" long bolt and nut (no charge ). If nothing else it tells me the coupler is fully engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	432800  
Old 06-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
We had just the opposite. Being new to the game I asked about the lack of a pin. The guy said it's not required (stamped on the composite coupler head even), but said a lot of folks still want one so went and got me a 1/4" long bolt and nut (no charge ). If nothing else it tells me the coupler is fully engaged.

Lol, I guess that was nice of them.

Seems like a great opportunity to have some cheap but quality padlocks laser etched with the dealership name and logo. Who cares if it’s “required,” it’s obviously good practice and a nice branding opportunity while pleasing the customer.

Again, dealers.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Add-ons during sale closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
This is what we were offered at 'closing'. No hard sell and no idea if this is offered at other dealerships. We declined everything.

Holy wow.

These coverage quotes are seriously for only 9 months beyond the 3 year mfg warranty (expiring Feb 2027)?

Good on you for declining!
Old 06-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post

Nitrogen in the tires. Very handy if you have to land on an aircraft carrier at 180 knots…
“Earth's atmosphere is composed of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and one percent other gases. ”

If they want more than a $1 per tire, you might pass on that.

Pretty funny!!!
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Make sure that you discuss with your spouse beforehand and agree that you are not accepting any upsells.

Upholstery damage coverage is another.

We did pay for walbernizing. When we picked up the trailer it was filthy and covered with water spots that I eventually was able to remove. Their only response was that the storage lot was dusty and they made no offer to clean it. Just one reason I would never trust any Airstream dealer to do anything on ours (ever). Well, other than the known good folks up north, but they are too far away.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post

What carrier qualified aircraft can you name that lands at 180 kts?

(The FA18 typical landing approach speed is 134-144 kts depending on weight.)
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote