Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 01:44 PM   #1
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
Mexican Insurance

Hello fellow Airstreamers. We're heading to Mexico and need some help with finding insurance for our rig. '75 Overlander that we've upgraded/refurbished. I wanted to get a "declared value" of about $15,000 but it seems the underwriters require photos AND an appraisal. Currently they are only willing to provide liability coverage. I'm not that excited about an appraisal or the expense for a few weeks stay. Anyone have any tips on where to insure a classic like this without the inspection? We're currently in Canada and headed south shortly.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03enduro View Post
Hello fellow Airstreamers. We're heading to Mexico and need some help with finding insurance for our rig. '75 Overlander that we've upgraded/refurbished. I wanted to get a "declared value" of about $15,000 but it seems the underwriters require photos AND an appraisal. Currently they are only willing to provide liability coverage. I'm not that excited about an appraisal or the expense for a few weeks stay. Anyone have any tips on where to insure a classic like this without the inspection? We're currently in Canada and headed south shortly.
Due to it's age you may have trouble. They used to cover my Superduty till it got too old then they said "liability only" however I was able to locate a carrier that would still cover it so I went with them, it is now 18 years old and they are still covering in for my declared value every year. I went to Sanborn's online and found coverage. But 1975, and being a trailer, will be hard. On our old boat & trailer we could not find coverage at all, just the liability that the tow vehicle insurance offers on towed trailers. Are you using an agent who can check around for you? https://www.sanborns.com/rv/

$15K is not really a whole lot in the grand scheme, myself I would probably go with the liability only rather than not go on the trip at all, which is what I plan to do if/when they stop covering my old truck. Is it theft you are worried about?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Sorry but Sanborn's is not going to work for anything over 20 years old, I suggest trying a few online quotes if your agent is no help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanborn.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	410194  
Old 01-07-2022, 04:51 AM   #4
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
Theft is a concern, but it doesn’t take much to damage one of these in a collision and run into multiple thousands of dollars in damage.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:56 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Good luck with that idea!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Mexico is risky in my opinion. With so much to see in the US and Canada it isn’t on my list but that’s just me. Sorry to be negative but far too many tourist horror stories (and deaths) for me. All the big resorts in the coast that are so popular have armed guards! Just my humble opinion.

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 01-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Check with your MPI agent. We have used SGI insurance as well.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Mexico is risky in my opinion. With so much to see in the US and Canada it isn’t on my list but that’s just me. Sorry to be negative but far too many tourist horror stories (and deaths) for me. All the big resorts in the coast that are so popular have armed guards! Just my humble opinion.

Have fun and be SAFE!
Have to agree. We live in a border state a see and hear a lot of bad stories about driving over the border. When and if something occurs there's not much you can do about it. The system is very different than the U.S and Canada.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote