Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
That is for the 4.3" monitor. They also have a 4.6" and 7", with higher prices. I'm not sure which size Airstream uses.
The 5.6" screen is another $100, $499.
The 7" monitor seems to be sold as just the monitor.
I'm not trying to talk you into any system, just pointing out that $999 PLUS install is high.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
This would certainly do the trick for cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M260I3Z...A1IK4DSVX9W62A

This combination dashcam and 7" rearview display would be awesome as it's bigger and more full featured. Could easily make it wireless with this an add on.
https://www.amazon.com/TEQStone-Back...+view+dash+cam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z9E4DW..._t4_B00RVIZQMG
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearviewmonitor.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	293219

When I have more free time, I might give this a try.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I keep hoping to find a small display that I would just hang on my rear view mirror when I am towing, then I could just look into the natural location to see behind me but have it be the view behind the trailer. Perhaps a cheap Android phone connected to a WiFi camera is the way to go, and then just find a method to clip it over the mirror in a landscape orientation.

Most of these systems have giant displays that are bigger than anyone wants to accommodate, sure if you are in an RV or big rig you can fit it in...but not most passenger focused TVs.

--edit
Apparently I had waited too long to reply as I see pteck posted a display mirror that is exactly what I suggested, now to research it.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #44
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I did visit the rostra.com website. Poorly done website. Too many products with no info as where to purchase.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The 5.6" screen is another $100, $499.
The 7" monitor seems to be sold as just the monitor.
I'm not trying to talk you into any system, just pointing out that $999 PLUS install is high.
To be fair, I meant it as $999 INCLUDING install.

Still, that's pretty steep. They didn't specify what size screen.

Think I'll stick with my GoPro Session suction cupped to the trailer when I'm backing up.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Thanks for your imput...here's what I did.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread with your comments and suggestions. After reading and considering them all here's what I did.

First off I ran across this YouTube video:

Then I ordered off Amazon the following:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then with a few bits, pieces and cable extensions I put the system together in my coach and took off on a 500 mile plus journey. The system worked flawlessly. Using my Ipad as a monitor I had a clear view of what was coming up on my rear during my entire multi day trip.

Total cost of everything....less than $65 bucks!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Thanks to all who responded to this thread with your comments and suggestions. After reading and considering them all here's what I did.

First off I ran across this YouTube video:

Then I ordered off Amazon the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then with a few bits, pieces and cable extensions I put the system together in my coach and took off on a 500 mile plus journey. The system worked flawlessly. Using my Ipad as a monitor I had a clear view of what was coming up on my rear during my entire multi day trip.

Total cost of everything....less than $65 bucks!

A person after my own heart!! $65 - nice!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #48
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Is there an app for an iPad to view the EC170-08 camera? Does the 903W wifi transmitter transfer the signal then to my iPad thru the app I would have to install? Does this show the setup in the instructions, since I am not very tech savvy?
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Missinglink5, yes they come with instructions to install the app. The camera picks the image and the transmitter sends it to you whatever you have the app downloaded to or both. For highway use its fine but there is a slight delay you notice when backing up. You shouldn't be in a big rush anyway.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingLink5 View Post
Is there an app for an iPad to view the EC170-08 camera? Does the 903W wifi transmitter transfer the signal then to my iPad thru the app I would have to install? Does this show the setup in the instructions, since I am not very tech savvy?
The setup is pretty straight forward. In essence this is what is taking place:
1. The sending unit creates it's own "wifi network".
2. When it is turned on, go to the "wifi settings" on your phone or tablet.
3. Chose the cameras network. (when doing your install you can actually "name" what you want to all it)
4. Go to the "app" (instructions for choosing which app are in the instructions) and immediately the image that the camera is seeing should appear on your phone/tablet.

I personally use a small iPad mini that I set on the counsel of our tow vehicle. I find it's best to keep it (table) plugged into a power source as the device will drain down the battery if your trip includes "long drives".

It's a good setup and will save you big bucks. I don't have more than $50 or $60 bucks invested. Now using it in our 2nd camping season.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Rpatrick16, do you experience any lag time with your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
The setup is pretty straight forward. In essence this is what is taking place:
1. The sending unit creates it's own "wifi network".
2. When it is turned on, go to the "wifi settings" on your phone or tablet.
3. Chose the cameras network. (when doing your install you can actually "name" what you want to all it)
4. Go to the "app" (instructions for choosing which app are in the instructions) and immediately the image that the camera is seeing should appear on your phone/tablet.

I personally use a small iPad mini that I set on the counsel of our tow vehicle. I find it's best to keep it (table) plugged into a power source as the device will drain down the battery if your trip includes "long drives".

It's a good setup and will save you big bucks. I don't have more than $50 or $60 bucks invested. Now using it in our 2nd camping season.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
Rpatrick16, do you experience any lag time with your system.
Huge lag time. You cannot really trust it for traffic lane changes unless you are going faster than the vehicle you just passed. Backing up can also be a hurdle. As there is easily a 2 plus second delay. So you need to be super careful and take the delay into account. But compared to nothing it is still handy as you know if someone is riding your tail or coming up on you.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote