Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
The pictures you took show me the need for a new floor/or partial, rusty frame needing some welding, rustproofing the frame after. Just for starters. I'd offer 1.5K and continue looking.
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

lambertville , New Jersey
What do you guys think about the one in the classifieds from Virginia: 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24’ - Virginia
MWairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I love pictures and hate them, you get an idea of what it looks like but no clue as to condition. Sounds great looks great but..... Needs some axles and how are the floors? I know what they say but the cabinets look like the bottoms have been exposed to some moister and not from a swab! The price looks okay if it is as they say but are all of the windows Corning? Is the hardware in good shape? Must look to see.
Hope this helps
Cliff
Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Here's another I'm looking at. What does this 'patch job' most likely mean? I'm assuming a leak and crappy fix. How would I fix this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-137312289.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	196322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-804102552.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	196323  

Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I love pictures and hate them, you get an idea of what it looks like but no clue as to condition. Sounds great looks great but..... Needs some axles and how are the floors? I know what they say but the cabinets look like the bottoms have been exposed to some moister and not from a swab! The price looks okay if it is as they say but are all of the windows Corning? Is the hardware in good shape? Must look to see. Hope this helps Cliff
Definitely helps, Cliff. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Oh, those pics make me wanna cry! Those seams look like somebody didn't know or care what they were doing. Or maybe the TT sustained damage that popped a bunch of rivets on the end panels. Big clean up job to get all of that muck off. But if necessary, you could then buck new rivets, as long as the interior end caps are off....and then seal it properly.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Means they let me try to drink a beer then gave me a tube of bathroom caulk! Plastic putty knife some mineral spirits and then tape and caulk with the good stuff! Tempro 360 of something of similar quality. But and I always have a lot of them if there was or is a leak what do the floors look like? How does it smell? Most important how does it feel? They did not do a good job sealing how were their other repairs or modifications? How much and do you have more pictures?
Cliff
Ps what is it?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Never take the seller's word that something works or "worked the last time" that they used it. If they can't be bothered to put a battery in and get the propane running enough to show you that it works, assume that it doesn't. Then research replacement costs and knock that total off the number their offering.

If the stuff actually works, that might motivate them to prove it to you. Otherwise, take a big cut off the price or walk.

After 40 years, original tires will need to be replaced, no matter how pretty they look. Also, poke the floor at the back end, inside the back bathroom wall. A structural flaw pretty much guarantees end rot in that vintage of trailer. Partial floor replacement is possible. Some of the stuff we've done on our '71 trailer is shown in our blog, in my sig line.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Vintage 1972 25 foot

We went to see it before we knew anything. He doesn't show that in his listing, of course. It looks and feels great. He was running one of those plug-ins and smelled overly perfumed. Will need to go back with a screwdriver and also take a look under. There was a little bit of mice droppings. Is there any Airstream that won't have mice droppings? I've looked at 3 and they've all had it to some degree.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
McKinleyville , California
Is this TW different then the one referenced in the original post? This one looks pretty clean, at least superficially. Lot's of sobering wisdom on this forum, after getting 80% through a total restoration of a 72 Tradewind, I would say everything posted should be weighed and considered carefully.
tesstoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
So this is the one with the caulk job? orig counters?!? okay I have been in a few so use that screw driver and no mice can be an issue but not always. My 2 cents I told you that the 73 overlander in mn was nice and that only meant that the shell was good and it had all of its orig stuff. he had two prices on this one 9000 obo at the bottom and 8500 on the top which is a little high for a 3 to 4K Airstream! Check the value for trade in I (was about to put sexest comment but thought better) I am learning! If it is 41 years old with no renovation and has been used once or twice and has not been kept in a enviormently controlled storage facility that baby has a few issues and judging from the caulk it has softness and mold in the pink stuff (insulation) just my opinion. besides mn would be a nice drive. lol (she would kill me if I bought that overlander)
Cliff
Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

This is a different TW than the original post. Yes, this is the one with the bad caulk job. He said he lowered the price to $8500. Cliff, so you're saying based on the overall original, clean condition of the interior, but considering what the caulk job is hiding, you think this is a 3-4k trailer? If he doesn't sell it by the weekend, we'll possibly take our trusty screwdriver to visit it on Saturday.

Walls were clean...overall clean feeling inside. Exterior has that caulk and also looks sunburned on top (????). Need to check windows but I'm pretty sure they were fine. Most outside lights worked. A/c blew cold, then hot when switched. Vents blew but didn't have propane hooked up so it wasn't hot (how many people take their own propane to check out a trailer?! Can I switch out my BBQ one on an AS??). Carpeting looks vintage but I doubt it's original - felt too clean and didn't match upholstery. How do you check water system? Ask seller to hook up a hose?

Googling the drive to MN...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Good on you by the time that you purchase one everybody will be asking you! Panels are more than likely a poor recaulk job (hiding a leak) you will know more in the light. As for if he still has it he may or someone who does no research or has too much money may buy it, not a good reason to make a bad choice. Depending on your plans you are really in need of a good shell with all of the attachments intact. We removed the Fiberglas insulation and are replacing prodex and foam board for under the floor. It is the same case for the 73 overlander in mn. Do NOT make a counter offer until after the inspection. Did you download and print the inspection checklist? Things you will have to do. Recaulk, window seals, plumbing and possibly floor repair or replace. From the way you are writing you plan to make it your own so take that into consideration. The sunburn is the clear coat peeling. Keep us in the loop please we are enjoying your adventure. Oh and I have been called some names like crook and ripoff for offering a realistic price not a stupid one and those trailers are still sitting there 1.5 years later!
Cliff
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWairstream View Post
What do you guys think about the one in the classifieds from Virginia: 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24’ - Virginia
I'd go along with the "fair" condition. Would need to see more larger photos, but from what I can see, it does have issues. May be worth the money if there isnt much floor damage or equipment that doesnt work.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Airstream Vintage 1972 25 foot

We went to see it before we knew anything. He doesn't show that in his listing, of course. It looks and feels great. He was running one of those plug-ins and smelled overly perfumed. Will need to go back with a screwdriver and also take a look under. There was a little bit of mice droppings. Is there any Airstream that won't have mice droppings? I've looked at 3 and they've all had it to some degree.
This one doesnt look too bad from the photos, am I correct this is the one with the caulking on the back? That may not be a total show stopper, those seams are easy enough to seal up with some acryl or parbond after you scrape the old caulk off. BTW, never use silicone caulk on aluminum. Only use a polyurethane sealant.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
McKinleyville , California
Quote:
This is a different TW than the original post. Yes, this is the one with the bad caulk job. He said he lowered the price to $8500. Cliff, so you're saying based on the overall original, clean condition of the interior, but considering what the caulk job is hiding, you think this is a 3-4k trailer? If he doesn't sell it by the weekend, we'll possibly take our trusty screwdriver to visit it on Saturday.

Walls were clean...overall clean feeling inside. Exterior has that caulk and also looks sunburned on top (????). Need to check windows but I'm pretty sure they were fine. Most outside lights worked. A/c blew cold, then hot when switched. Vents blew but didn't have propane hooked up so it wasn't hot (how many people take their own propane to check out a trailer?! Can I switch out my BBQ one on an AS??). Carpeting looks vintage but I doubt it's original - felt too clean and didn't match upholstery. How do you check water system? Ask seller to hook up a hose?

Googling the drive to MN...
Far and away the biggest job and headache is rebuilding the rear frame and putting in replacement plywood. I think you can almost guarantee that if the plywood is badly decomposed, the frame will need to be rebuilt in the rear. You won't know that until you disassemble. Also if there was a lot of electrolysis, you might see that as the belly pan badly corroded near the rivets.

Also you might take a flashlight and look in the bottom of the bathroom cabinet posterior of the Univolt inverter. You should be able to view that corner anyway.

I will be posting my frame rebuild soon if interested.
tesstoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Forgot that you had also ask about rodents and they will get into a trailer if it is sitting long enough! Probably climbed in on the gas line.
Cliff
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Good on you by the time that you purchase one everybody will be asking you! Panels are more than likely a poor recaulk job (hiding a leak) you will know more in the light. As for if he still has it he may or someone who does no research or has too much money may buy it, not a good reason to make a bad choice. Depending on your plans you are really in need of a good shell with all of the attachments intact. We removed the Fiberglas insulation and are replacing prodex and foam board for under the floor. It is the same case for the 73 overlander in mn. Do NOT make a counter offer until after the inspection. Did you download and print the inspection checklist? Things you will have to do. Recaulk, window seals, plumbing and possibly floor repair or replace. From the way you are writing you plan to make it your own so take that into consideration. The sunburn is the clear coat peeling. Keep us in the loop please we are enjoying your adventure. Oh and I have been called some names like crook and ripoff for offering a realistic price not a stupid one and those trailers are still sitting there 1.5 years later!
Cliff
Might be checking it out tomorrow. Yes, I have the checklist. Thank you. Checklist, flashlight, screwdriver...

When you reattach the aluminum and rivet them, does any kind of sealer or glue go in between them? What keeps the water out otherwise? Just a tight seal?

Yup, hoping to do some modifications like adding a bunk for the baby, putting in a tub in the bathroom if there isn't one... want to keep countertops and oven. Might change to a deeper sink, higher faucet... We are thinking about taking 6 months to a year to travel/go full time.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
This one doesnt look too bad from the photos, am I correct this is the one with the caulking on the back? That may not be a total show stopper, those seams are easy enough to seal up with some acryl or parbond after you scrape the old caulk off. BTW, never use silicone caulk on aluminum. Only use a polyurethane sealant.
Yes, you are correct - this is the one with the caulking on the back. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

Yup, hoping to do some modifications like adding a bunk for the baby
Bunks were an option available for the '72 Tradewind. If you're lucky, the trailer will already have the brackets in place (and maybe even the bunk itself). Mine had the brackets but not the folding cots.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote