Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Base Camp Bonn (Germany) - Where the fun people stay

"Base Camp Bonn - Where the fun people stay"

New youth hostel in Bonn, Germany, features vintage caravans for frugal travelers, including an older Airstream travel trailer:

Das Camping Hostel im Zentrum von Bonn - Deutsch

Note: Airstream appears in photo gallery, bottom row, third photo from left.

Additional info on two Airstreams that are currently being refurbished:

http://web62.server11.viamedia.at/de/airstreams.html

==========

Text below is an approximate translation of the original German-language description from the Website referenced above.

A New Awareness

Why not transform a warehouse into a hostel experience? For the hotelier Michael Bonner, castles are more than just an idea. Located next to the Hotel & Boardinghouse "Bonnox", he has now implemented an unusual concept into reality. The previously empty, 1600 square-meter hall (formerly Lancôme), not far from the Post Tower and Museum Mile, will soon offer a variety of accommodation options and special events, with lots of charm and character.

Lose the idea of a hotel room, disdainful facilities and unimaginative design, as we won’t be blamed for that — Expect something different. That’s the inherent charm of the Base Camp of Bonn. Your stay won’t be soon forgotten, because where else can you find a comparable setting right in the center of Bonn.

All our caravans are dedicated to a specific theme. For example, the Belle Époque, the Roaring Sixties, car racing, Jaeger Meister or the Plush Tiger offer a range of themes from which you can choose, for a good night’s sleep.

All of the caravans can be booked individually.

Also, requests submitted to stay@basecamp-bonn.de are gladly accepted, at any time.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I wonder how much it cost to stay there

It looks great though. Great novelty idea. Looks like a fun place.
Some friends and I were thinking about buying a rural warehouse near us, to store our campers, and to use as a winter get together spot. Expense, insurance, and not being able to use propane, made us change our minds.

A few weeks ago I was followed, and flagged down but a guy who is buying vintage trailers to make a campground. He picked my brain for hours. I don't think he had realistic idea about the cost of restoring campers, setting up the infrastructure, and then having to non stop run the place. Running a conventional campground is a couple of full time jobs, but then add housekeeping.
He had already purchased 21 trailers, averaging $1300 each. He is planning on building bathrooms and have the campers set up for dry camping. It might work in the right location. I estimated that he would gross between 40 to 90 K a year based on being open 6 months a year and charging $50 a night, on a 300K investment. I told him to have a backup plan to just sell the trailers for $1325 each. I didn't want to burst his bubble, but he asked. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him how much $ I had into my trailer. He was thinking soap, paint, and curtains.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In one of the European caravans, 54 to 76 euros per night. The Airstreams are 74-128 euros, up to 160 euros for 3.

There are a couple of odds and ends that are cheaper (a camper thing on top of a Trabant, shared accomodations in the train car, etc.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote