Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Zippy and the Chief

2021 30' Globetrotter
Chapin , South Carolina
Cheap bed airflow mod.

We've been planning a trip for about a year and have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of forums discussing the issue of airflow around and under the beds. We have a FC 28 Twin, and I wanted to address 2 things I didn't like about the twins.
1. The width of the bed platform is too small to support the mattresses. This was an easy fix, just cut some nice plywood to the curvature of the wall, and add a couple of inches to the total width, such that it supports the mattress further out so I'm not rolling out of bed.

In keeping with our goal of never adversely making changes that can't be undone leaving no trace. We like original things, because we believe that one day, someone may want to buy our AS and hope that it's unscathed. The base board is velcro'd down in four places. It doesn't move at all and zero drilling, or cutting of the original platform.

2. To address the airflow. After looking at all the suggested solutions, I felt they were either way too expensive, ie Froli or the spun fiber mesh systems. My solution was to purchase a pack of 24 interlocking, flexible plastic shower/bath mats, that raised the surface aboout 3/16s above a floor to allow water drainage. I surmised that if it can allow water to drain off, it can certainly also provide enough airflow to prevent condensation buildup and mold/mildew under the mattresses.

My only mistake was under estimating the number of squares I'd need. I bought a pack of 24 from Amazon, at $25, but they've since raised the price of that to almost $50. I used 20 tiles. So if you're thinking of trying it, order at least 40 for twins. I'm sure a Queen would be slightly less. Still exponentially cheaper alternative to the other options. I'm going to try to include the pictures I took, but here is the link to the shower squares.

The tiles lay nice and flat. To make it stay where it's supposed to, I used 1/2 screws from home depot (in a picture) and they worked great. I would cut a spike off where it would naturally insert into another tile, and would screw into the receiving section..perfect fit and you just screw it down enough to where the screw head doesn't project. There was some cutting, done with a cheap scissors, and I used a utility knife to cut the spikes where needed. I did one twin in about 45 minutes. Easy peasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Interlocking-.../dp/B086SN9H99
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airbed1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	396103   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_161120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	396104  

Name:	20210524_161242.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	396105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_161439.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	396106  

Name:	20210524_161136.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	396107   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_161303.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	396108  

2021 GT 30RBTwin
2018 Chevy 2500 HD LTZ
ScottOldre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Bought this item 15 minute install, lays flat and cuts to shape with a good scissors. Company was very nice to order from, sent a personalized note and good instructions but very simple. Product used on boats.

Den-Dry Mattress Underlay-Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHJRDDG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
McPherson , Kansas
Great idea on the tiles! Still working as intended?
jkallmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
Zippy and the Chief

2021 30' Globetrotter
Chapin , South Carolina
still working great

Zero issues with dampness or mold under our mattresses using the cheap tiles. Plenty of gap and plenty of air flow through the tiles. Highly recommend it as a much cheaper alternative to some of the commercial products being sold.

Scott
ScottOldre is offline   Reply With Quote