Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Smart Airstream?

The emerging "Smart Home" industry continues to evolve, allowing you to turn on lights, adjust temperature, monitor security cams, etc. remotely when away from home.

I think it would be nice to essentially have the classic "Airstream Command Center" as an app on your smart phone, so you can monitor tank and batt levels and so on.

There is something on the after-market right now called "RV Command" that purports to do much of this, but you have to pay a monthly subscription to cover the cellular network connection which is how it transmits data.

Eventually it would be nice to remotely monitor your airstream, get alerts if there is a leak, or break-in, and also maybe open or close some vents.

Surprised that Airstream hasn't offered this feature yet, but maybe the tech just isn't ready yet. Anyone have any experience with this type of technology on an Airstream? How handy is it? How well does it work? What about hackers?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Keep it simple.
More stuff to go wrong and have things to carp about.
Example-power awnings
-firefly monitor
-power stabilizers
-power curtains
-power screens
-pop up tv
Just a bunch of headache!
Simple,elegant camping.
That’s just me.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you can remotely monitor all of your of inoperative unnecessay tech features with another item that will evdntually not work! Sorrry But I Get Tired Of all the new tech things that do not work and Seem To Take away From the enjoyment of camping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Maybe you could retro-fit a "Nest" system into your existing camper to control heating/cooling. But my question is why? Most people camp for the outdoor experience. Like others have said, it would just be another headache at some point...
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
I'm a big believer in KISS. Still, here I am, "camping" in an Airstream!

My old scoutmaster seemed to believe that even the luxury of sleeping in a tent, rather than say, building a lean-to wasn't "real camping". And our tents back then were leaky, heavy canvas with ropes and wooden stakes. Can't imagine what he'd think about the space-age nylon fabric/carbon-fibre poles, or, what? an Air mattress!!!

So yeah, an Airstream has all this heavy crap like a microwave oven, a fridge, a shower...why even leave home? Why shake all this stuff down the road that's just gonna break and cause headaches, e.g. AC and DC Electrical system shorts, dollar, er, um ammonia evaporated issues, and plumbing nightmares we love to fix?

So I figure if I'm gonna go "camping" in a space ship, might as well see if I can use my wee smarts to engineer it to be a more robust, reliable and welcome respite when mother nature wants to be mean. And I don't even earn a merit badge for that.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
True story with names and locations deleted to protect the guilty.

People put in a Nest thermostat in their house. Next year sold house and bought another. Put in a Nest thermostat. New owners of old house wondered why the Nest wouldn't stay set as they had set it. Yep, previous owners were still controlling it trying to set the NEW thermostat.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I'm a proponent of automation and smarts. But I apply it only in key areas where they make sense. It's a balancing act as often, it's more trouble/cost then it's worth. But if it's a hobby, I totally get it.

The only smarts I have in the AS is the addition of Alexa in the form of an Echo Dot.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Hmmm, only a year later and AS evidently was already working on their Smart trailer:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ol-technology/