Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Sovereign Ron

1986 25' Sovereign
Annapolis , MD
DIY Storage Club

Hello everyone. First post, so forgive me if there's a better group to drop this in.
I'm trying to find out if there are any trailer storage facilities that are also DIY clubs. I know there are motorcycle shops/clubs that allow owners to work on their bikes. I'm considering starting a business in Maryland that will allow folks to store their RVs or trailers and also give them access to some community tools. Consider it part social club and part storage facility.
I would love to hear any thoughts on the concept, similar businesses, or how much I should charge people.
RonRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I have not heard of anything like that for RV's. The issue with any "community" workshop is "supervision". Folks have a tendency to not clean up after themselves / put the tools back in the proper location.

Since RV work is a bit like an airplane, you can take up a lot of space for quite a while doing this or that. Having my baby out on the shop floor for others to poke at ... hmmm.... Most airplane "clubs" have a pretty limited membership as a result. More or less, everybody knows everybody else on a first name basis.

How much to charge? If you get 60' by 40' of space, indoors, heated, with A/C and good lighting, well over a hundred a month. Once you get to five hundred a month, you are into folks with pretty deep pockets.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I would think that with the massive increase in people buying trailers and RVs, the next logical investment opportunity would be to build campgrounds and storage facilities. Repair facilities a close second, but the real money is probably to be made in storage.

I suppose you could build a storage facility with a couple of bays for the DIYers that would include the mechanisms to hoist stuff onto the roof, scaffolding, gantries and the like, but as I write this, I immediately think of LIABILITY, and it sounds like a worse and worse idea. Any serious DIYers are going to have their own hand tools.

At the end of the day, most of the people I know who own trailers/RVs (not referring to AS owners or Forums participants, by the way) buy them, take a few trips in them, pay storage for a few years, hire a tech from time to time to fix what needs fixed, or just neglect it altogether, and then sell. The hard-core DIYers find a way, and would likely not be your customer anyway.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
I agree with the liability part, although the idea is pretty neat. I had a customer here who tried a similar plan for car collectors. He was a mechanic that just retired and he set up an indoor storage facility with two lifts however he was planning to be there every day and nobody but him would be allowed to use the lifts. He had planned to offer his services as a mechanic as well. Anyway he got it all set up and opened right when Covid was raging and last I heard it didn't work out and he is already closed.

One thing to consider is you can already do a lot of maintenance and minor repairs at most storage facilities and for the people who like to do major stuff, most just take it to their residence to work on.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
1) I think storage is going to be huge. Very hard to find RV storage.
2) I think there will be some people that will want to fix things themselves. Not sure people will pay extra though. I would build a storage unit that allows people to come in an fix things. Good lights, etc. Not sure extra bays would be needed.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do go the storage route, look carefully into power:

Not all places out in the "cheap land" part of town have the ability to get significant power fed to the location. The place I store at has this issue. If you have 400 spaces and each gets a 15A plug, that can be a lot of power when everybody is running a heater in their RV. Go up to 30A or 50A plugs and it just gets worse and worse.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote