Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yucca Valley , CA
Mexican Riviera driving guide

Just updated our blog Gingergoesglamping.com on our route to the Mexican Riviera in Quintana Roo. Enjoy and keep Glamping!
Rbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Thanks for that trip report! I drove the Emerald Coast in 2004 in a small convoy of Land Rovers, crossing Brownsville and detouring into Xilitla and then back to the coast toward the Yucatan, Quintano Roo, down into Punta Gorda, BZ and finally, Guatemala.

It looks like San Miguel is much like Xilitla (San Luis Potosi). In many of these towns and small cities, there are open-air collective mills for making tortillas and other staple foods. These places are bustling with life and energy. We met the friendliest people during our trek ten years ago!

I wish Mexico weren't so upside-down right now. I absolutely do not endorse travel there right now, but am thankful that you were able to explore this incredible country without trouble.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yucca Valley , CA
Mexico camping

Over the last 3 years we have spent over 12 months in Mexico with nary an issue. I would be more concerned about camping in more rural parts of the US than in Mexico. Be smart and check the facts .
" Among the safest places to travel to in Mexico is the State of Yucatan that had a murder rate of 2.2 per 100,000 that is equivalent to Finland (2.0). When comparing Yucatan to other equivalent U.S. states, it is interesting to learn that this Mexican State is not as safe as Maine (2.0) but slightly safer than Idaho (2.3), Wisconsin (2.4) or Washington State (2.4). Click HERE to see the FBI's 'Crime in the United States 2011' statistics by region, geographic division, and state.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yucca Valley , CA
Mexico safety stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto View Post
Over the last 3 years we have spent over 12 months in Mexico with nary an issue. I would be more concerned about camping in more rural parts of the US than in Mexico. Be smart and check the facts .
" Among the safest places to travel to in Mexico is the State of Yucatan that had a murder rate of 2.2 per 100,000 that is equivalent to Finland (2.0). When comparing Yucatan to other equivalent U.S. states, it is interesting to learn that this Mexican State is not as safe as Maine (2.0) but slightly safer than Idaho (2.3), Wisconsin (2.4) or Washington State (2.4). Click HERE to see the FBI's 'Crime in the United States 2011' statistics by region, geographic division, and state.
Heres the link Mexico vs US Cities - How Safe Is Mexico
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Thank you Rbphoto, we have been going down south for forty years or so and never had a problem. I can only feel sorry for those who can't bring themselves to enjoy what Mexico has to offer.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Just returned from a month long trip in Baja and never felt insecure - always felt safe, even in the middle of nowhere, as well as in cities. Went through several military check points where they did superficial searches of the truck and trailer. The young soldiers were extremely polite.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
As I said, it a gorgeous country with unlimited places that beg to be explored. Between growing up in Southern California, where Baja California and border towns were our teen and college-age playgrounds, and my trek into Central America in 2004, I've got some real experience on the ground in Mexico. I'm not an alarmist.

The truth is that the cartel violence is very real and there are bands of militia fighting to take the country back in each and every state. Violent crime was up in the 30th percentile in 2013. The federal and state governments are at such a loss that they've allowed these groups unprecedented unilateral policing powers. Are you numerically safer in Campeche than Oakland, CA?

Perhaps. The web page linked above is a marketing piece with questionable provenance and many convenient omissions. I'm not trying to launch a debate about the merits of traveling to a beautiful, deserving country like Mexico. But the threats faced [predominantly, to this point] by Mexico's citizens are far different than the somewhat randomized or relationship-dependent (about 43% of US victims know their aggressors) violence we have in the states. Kidnapping for ransom or plain blood-letting is everyday news in states like Guerrero and Tamaulipas.

So, I'll leave it at this: do your homework (you'll have to anyway, because a serious overland incursion into Mexico isn't a casual affair that you can mount in a matter of days) and really read the current US Department of State reports prior to traveling anywhere that requires a passport (sorry, Canada... I don't mean you!).

Alerts and Warnings

I'll reiterate that my personal experience in 2004 (only ten days driving throughout Mexico's eastern states) is exactly as everyone else describes theirs - friendly young soldiers at infrequent checkpoints, lovely, warm and generous citizens and a nearly flawless adventure through some of the most breathtaking places you can imagine.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Yucatan and Quitana Roo is a rv paradise. It is off the smuggling and drug growing path. The issue is getting there.
In 2004 we went through Tamalipas and down the gulf coast on hwy 160. The roads were bad but the scenery is beautiful with lots of very interesting towns. Now Tamulipas and central Mexico are iffy, particularly in the border towns. Best bet is to go down Hiway 15 (Nogales Az) through Mazatlan, Guadalajara Mexico City, ect. The distance from the border is about the same, allow at least a week to get there. It is a two month trip.
The roads are good. Sonora is very safe. Sinaloa is safe enough on the main roads during the day. There is lots of rv traffic and a good network of campgrounds.
Michiocan is like Sinaloa--main roads during the day but fewer campgrounds.
There are lots of relatively safe places to camp other than campgrounds. I always camp where there is some kind of security, at a motel, at a water park or in a factory compound. There is always a place, if you speak enough very basic Spanish to ask.
We have a house in Mexico and travel extensively. There is violence but it is very rare directed against tourists as law enforcement mobilizes to catch the perpetrators. Most of the few incidents involving tourists have been people caught in the cross fire being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Road rage, school shootings and other senseless violence is almost unheard of. All and all we have never been victimized and feel quite safe.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote