Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I moved the door to the back so I dont have to walk through the trailer to get to the bathroom when its done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	136305  

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Austin , Texas
I have a 1983 34ft Limited. would like to ditch the coucho and replace with 2 recliners. I have 2 battery boxes under the coucho. What recliners will fit?

Andy
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #63
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
We own a 2000 Excella 31', and love it except for the extremly uncomfortable sofa across the front of the living room. We have fought this thing for the past two years.
A few weeks ago, we were in nothern Indiana, visiting family and friends. We found a small Amish furniture manufacturer who produces a 27" wide "wall-hugger" recliner. His quality is excellent.
We bought two of them, and gave him that uncomfortable sofa. I am building a cabinet that will find between the recliners, the cabinet will be made of red oak to match the other woodwork.
We will actually gain more storeage than we lost (in the sofa drawer), and the Excella s a whole lot more comfortable....
For whatever it's worth,
Larry C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Hey y'all,

For those of you who asked for the pictures of the completed project, here they are....(if I can figure out how to do it)

These are the recliners that I bought in Indiana this summer, while on vacation. They are "wall huggers" and very comfortable. I removed the uncomfortable sofa, as you can see....and built modular storage units above the battery boxes.

Also storage units were built to replace the end storage, and a console between the chairs. The wood used is red oak, and the stain is clost to the rest of the original finish. the clearcoat over the stain is 3 coats of Minwax PolyCrylic.

All in all, we gained a considerable amount of storage, and for the first time since we've owned this AS, we have very comfortable seating for the two of us.

I have a very well equipped shop, and it took me about 30 work hours, including finishing to complete the project.

Last year, I installed the laminate flooring, including the bathroom, that took about the same amount of time...

Comments are welcome..

Larry C

Attachment 64135

Attachment 64136

Attachment 64137

Attachment 64138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
I have a 1983 34ft Limited. would like to ditch the coucho and replace with 2 recliners. I have 2 battery boxes under the coucho. What recliners will fit?

Andy
Hi, Andy!

The above talks about adding recliners, using custom cabinetry (that the poster made) and "store bought" chairs. Perhaps if you contacted him directly, he could give you the name of where he got those chairs.

Failing that, I would suggest you start a new thread in the "General Interior Topics part of the Interior Repair Forum and ask your question there.

This link will take you there:

General Interior Topics - Airstream Forums

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Our gaucho was so uncomfortable so the decision was made to buy two recliners. We measured the interior width then we went to Laziboy furniture store and bought two recliners. They are wall huggers and fit perfectly in the space. We selected the fabric we wanted so had to wait several weeks for them. A small table from our home fits perfectly in between. If we need extra seating our patio chairs can easily be brought inside. One of the best things we have done. We chose fabric over leather because of the temperature changes that can occur.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I wondered that myself. Hey I like and did like the 70s. Very, very good to me.

Anyway putting in a different size window or a vista view over it is not desecrating the iconic style of an Airstream in my humble opinion. And I tend to agree with Gunny, these units belong to the owner and should be customized at will and not preserved for the future vintage owners market. Purists who feel that strongly should buy up as many vintage Airstreams as possible to preserve them from extinction to preserve integrity and relinguish control and opinions on the ones that don't belong to them.
I agree with Frank. I love the attitude on here about modifying the older airstreams because everyone that gets cut up makes my originals worth alot more money
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We took out the shag rug and the gaucho and replaced the floor we pergo and gaucho with an ultra leather U-shape.

Biggest change was the addition of a 30 gallon grey tank and system mid coach with its own dump valve.

The drapes were made by JPA drapes, I just needed to adjust the clips on the rails once we bolted the U-shape in. We also used a ultra leather on the walls to cover over the dents to match the dinette.

Out side rock guards lower panels and windows and new zip dee awnings. In the rear repainted the bathroom with deck paint. Most everything else is original. A few panels and all Vista windows replaced. Fun, and well worth the investment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	U-shape 1 (2).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	583.9 KB
ID:	189281  
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post

Andy
Andy,
I did our second AS (2000 Excella, 30') as you describe, when the people whom we bought it from saw it, they asked me to do the same to their new AS. Other than the time involved, it's a pretty easy upgrade. I did build additional cabinets behide the chairs and installed a console between them.

We have since sold that unit and bought a 2001 30' Excella, and plan to do the same thing this winter with this one. Also we're going to install laminate flooring and a couple other things....

Having a fairly well equipped woodworking shop helps a lot...If you want to talk more about it, call me @ 251-923-6000
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #68
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
Aage, awesome thread! I got the 22 CCD with the desk in the back. I love it, but...

I am so done with the whole dinette thing. I would like to remove the whole thing and add a built in sofa from the door to the desk. I have seen Bandit's remodel, reusing the dinette as bench seating against the wall.

That would give me a bit bigger floor space and a place to relax and not be in bed...

Did so much homework at that wretched dinette! Probably a good thing as it kept me awake; being so very uncomfortable.

would love to see any pictures of a dinette made into a customized sofa or something like that?

smiles!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Up date

Aage, thanks for re-re-introducing this old thread.

Since my original contribution in 2008, more shots of the “customization” of a 1976 ARGOSY:

Name:	refections.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	189359

World’s only “diesel-powered” Airstream?

No propane. Tongue space used by the compressor for the LG “Art Cool” residential/commercial split air unit. Small aluminum box below houses the WEBASTO diesel furnace. Hydronic heating for water and space. Inside, warm, radiant heat moved by virtually soundless 12v fan blower units.

Brilliant Pepper White and Black two-tone paint scheme matches Mini Cooper traveling companion.

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	189361

Custom built control panel. 110 v LG fridge runs on shore power or 1500 w inverter. LG Art Cool AC cools space soundlessly. Pantry pulls out. Custom sliding door to rear bath. Dimmable pot lamps throughout coach.

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	189362

Pull out desk in mid ship office. WEBASTO diesel cook top in black ceramic. IKEA cabinetry through out, weight-reduced. Aluminum backsplash, Marmoleum counter top.

Name:	dogwoods.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	189360

Rig on the road in Northern Louisiana as the dogwoods came out.

Name:	loo 1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	189363
CONCERTO ceramic home style commode by Dometic. IKEA cabinetry.

Name:	MB.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	189364

Loaded for the road. Note the custom made canvas rock protectors.

Name:	rig2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	189365
New Zip Dee awning. Note salvage window retrofitted in door.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #70
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
dreamy...

Your upgrades are exquisite Sergei, beyond just good. You broke so many molds with your appliances, manner of towing / "toad", and finishes, each time I look at your work, I am truly in awe.

Can you share with us why you are selling, or is it too personal?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Aage, thanks for re-re-introducing this old thread.

Since my original contribution in 2008, more shots of the “customization” of a 1976 ARGOSY:

Attachment 189359

World’s only “diesel-powered” Airstream?

No propane. Tongue space used by the compressor for the LG “Art Cool” residential/commercial split air unit. Small aluminum box below houses the WEBASTO diesel furnace. Hydronic heating for water and space. Inside, warm, radiant heat moved by virtually soundless 12v fan blower units.

Brilliant Pepper White and Black two-tone paint scheme matches Mini Cooper traveling companion.

Attachment 189361

Custom built control panel. 110 v LG fridge runs on shore power or 1500 w inverter. LG Art Cool AC cools space soundlessly. Pantry pulls out. Custom sliding door to rear bath. Dimmable pot lamps throughout coach.

Attachment 189362

Pull out desk in mid ship office. WEBASTO diesel cook top in black ceramic. IKEA cabinetry through out, weight-reduced. Aluminum backsplash, Marmoleum counter top.

Attachment 189360

Rig on the road in Northern Louisiana as the dogwoods came out.

Attachment 189363
CONCERTO ceramic home style commode by Dometic. IKEA cabinetry.

Attachment 189364

Loaded for the road. Note the custom made canvas rock protectors.

Attachment 189365
New Zip Dee awning. Note salvage window retrofitted in door.

Sergei
Hi, I might have said this before, or something like it, but you have done a fantastic job and have been extremely creative.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thanks Aage and Bob. Always appreciate hearing from you....

I forgot this snap in the last post:

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	189658

The sink that I was so proud of, created out of a $19 IKEA salad bowl, didn't work out in the end and was replaced a couple of years ago by a similar vessel sink in glass. Don't have a photo at the moment.

Aage, your question about why I've decided to sell is answered here on my main thread, post #702:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-51.html

Thanks again for your nice words.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . We got a tour of Sergei's Argosy at Springstream and in person, it is REALLY cool. The whole package is so well thought out. I hope the buyer will use it frequently. Regards, Craig

Tags
upgrades