Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Question Requirements when travelling to Canada

Wife and I will be celebrating 20 years together next April. We're planning a trip through Upstate NY and across the border to Toronto. Will have 9-10 days for the round-trip.
What can we expect at the border crossings, both outbound and inbound? (Stirp searches ?, cursory questions about where we're going and how long we'll be there? Bribes to the border guards?)
We have the paperwork (passports and drivers licenses, vehicle registration and proof of insurance).

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
FT
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations on your 20th and happy planning for your celebration trip! You might use the search tool on the menu bar at the top of this page. We had a discussion of this topic during the past summer. Use key words: Canada, border crossing, and so on. You'll find some useful information. As well, I think members will add to the discussion on this thread I know we need to get passports by next year; you already have them! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Congrats!
Try a search on " Northern Camping" , good discussion.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wave at the customs guys going in and tell 'em I'm not coming back!
Don't forget that if you're taking pets they have to have documentation too.
Just like on the airlines.... no jokes as you board or cross the border. Be nice and answer the questions as asked....don't volunteer extra info... it just slows down the process for those behind you.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
FT:

It's as easy, or easier, than us getting into your country --- but don't try to bring any firearms in.

Enjoy your time here.

Smokeless Joe

( Drop by my Oyster Bar - same name- at 125 John Street in Toronto.)
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is detailed list of what you can and what you can't.....
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...onal_1170.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hey Ford,

My congrats to you as well. We celebrate our 25th next week! In this day and age, this is getting to be something truly fantastic. Keep camping! Keep the fire burning - figuratively and literally!

I travel internationally often and you will find that over the northern border is very easy. There is a lot of talk about requiring passports in the future, though at the present time there is no such issue. I agree with other posts... treat it like a plane trip and you'll be fine. The Border guards that get these asignments are usually tenured guys with a lot of experience. They are generally good guys and more anxious to wish you a good trip than to slow you down. If you're traveling for pleasure you'll be welcomed accordingly. They love to have us go north and spend our money there...

I typically fly across the border in private aircraft. When we cross we do so with a simple preplanning effort with customs. These guys are all normal guys. You should expect no issue at all. Might want to check before you leave in case the rules change between now and then...

Have fun!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
FT -
I just returned from a 3 week fishing trip to northern British Columbia. I crossed the border at a small town (Sumas, WA) and avoided the lines at the major crossing on I-5. Two cars were in line as I left US, one on my return. Approx 5 questions were asked at each crossing. No search of any kind was done, and I was through the border in 2 minutes or less each way. The only Airstream related question was whether there were any passengers or firearms in the trailer. No documents were requested. I used my passport as my ID at each crossing.
It was a pleasant and surprisingly stress-free crossing each way. I hope you have a similar experience.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Be prepared to leave your apples,cheese and sausages behind in the states. Check the list of "unapproved" foods. On the west coast they take crop pests seriously - in both directions.

I have had difficulty at border crossings into Canada and back again - but I am a musician. The Canadian gov is extremely concerned about US citizens crossing into the country to work - most especially artists. If you look like you are going to work - they care.

I happen to play Canadian made guitars. Stuff made sold in Canada is subject to duty (tax) if purchased in Canada and then hauled into the US. If you are concerned about this, you can register your stuff at the border on the way into Canada. Sometimes just having proof of purchase upon return to the us is not enough - you need to register it as you leave the US.

And a word of gentle caution.... do not make lighthearted jokes abuot anything with the border guards - in either direction. Be polite and brief!

It's generally harder to get back into the states than into Canada!

Other stuff to be concerned about:
  • If you take ferries In Canada, your propane bottles may be an issue. Find out what you need to do prior to showing up to the ferry terminal.
  • Prescriptions - Keep your pills in their original bottles. have copies of the scrips and maybe even receipts available for border crossing back into the US. Seniors crossing for cheaper drugs is a hot button.
  • Pets - already mentioned. Rabies certs are required and the vaccination frequency requirements are different in Canada. Check in advance.
Canada welcomes tourism dollars and tourists - that is reflected at the border crossings, The US return crossing is not always so warm and fuzzy.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pets to Canada

Hi, as Janet mentioned dogs are required to have rabies shots more often. From my previous experience, Canada requires Rabie shots every six months. So we got all of our dogs shots done about a week before going.
From the experience of a friend of a friend, He did not get the Rabie shots and records for his dogs. His dogs were taken from him by animal control, quaranteened, boarded, and given shots. He was told to come back in two weeks, pay your pet's bill, and you can take them home now.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Wrong, wrong wrong

Bob .. someone is pulling your leg.. We live in Canada and cross the border regularly.. Our Rabies vaccine is good for 3 years and is NOT every 6 months..You MUST have the vaccination record with you when crossing into Canada and into the US.. We keep ours for our dogs with our passports..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
If you do not have it already, consider getting your insurance company to provide your with Canadian insurance papers. Don't forget to top off your gas tank before going into Candada. Taking a bird back and forth over the border is a pita, unless you can train it to fly over the border station and land on your truck on the other side. Don't bring fire works. Fruit and fresh meat can be an issue. I've been searched a small percentage of the times I have crossed. They are polite and efficient on both sides. Remember that your cell phone can be a bit expensive to use in Canada since you'll probably pay roaming charges. The other replies have pretty much covered it.

Have a nice trip!
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
FT - Yeah, there's some things you have to make sure you take care of when crossing the border but none of it is difficult - it's just due diligence. I cross often into the US and find they like it when you take sunglasses off, answer their questions and as noted by others don't volunteer anything more. It's the people who are very nervous, don't answer the questions so appear evasive, and who volunteer unnecessary information that seem to get the most attention. But now and then you can get a "difficult" customs person in either direction and you just have to grin and bear it.
Have a great vacation and congrats on the anniversary. Life is great when you get to share it with someone special.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Bob .. someone is pulling your leg.. We live in Canada and cross the border regularly.. Our Rabies vaccine is good for 3 years and is NOT every 6 months..You MUST have the vaccination record with you when crossing into Canada and into the US.. We keep ours for our dogs with our passports..
Hi, I read that in a travel magazine before our first trip to Canada. I believe it was about 1985 then. Was I wrongfully informed or was that the law back then? Anyway, better safe than sorry!

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Leave your hand guns behind. You will have them confiscated and you may be arrested. otherwise they are fairly friendly. Rifles are ok.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Maybe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Leave your hand guns behind. You will have them confiscated and you may be arrested. otherwise they are fairly friendly. Rifles are ok.
Sorry (INCONSISTANCY IS WHAT MAKES THIS DIFFICULT), I had a different experience. The Canadian side took my handgun and held it at the crossing because I was to return in less than 48 hours. If I had stayed longer and used a different crossing to return then they would have forwarded it to that crossing. No paperwork, I just had to UNLOAD it and put it in a plastic bag that they supplied. They ran a check on the serial number - that's it. This may have changed in the high terrorist threat era we are in but that's what happened to me 3 years ago post 9/11. The crossing I used was Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. NOW, I admitted it upfront and they cautioned me that the NY side may not be as NICE - and they WERE NOT, BUT they did not ask me about firearms on the NY side so I did not tell them. The NY side gave me a @ss chewing about my dog - I had papers but they were a printout from a regular printer with a signature and a business card from the vet stapled to it. NOT GOOD ENOUGH for this guy, he went nuts telling me how backwards Mississippi was and how "dumb did I think he was to believe this paperwork was real?". ANSWER ONLY THE QUESTIONS ASKED is good advice - but firearms are something you should not try to pass over the border with. He just never got around to asking me about guns.

JUST DON'T DO IT, but I never leave my drive without one, sorry it goes way back.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Bob...Re Rabies vaccination.. Dogs have never been every 6 months.... but were yearly until a few years back.. I have never heard of any dogs being taken from anyone BUT there had to have been a reason .. maybe the dogs had bite someone.. if anyone wanted to take our dogs.. we would be turning around and heading back ... don't let our dogs in .. we don't go.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
This works for me

Here's what I found to work best. When you pull up to the booth turn you motor off. Remove sunglasses. Be polite , don't joke with the officer as it strictly business with them. Have all your paperwork , passports , pet shot records and firearms declaration (if you have a long gun with you) in hand to present to them when they ask for it. Don't offer any "unasked for information" answer questions with a simple yes or no.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
yeah, don't you now about those Canadians

Just joking

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I'll just say ask a lot of questions long before you plan to cross into Canada. Find out ALL the rules in advance!!
$7,000 worth of pre-paid, no refund fishing trip went down the drain for my daughter and son-in-law. The stated reason??? He had a DUI 9 years ago. They don't check everyone, but when they do there is no other option but to turn around. I'm still pissed and my kids vow to never leave another dollar in Canada or even have a kind word for the place.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote