Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

1967 24' Tradewind
Benson , Arizona
Finding parts for 1967 24' Tradewind

My name is Danny Harriman, and I have a 1967 24' Tradewind. It needs alot of work, so I'm triing to get all the parts I can for as cheap as possible. I need windows, refridgerator, water pump, wiring diagram for the 12 volt wiring system, the access panel that goes right under the tail lights, the access panel that goes behind the refridgerator, I can go on and on. These are just a few things that I'm going to need right away. My wife and I are wanting to become full-timers but we have alot of work to do, and not that much money to spend. So if any body can point me into the right direction it would greatly appreciated.
Danny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I think that vwswingfield may be selling his 67 Tradewind for a good deal.

Steve
Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
parts.

We have more parts for the vintage trailers, than anyone on the planet.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I think that vwswingfield may be selling his 67 Tradewind for a good deal.

Steve
Ok, I have been procrastinating on getting it ready for sale. I do have a couple of people locally who want right of first refusal. I will put in the classifieds when I get off my, well, you know.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

1967 24' Tradewind
Benson , Arizona
1967 24' Tradewind parts

I'm really not triing to buy anther AS. The one I've got is a great fixer upper, and its my first one so I really want to fix this one. It does need some work but nothing that can't be fixed. Plus...to me half the fun is going to be fixing it up. I would just like to find someone that has renovated their's and either get some tips or be able to buy some good used parts. I really need to get a diagram some how for ALL the wiring inside and out. To me, (being a doityourselfer) this is going to be a fun challenge.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Hartford , Iowa
[/quote=RustyL] My wife and I have ourchased a 1967 international airstream and I have taken everything out of it. I have an electrical box. I would be happy to sell you this for 10$ plus shipping if interested. My e-mail adress is SinclairR@wmpenn.edu I am not sure what shipping would be I would have to check. I also have a stove, furnace, refrigerator, water pump, some inside lights and fixtures and a range top. I don't know if they work. I don't plan on using them. I am willing to price and sell if interested. I also have the water tank. I plan on selling them all befor sring of 2008.

I have decided to rewire it completly since in 1967 they thought aluminum wiring was a good idea. Who ever owned this airstream befor me added apliances that had copper wiring. I found burnt wiring and fire spots in the walls since copper and aluminum do not mix. This is a code violation in commercial and residential housing because of this.

I have decided to insulate the walls with a soy-foam insulation. I am going to use a fireproof type wich sells between $235-355 a cylinder. I think a cylinder I need to reinsulate my 28 ft. International would cost me around $355 this will cover around 250 sq. foot. The video of this product shows the different swelling rate and how much it will cover. This video led me to this conclusion.

This cylinder should fill the floor cavity as well, if not I will have to purchase more. I have found that the pricing is comparable to fiberglass insulation, but foam seals like none other and it has a better R-value. I tested the fire proofing foam at work with an acetaline torch and it didn't hardly discolor it.

If any one is interested in pictures of this remodel e-mail me and I will send them to you.

Thank you,

Rusty and Mary Sinclair
- Give karma
RustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #7

1967 24' Tradewind
Benson , Arizona
To Rusty L., I would like to see the parts you have for sale. I would also like to know if I'm going to have to re-wire my whole AS. because I have aluminum wiring throughout the AS. I'm under the impression that I need copper wiring throughout the entire AS. If you could let me know, that would be great. And if you could get me some pictures of what you are triing to sell, and some prices that would be great as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Hartford , Iowa
Hi Danny,
I am sorry I didn't get your e-mail until now, it was lost in my file. If you don't take out the aluminum wiring you will definately have some type of arching from puting copper and aluminum together. This is a commercial and residential caode violation in construction because of the fires it has caused. i found burnt areas where the copper lights were hard wired to the aluminum wiring. I showed this to my wife and she was amazed. I have decided to use a flex conduit with copper wiring in it already. This will contain any problems or shorts in wiring. I say this because that can happen if a power surge happens to what your camper might be hooked into.

Again I am sorry for my tardiness,

Rusty Sinclair
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Hartford , Iowa
Hi Danny I had already gotten rid of all of the parts I had, I hopr you find what you are looking for.

Rusty
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny H
To Rusty L., I would also like to know if I'm going to have to re-wire my whole AS. because I have aluminum wiring throughout the AS. I'm under the impression that I need copper wiring throughout the entire AS.
Replacing the aluminum 110 will prove to be a difficult and time consuming project. The cable runs thru grommets in the ribs. It's too tight to fish out and even if you did the grommets may not stay in place. As you pull new wire you can shave the insulation off the cable. Most take off the interior skin to do the work.
If you have enough wire in your boxes you may be able to replace the outlets with new ones rated for copper and aluminum.(CO/AL).
I had to go to an electric supply store to get the correct parts. I replaced all the outlets and put in a new breaker box. The smoke pouring out of the kitchen outlet one morning after plugging in the tea maker was a wake up call of sorts to fix the issue ASAP.
If there isn't enough wire you may be able to find an electrician that will have the equiptment to do the correct splice. From what I was able to determine it involves a high pressure crimp using a special connector.

Good luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny H
I'm really not triing to buy anther AS. The one I've got is a great fixer upper, and its my first one so I really want to fix this one. It does need some work but nothing that can't be fixed. Plus...to me half the fun is going to be fixing it up. I would just like to find someone that has renovated their's and either get some tips or be able to buy some good used parts. I really need to get a diagram some how for ALL the wiring inside and out. To me, (being a doityourselfer) this is going to be a fun challenge.
Check with the Four Corners Unit in AZ, CO, NM. They have a Restoration Rally coming up in Albuquerque, NM on the April 25 weekend. All the camping spots may be booked but you might be able to drop in during the day, get a look at other vintage Airstreams and talk to their owners about the repairs they have made.

You can find info in the Rally Calendar at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...=2008-4-26&c=1

You might also stop in at the Airstream dealer in Tucson, it's close to Benson and I hear they are very experienced with vintage units. They might be able to help answer some of your questions.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags