Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Oxford , Oxon
bits 'n' bobs

Hello
I am currently looking to buy an empty shell for restoration. I will be shipping MY NICE SHINEY Airstream back to the UK to do the work.
What i need to know is where to buy the kitchen and water appliances, second hand or new. what to look for- tell tale signs of wear or poor performance etc.
Is it easy to buy axel and brake re-build kits and other servicing parts?
If there are any on-line shops and anyone has some links for me that would be super.
ta-ta.
kayamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Do some searches and you will find much of what you need. There have been a lot of discussions about axels, but of course you won't know exactly what you need until you have a trailer located. Appliances can be bought new, which is probably much better than shipping used parts overseas. Everything you need is available. You will even find some members who have had their trailers shipped to Europe, if you need advice on how to do that. So poke around and see what you can find out

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayamtom
If there are any on-line shops and anyone has some links for me that would be super.
ta-ta.
Try http://www.inlandrv.com/ and you will find more than you thought you needed to know, and plenty you wished you didn't have to know!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would imagine you could get new RV appliances in England that would fit and be a lot more economic than buying new ones here and having them shipped across the pond. If you want to stick with original vintage appliances, that's a different story...but harder to find/maintain.

Another thought...Propane appliances would probably be okay, but what kind of electrical modifications would need to be made if they are american-wired?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Almost everything in the trailer is 12 Volt DC and runs off the battery / inverter. The inverter would have to be changed to match your power. The outlets would need to be changed. I would get the AC (cooler) where you live. The refrigerator also runs on shore power, so that would need to be converted also. I am not sure about the plug for shore power, but most likely that would need to be replaced also. The other way around it is to get a 230 V 50 Cycle to 110 V 60 Cycle convertor and install it where shore power comes into the unit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayamtom
Hello
I am currently looking to buy an empty shell for restoration. I will be shipping MY NICE SHINEY Airstream back to the UK to do the work.
What i need to know is where to buy the kitchen and water appliances, second hand or new. what to look for- tell tale signs of wear or poor performance etc.
Hit the Dometic site www.dometic.com they have all the appliances you could ever need for your domestic market. Also see if you can find a wrecking yard for Caravans I am sure there are some over there somewhere. The next time I chat with my friend's niece I will ask...they live some where near Durham and have a decent sized caravan. BTW I am going to have to order a gas oven from overseas via Dometic because they don't sell stand alone gas ovens in the USA for RV's anymore.

Good Luck with your adventures; keep us posted and post lots of pictures!!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I would imagine you could get new RV appliances in England that would fit and be a lot more economic than buying new ones here and having them shipped across the pond. If you want to stick with original vintage appliances, that's a different story...but harder to find/maintain.

Another thought...Propane appliances would probably be okay, but what kind of electrical modifications would need to be made if they are american-wired?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
It would be less cost in import duty fees if the appliances were used, and IIRC, European electric is 220v. Remember the Travelocity Gnome? ("Am I going to die?")
Converting a fridge may be fairly straightforward, as there are no electric motors, and only a couple of switches that would need to be changed, as well as the electric heating element. The A/C would be another story, as would the Univolt...