RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
Staying Cloud Connected from Canada to USA

Looking for advice from Canadian travellers about their phones and Internet communication when travelling south. We have unlocked iPhones but the Canadian options for roaming are not good. I read the Forum posts about new USA offerings and they look good (unlimited data, etc) but we would have to change our phone numbers and maybe have a USA address. Any comments would be most appreciated.
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I got an AT&T sim card and pop it into my phone. With the pay as you go plan you can get 100MB for $1. Setup your plan as the daily plan if you are there less than a month. Or you can get 500 MB for $50. And unlimited calling and texting for US numbers. For $60 you can also get unlimited calling to Canada. I like the daily plan. As long as I don't receive or make calls it is a buck a day for 100MB. But as soon as you use the phone portion they ding you for $2. If you load $25 on the card it lasts for 3 months $10 only lasts 1 month.

Our company also has a data only connection that gives us 40 gig for $110 per month that we plug into a data stick and plug that into a router. We usually have 10 guys connected to it. But that plan is monthly and can't be shut down when we're not in the US.

For personal use I find the ATT works best. But I have also had to T mobile but find it works great in some parts of the country but not others.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have been with Verizon since 1988. I have had coverage over the entire USA where the others concentrated only on the major cities and perhaps the interstates.

Shut cellar data off and just use the free wifi found at most fast food locations and many businesses. Then the "gouging" for data use does not happen.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Verizon seems to have the best coverage in rural areas, with new unlimited and data carryover plans. Also work in US, CN, & MX.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
These folks are the hands down experts when it comes to RV/mobile internet in North America:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/
Old 03-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
US coverage with the 4 major vendors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cell data coverage in the USA.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	847.7 KB
ID:	280798  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I have a Wind Mobile (now Freedom Mobile) pay-as-you-go plan which works seamlessly in the when I cross into the USA, and actually costs less (per minute, per text, per MB) to use there on roaming than in Canada. I don't think the plan I have is still available for new customers, but perhaps one of their other plans would work for you.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
We use a monthly pay as you go with ATT. It is called Go Phone. Cost $50 US a month for 8 gigs if you set it up auto renew each month. ( we are here for 6 months). You will switch sim cards at the border and have a US number. Before you return to Canada tell ATT that you are switching to a pay per use and remove the sim card and use your Canadian card. You can pay them $100US and you keep your US number. The $100 is then applied to your monthly charges when you return to the US and activate your phone.
If you bought your I phone in Canada the ATT system is the only one compatible. We learned this lesson the hard way after signing up with Verizon in Anacortes only to find out the Canadian I phone does nor work with Verizon. Took us months to get our money back.
Another cheap alternative is Trac Phone. You can pick up a phone for $20 at Walmart and fill it up with a card. I use this for voice only and it costs $100 US for six months. I have accumulated so many minutes I will never run out. They also have data options but I have never used it for that.
So we use the I Phone for data and the Trac phone just for voice. You can also set up the Trac Phone for speed dials to ten numbers in Canada and it is really cheap to use
hope this helps
Norrie PS you don't need a US address
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The rates keep changing with AT&T so currently it is $60 for 8Gig and $45 for 4gig. If you set it up as auto renew you can save $5, but you would have change that when you leave the US. That's why I use the daily plan.

I also use Google Hangouts to call back to Canada using the data rather than the phone portion, but I usually can connect to WiFi so I don't need to use my data.

I have never had the number expire even when the account has been dormant for 6 months. Even if it did, you still have the sim and you can easily create a new account so I don't think paying $100 is worth while, but to each there own.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
You can get a business unlimited data, unthrottled on eBay (sim card) for your phone or MiFi for about $150 per month no contract. We have been doing this for the last two years and use it to the tune of 200 - 400 megabits per month - working, movies, etc.
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I'm with Bell.They offered $40 add-on package for unlimited data and Phone roaming in US for a month last year. Worked just fine. I was previously with prepaid Bell Solo. All I had to do was register my Visa Card and they would top up my account if and when necessary, but roaming was more expensive on that plan.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We also use the $40 Bell plan. Works great!! We call forward our home phone to our cell.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by curioscat View Post
Looking for advice from Canadian travellers about their phones and Internet communication when travelling south. We have unlocked iPhones but the Canadian options for roaming are not good. I read the Forum posts about new USA offerings and they look good (unlimited data, etc) but we would have to change our phone numbers and maybe have a USA address. Any comments would be most appreciated.
Depending on how long - or often - you plan to be traveling out of Canada you might look at moving your phone number to an online service like Google voice. Years ago I ported my main phone number too google voice, and I have been able to keep it regardless of changing carriers, phones, etc. It forwards calls and texts to any number (or series of numbers) I want it to, and it will also transcribe voicemails for you. The app is very easy to use, and you can make outgoing calls that show the proper caller ID using either the app or an access number.

This would allow you to use cheaper prepaid phones if you wanted to, or even change phones a few times. You could keep your unlocked iPhones, and just swap out sims as needed.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote