RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Like others, if I donít recognize the number, it doesnít get answered. Most of the time I donít even bother to look, I just turn off
the ringer and let it go to VM, if there is a message to be left.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Snopes hadnít confirmed it at the time they wrote this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-you-hear-me-scam/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Unhappy

My phone # is private unlisted and do not call list, still get many scams and solicitations both cell & house phone. # not known on off button. Prob. we have is Penny works in legal field special ed. & calls come from all over US and State & fed Gov.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Let's hope it gets better in 2020 as the new Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act [TRACED] increases fines on robocallers from $1,500 to as much as $10,000 per illegal call and requires the phone companies to enhance their network-to-network call tracking abilities (call authentication).

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/law-...ry?id=68008423

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

The problem with an affirmative answer is that it can lead to changes directly to your phone bill. They already have an account they can drag money out of when you answer the call. Phone company is complicit in this scan.

Hi

Most phone companies are no longer willing to play games with these guys (and have not been for quite a long time).

If it somehow turns out that yours *is* then contest the charge, talk to your State Attorney General's office (not the local authorities) and find a new phone company.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I'm puzzled by how all these callers get around the do-not-call list law that was passed many years ago.
It didn't take long for the scammers to realize the "Do Not Call List" had no teeth. They just threatened, but never prosecuted, as far as I know. Many scammer are offshore with no way to prosecute.
Don't waste your time with Do Not Call.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry

Probably same w/new robo call law did nothing to stop under old law.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Probably same w/new robo call law did nothing to stop under old law.
About the only way to stop them for a while is find out their location, travel there, and plant a stick of dynamite inside their computer. And that'll only slow them down.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Just "yes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
fully doccumented example of someone successfully ripping a person off by using *only* the word "yes"
Bob

Great question, UncleBob. Here's what happens. Start with this ridiculous but inarguable proposition: all of our information--telephone numbers, social security numbers, credit card numbers, d/o/b, driver's license numbers--everything's on the internet. The way laws like the Telemarketing Sales Rule has dealt with it is by requiring a recording of the consumer's (let's be honest and call it the "mark's") express consent to have their account charged.

The intent of the legal requirement for a recording is that the entire call will be recorded. But that isn't what the law says. So telemarketers who "misunderstand" the requirement (or who scam from a former Soviet Republic) only get the "express consent" recorded--i.e., "Yes." They add that to the preexisting information, and bingo, you have a charge on your credit card. If you contest it, they'll tell the credit card company that they have express written consent. One key marker of fraud: ambiguity that can be "spinned."

Documented instances? Pull up any FTC case with the keywords "express consent." Hundreds and hundreds. If you have questions about how I know this, send me a PM.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Mollysdad, Featherbedder, Overlander, and other: Sorry to disagree, but it was prosecuted, and it is prosecuted, and it was legislated and continues to be legislated. The federal and state governments spent (and are spending) hundreds of millions of dollars, with a half dozen federal agencies going after the scammers. There were hundreds of criminals paying fines, put out of business, some put in jail, some money returned to consumers. But the problem is that the the problem is unimaginably huge; even a million cases would be an insignificantly small dent. That doesn't mean that the efforts are a failure: it's hard to know what crimes weren't committed, how many of us were not victimized, etc.

And there's another problem which law enforcement never wants to talk about because it makes them look bad. That's that the criminals are on the ragged leading edge of new technology. They're constantly creating new technology ... and of course, new scams. They can innovate faster than prosecutors can investigate. That was true before our entire governmental process was clotted with partisan bickering. It's more true now. Some of the criminals are some of the most creative people in the world, and they have the best motivation ($$$). Meanwhile, we citizens are busy starving our government or resources.

But no matter what the case, the best law enforcement can ever do is fight the last war. (Just like the Marines, actually.) We have to fight the criminals, but society is always going to be trying to get even. Given that it's Superbowl Sunday, let's put it this way: We're always 17 points down to the Saints* with two minutes left in the 4th quarter and they have the ball. Always. It's possible to score ... but odds are always that we're going to lose and keep losing.

---

*I went out of my way to choose someone who's not in the SB.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Phone Scam alert - can you hear me?

Yup. Exactly how they do it. Then the credit card and phone companies look the other way. Like I said, if itís an unknown caller, let it go to voicemail. No voicemail left, itís best to consider the call as suspicious. From their you can block the number, or just ignore the call. Donít bother calling the number back, that just either irritates the innocent party whose number they spoofed, or gets you done other charge to your phone bill by a scammer.

The pending new law may alleviate some of this crap, but Iím not optimistic. The FTCís ďdo not call listĒ was touted to do a similar thing, but so far itís a total failure. The criminal scammers just ignore the law.

And yeah, you may ignore a few of those ďweíre not trying to sell you anythingĒ type opinion surveys, but thatís how it goes. YMMV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #32

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Pueblo , Colorado
Talking How to set your Cell Phone to stop Scam/ROBO Calls

Dial this number: 000-000-0000- then dial. You will get instructions to check your number . Next you check the Numbers Dialed. Now Tap in the middle of the Number and choose Block.

This Blocks Unknown or Anonymous Callers.

Next let all callers you don't know to to Voice Mail.

The callers that just instruct you to call them back - erase/delete their number from your phone.
If you leave it they will have a way of getting into your phone and leaving more Voice Mails.

Record in Favorites your friends or services you use.
Camp Grounds etc. I encourage you to take photos so they pop up when the phone rings.
These R O B O Calls are generated on a computer in "Boiler Rooms" Go on YouTube Type in Scam Calls.
Handpolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
New scam to have you authorize any thing by saying do you hear me you say yes when answering phone, they tape you then it can be very costly. Now a new one, they ask how are you feeling as soon as you answer phone, if you say all right same means same thing. So be aware many crooks. One of calling #s is 331 234 3216. Bill
That is an old scam I heard about quite a few years ago. But always be careful with unknown callers!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'd be *very* interested if anybody actually has a fully doccumented example of someone successfully ripping a person off by using *only* the word "yes" from a typical phone call. The only time I can see it being used would be as part of a court case ....

My point being that without credit card / banking / account information, there isn't much they can do with a single word. If they already *have* that sort of information, the lack of a single word is not what's stopping them from ripping you off ....

Bob

Why would they need your particular voice? It isn't as though a company asking a question that could be answered by a single word would have any clue what the respondents voice would sound like. I agree with Bob and I'm calling urban legend on this one.
Canyon
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I knew all along that guy was a crook..."can you hear me now" 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Auburn , Maine
If you have an iPhone, there is a setting in preferences that will send any unrecognized call directly to voicemail without ringing. It's great. If they leave a message, I call back. If not, I assume they don't really want to talk to me. It saves a ton of time.

On a lighter note, here's a guy who's made a career out of answering spam emails. If you've not seen it, it's hilarious stuff:
especially our 19' Bambi
blog: https://airstreampictures.typepad.com
FilmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
I'm up to 59 blocked callers, wondering if I will hit a software limit before I get a new phone. LOL

I use default deny. I don't answer unknown numbers. If no VM gets left, I block the caller.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
At least with respect to the calls we constantly receive the numbers are spoofed to appear as if they are coming from our local area code and prefixes. On occasion a non-local number will repeat and I will add it to the blocked calls list but for the most part blocking a number is futile because they are being generated randomly and I'd have to block literally thousands of numbers. As others have mentioned the best solution is simply not to answer the phone if the number isn't recognized. Legitimate callers will leave a message.

ďThe thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #39

Ada , Michigan
Have used three options with these calls. When caller ID (usually comes up on our television) doesn't indicate a person or number we are familiar with, we do the following:

1. Don't answer and let the call go to our answering machine - most never leave a message.
2. Answer, but don't say anything. The call usually doesn't go through until they hear something on your line. They don't say anything, we hang up.
3. Have stated: "Please hold, this call is being transferred to the Federal Bureau of Investigation." Results in a quick hangup, and that number never calls again.
patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #40
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
If I don't recognize the number/not on contacts...

Hello...you have reached the number that you dialed, if you would like to speak to Sandra or Bob please leave your number after the beep...if not hang up NOW.

I never get any unwanted calls.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote