RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Power Station As Battery Alternative

I am wondering if others have done something like the following...

I have a Jackery 1000, and I have actually plugged the trailer into the Jackery just to see if it would work (for things other than A/C). It does. However, that goes through the Jackery inverter which introduces some losses. Has anyone connected a power station as a DC source, on an A/B switch so that it essentially an alternative to your batteries?

My thinking is that the furnace and all other DC sources would operate as normal, and I would be able to remove the Jackery in the morning and charge it up while in transit or via solar. It would also keep the Jackery inside where it would not be subject to low temps or theft.

Thoughts?
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It it theoretically possible, but the battery is roughly the same as a single 100Ahr lithium battery so there isn't much advantage I can see to justify the hack you would have to make to the solar generator. There are no high current DC output ports provided so you would have to modify the pretty covering to tap directly into the battery with 6 or 8 AWG cables and provide a suitable 50 amp or more capable connector on the trailer.

Here are some more practical ideas to consider.

1. Get a DC to DC charger for the trailer and boost the tow vehicle provided voltage to allow up to 20 amps charging rate from the vehicle while towing. I see a 4 amp model for $30, a 15 amp model for $110 and a 20 amp model for $160. Installation is simple.

2. Leave everything alone. Vehicle will charge battery to about 85% in 6 hour drive unless you have lithium batteries in the trailer.

3. Lead Acid batteries like 20 F and don't mind cold temps down to -30 F and lower, though voltage does drop a bit. Lithium batteries should not be charged at full currents beginning at about 45 F and less than 3 amps at about 20 F and lower. So leave your lead acid batteries out in the cold and don't worry about them.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
There's a great thread about this topic started by pteck (hot link). He did it with a Goal Zero unit.

It's an interesting alternative to going "all in" with Lithium house batteries.

-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Jeff for that great suggestion, and hot link cross-reference to pteck's excellent thread.

Here are some "Goal Zero" search results for the entire AirForums.com site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goal...=airforums.com

Lots of great ideas and creative solutions all over this site.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
There's a great thread about this topic started by pteck (hot link). He did it with a Goal Zero unit.

It's an interesting alternative to going "all in" with Lithium house batteries.

-Jeff
Thanks, a very interesting thread !
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote