Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Widebodies in Europe?

Is there anyone out there crazy enough to drive a wide body in Europe?
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
This begs the question - "WHERE"? Most of Modern Euroipe can handle the wide bodies on their modern roadways but if you decide to go into historic cities like Rome, Naples, parts of Paris, into much of the former Eastern Block than I would say no.

The semi trucks they have have stearable rear wheels and can accomodate the roadways unlike US made vehicles but are sometimes wider and longer than their US counterparts so the highways are capable of the widebody trailers. It's when you get into the town and oneway streets that you will run into trouble.

I lived for 3 years in Italy. Drove various types of vehicles (cars to trucks) while there. Backed down many a narrow roadways.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Craftsman

I wouldn't try it in Ireland. Anything with 2 lanes and a shoulder is a highway and there aren't to many of those.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
yes I am !

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger
yes i am a bit crazy to have this kind of caravan in FRANCE... it's what most french peaple think about me when they see me arriving with all my american toys ( Airstream, Ford f150 and the Harley in the F150's bed;
But we are nearly unique in france and that i love.
i agree with that is not easy to drive on small roads but no problem on motorways and classic roads. All signs are to be well red before taking an unknown road so if trucks take them, we can go too;

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
golddigger,

welcome to the foums... Do you mean Widebody meaning the newer (I guess post somewhere middle of the 1990´s) made Airstreams or do you consider the 1970 also as widebodies, which they are compared to normal european trailers... I think a newer trailer is quite hard to get registered over here, I read somerwhere on these forums that you have a width restriction in the UK. We have one in Germany as well, but here it is 2.55m...

BJoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
amberieu en bugey France , france
Send a message via MSN to frederic.c01
hi old europe
no problems, if the road is small takes all the road.

https://airstream.blog.expedia.fr/
frederic.c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Wide as in 96 and on

Hej Björn --

I am referring to wide as in 1996 and on, which are 8'6 1/2. I seem to recall that most countries in Europe have a 100 inch (254 cm) width limit while the newer Airstreams are ~102. I was wondering if anyone has a post 1995 trailer on the roads in Europe (not counting CCDs, which are narrower).

Regards,
Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Very recent vintage?

Salut Bruno --

Do you mean that you have a 1996 or later trailer on the roads? You can recognize the widebody by looking at the roof. It looks a little bit more flat. With my 1964 trailer, I can see the sides of the trailer in the standard mirrors of my Suburban. When I hook it up to the 1998, I have to put clip on mirrors to see the sides.

Regards,
Old 10-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Salut Bruno --

Do you mean that you have a 1996 or later trailer on the roads? You can recognize the widebody by looking at the roof. It looks a little bit more flat. With my 1964 trailer, I can see the sides of the trailer in the standard mirrors of my Suburban. When I hook it up to the 1998, I have to put clip on mirrors to see the sides.

Regards,
hi ;
Mine is a 27' 1971 overlander and i have to use extended mirrors on my F150 to see rear me and , really , it's a bit just ;
so i suppose there is not a lot differences in dimension to be or not to be quiet to drive on roads in europe... this caravan is not made to go anywhere as you can do it , in USA so you're right to say being crazy to try it in Europe or in France;
So, as I've said above, using it on motorways or classic french roads " les nationales" , there is no problem at all.

bruno.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Hi Bruno,

so what you are saying is that A and RN roads are Ok, but Ds are not? Have you had any difficulties to pass through toll boths, tunnels, etc (on As and Ds)? Have you been to other countries in Europe with your trailer? If so, what sort of mapping software and/or hardcopy maps do you use to help you stay on wider roads? Are there any good guides published in Europe for commercial trucks and buses, such as where you can buy fuel (and fit in the gas station), etc? Anyone else is more than welcome to chime in.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Hi Bruno,

so what you are saying is that A and RN roads are Ok, but Ds are not? Have you had any difficulties to pass through toll boths, tunnels, etc (on As and Ds)? Have you been to other countries in Europe with your trailer? If so, what sort of mapping software and/or hardcopy maps do you use to help you stay on wider roads? Are there any good guides published in Europe for commercial trucks and buses, such as where you can buy fuel (and fit in the gas station), etc? Anyone else is more than welcome to chime in.
Hi Golddigger;
yes i have some difficulties to center when i have to pay at the motorway tolls because there not many place each side of the caravan. always checking the height of tunnels indicated at the beginning of the road because , most of time you can't do U-turn when you are in front of ...
I don't know what means A & RN roads so i suppose that is the categories of roads you can find in USA . Sure, most of roads in Europe are accesible for our rigs because trucks can go everywhere so they know the roads because they are professional and know all the problem they can meet. they can reverse easiest i can do with my Airstream.
so i dont want to take risk of that when roadworks or accident and i take always motorways and great national roads.
When I have to travel and to know all about it, i see the website: " viamichelin" (tape that on Google ) and you can enter all your datas and they give you their road( s) advices. all is indicated : km, time, gas stations, tolls, prices, ...
this site is available on all Europe.

if that can help you, I'll be happy.

Bruno.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
hi again, Golddigger, try this:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

bruno.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Hi Bruno --

A = Autoroute, like A8

RN = Route Nationale, like RN1

D as in D2085

You probably know where they run.. Speaking as someone who still owns a house in Roquefort-les-Pins (06) I am somewhat familiar with tight roads, but I've never driven anything like a big Airstream there. Its been many years since I drove anything but a small rental car in Europe. This is why I am asking someone like yourself, with real experience.

Thanks for the website pointer. What do you use for GPS software, if anything? Over here I use Street Atlas USA and it works pretty good. I use a Garmin GPS with that. SA USA claims support for Canada as well but the maps are very unreliable with that package to the point where you can get yourself into trouble.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
amberieu en bugey France , france
Send a message via MSN to frederic.c01
hi all
With our safari 23 ft we have travel on the small roads of France and Europe without problems (6200 km this year with the trailer).if the bus and the trucks pass then we let us pass .we travel in Auvergne, Ardeche,the old n7, the small roads of Ariège and some countries of Europe.(spain'italy swiss)
fred

https://airstream.blog.expedia.fr/
frederic.c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Hi Bruno --

A = Autoroute, like A8

RN = Route Nationale, like RN1

D as in D2085

You probably know where they run.. Speaking as someone who still owns a house in Roquefort-les-Pins (06) I am somewhat familiar with tight roads, but I've never driven anything like a big Airstream there. Its been many years since I drove anything but a small rental car in Europe. This is why I am asking someone like yourself, with real experience.

Thanks for the website pointer. What do you use for GPS software, if anything? Over here I use Street Atlas USA and it works pretty good. I use a Garmin GPS with that. SA USA claims support for Canada as well but the maps are very unreliable with that package to the point where you can get yourself into trouble.

Hi,
i use the TOMTOM system that is very precise comparated to my Dayton GPS with large screen (older and very more expensive when I bougt it ); Its a 3D GPS and you can add foreign map with small memory card; the TOMTOM is about 350 Euros now and has a great succes in Europe;;

Don't be afraid about tight roads in the south of FRANCE but the problem are when you entry in typical old french villages... But if you take care of the signs and indications, NO problems at all;

Bruno.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

san diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
yes i am a bit crazy to have this kind of caravan in FRANCE... it's what most french peaple think about me when they see me arriving with all my american toys ( Airstream, Ford f150 and the Harley in the F150's bed;
But we are nearly unique in france and that i love.
i agree with that is not easy to drive on small roads but no problem on motorways and classic roads. All signs are to be well red before taking an unknown road so if trucks take them, we can go too;

Bruno.
Would you happen to know a good shipping (inexpensive) company to ship a trailer to England from CA?
Thanks!
jlandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 AM   #17
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Shipping agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Would you happen to know a good shipping (inexpensive) company to ship a trailer to England from CA?
Thanks!
Hi Jlandeau;
My shipping agent for my Travel trailer from Jacksonville, Fl to Zeebrugge, Belgium was:

All Shore Forwarders, Ltd / Jason Chachich
25 Commerce Dr, 3rd lf
Cranford, NJ 07016
tel (908) 497-1970
fax (908) 497-1980

email: jchachich@allshoreforwarders.com
www.allshoreforwarders.com

I supose they can give you a shipping price for what you want.

If that can help you.

Bruno.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Thanks!
For other options/issues, check out:

Amazon.com: Take Your RV To Europe: The Low-Cost Route To Long-Term Touring: Books: Adelle Milavsky,Ron Milavsky
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #19
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Narrower Airstreams for Europe

Quote:

Airstream Europe :: Airstreamer :: FAQ
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
I have now driven about 4,000 miles and spent 11 nights at campgrounds in 4 countries (Germany, Switzerland, France and Denmark), plus talked with campers in a 5th country.

After some exploration I am now convinced that it is possible to bring a wide body to Europe on vacation. There is obviously cost associated with it as well as logistical issues, but it it appears quite possible. It appears viable to drive it, including through road constructions in Germany (although it'll be a bit tight).

So I my working plan is now to spend 4 months there in 2009. While I am looking to spend 3 weeks or so in Morocco, as part of that stay, I might limit that to just taking my truck over there from Spain.