Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Airstream for use in South America

Hello everybody, I´m looking into getting a trailer (+28 ft.) but I have some rookie questions :

1. Is a 2010 Ford F150 5.4 V8 good enough to move a 28-30 ft Airstream trailer ?.
2. Is it possible to convert to 220v a used 110v trailer if I buy it in the USA ?.
3. If getting a new one, would it be possible to order it with 220v ?.

Regards

Cocoy
Cocoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Yes
Yes
I don't know

And, welcome
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You would probably need an F150 with a tow package (low geared axle). Even then it won't like the hills. The newer trailers are much heavier than the old ones. If you are pulling a new trailer you are going to be at the limit of what the truck can pull. Then add all the stuff you want to put in the bed of the truck and you are over your weight limit.

We just had this discussion with a guy from New Zealand. He was going to use a step down transformer to power his trailer using a 220V source. I expect Airstream can modify the electrical system in a new trailer for 220V operation. They make European spec trailers and send them overseas.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
3. yes - I read on this forum that a member has a 50 amp 220v from the factory. It is available in a 2014 unit when ordering it unit with 2 air conditioners.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think he means that in South America they use 220V like we use 120V. Here when we use 220V is it really 120V + 120V and you can split off 120V to run everything. In some countries they just have 220V period. There is no way to get 120V unless you use a step down transformer. The logic behind this might be purely to save wire. You also don't have to have separate circuits for 120V and 220V.

Perry
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
3. yes - I read on this forum that a member has a 50 amp 220v from the factory. It is available in a 2014 unit when ordering it unit with 2 air conditioners.
Perhaps it might be a better idea to go for a new one and get it 220v straight from the factory.

But here´s the dilemma : we are planning to shot a road movie on it. So in one hand we need to use the electrical outlets with 220v power for some lighting but on the other hand the script ask for a 90´s trailer and the new ones looks quite modern on the interior. Outside they are perfect !.

Regards
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I think he means that in South America they use 220V like we use 120V. Here when we use 220V is it really 120V + 120V and you can split off 120V to run everything. In some countries they just have 220V period. There is no way to get 120V unless you use a step down transformer. The logic behind this might be purely to save wire. You also don't have to have separate circuits for 120V and 220V.

Perry
Yes we use 220v and we cannot split it into 2x 120v. As Perry said it´s just 220v period. The wiring is pretty much the same as in the USA. I have modified the plugs from electronic items purchased in the USA (with 110-230v range of course) with no problem. Plug and play !. Three cables : neutral and ground. Most of the time ground being green, hot > red and neutral > white.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You are just going to shoot a movie in it and not camp? If that is the case, just replace the 12V power supply converter with one that will run off 220V and that gets all the 12V systems working. The fridge would need a different heating element if you plan to use that. The AC unit will have to be replaced with one that works on 220V. Some of the newer ones may be switchable. Anything else you will have to replace or use converters on. You might be able to run the AC system with a boat anchor step down transformer.

Perry
Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

What is the tow rating for your Ford 150.

The older 150s and 1500s were rated to tow about 5000 lbs. Now some are rated up to 6500 lbs. The conservative rule of thumb is to only use 80% of your towing capacity. Another thing to know is that you need to add the cargo, and passenger weight to the weight of the trailer. All of which are still unknown.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Is a 2010 Ford F150 5.4 V8 good enough to move a 28-30 ft Airstream trailer ?.
I have a 2009 Ford F150 with a 4.6LHO engine. It is rated for 8100 lbs towing and 1548 lbs. payload as a super crew model.

Look inside the door for the payload rating. That is what you will subtract tongue weight from. What is left is your people and cargo weight.

A 28' FC or INT weighs around 7600 lbs loaded- bring it on. A 30' Classic is 10,000 lbs - too much.

A 5.4L is slightly more powerful than my engine (30HP/70 ft. lbs.) but would certainly have a bit more capacity with a towing package.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Hi Perry : For the movie we have a 150kva, 3 phase generator with plenty 220v outlets. So 220v power when parked is not a problem. Powering the production lights while driving is.

I will look into the F150 specs to see if it has the tow package. It´s a 2010 F150 Lariat 5.4 V8.

YESSS !!!!. I do want to keep the trailer for me and my family after the movie its done and camp on it like crazy !!.

Since everyone here have been so kind I´d like to share the idea of the script. It´s based on a personal story of mine back when I was 20 years old, a young misfit who inherits his grandfather treasured travel trailer (it was really a motorhome but the Airstream is much more cinematic !), on the condition that I make the journey he wasn´t able to do because of his health.
That trip really change my life and I returned, after +/- 10.000 kms., as a completely different person.

Thanks to all !!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you will use it only for the movie, why buy one?

Unless it will be destroyed, of course. But even then, just rent one locally. Or buy one, I supose. Just a bit older that the script calls for and then you can blow it to smithereens, or whatever the Ozzie equivalent to that is.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
If you will use it only for the movie, why buy one ?.

It won´t be destroyed at all. One of the conditions, 20 years ago, was to return it without a single scratch. Which I did. If I were in the US I´d rent it but there are no Airstreams in Chile. Actually there little to none RV culture in here. Renting from the US is a no deal, as the shipping + insurance should be near 16k back and forth. And I would love to keep it after the film gets done.

As for my F150, it comes with Trailer Tow Package which includes : Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator and auxiliary transmission oil cooler.

There´s also a Max. Trailer Tow Package with all of the above plus upgraded rear bumper, trailer brake controller, upgraded rear springs, heavy duty front eye bushing and trailer tow mirrors.

Both Packages appear listed as required for towing over 5.000 lbs.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
BTW, the Max Tow capacity of my F150 as it is now (2010 Lariat 5.4 V8, Trailer Tow Package, axle ratio 3.55) is 9.500 lbs.. Adding the Max. Trailer Tow Packages it goes to 11.100 lbs.

An Airstream 28 rates at 7.600 lbs. aprox. Almost 2.000 lbs. below the max towing capacity. Sounds good to me.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How are you going to get the trailer to where you are? So you are going to use it in Chile where you live. You live there and you will use the trailer in Chile when the movie is over? I think contacting Airstream you help you. They can tell you what you will need to change and what is available in 220V that is off the shelf.

Perry
Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How are you going to get the trailer to where you are? So you are going to use it in Chile where you live. You live there and you will use the trailer in Chile when the movie is over? I think contacting Airstream you help you. They can tell you what you will need to change and what is available in 220V that is off the shelf.

Perry
I'll bring the trailer by seafreight. I did a corporate film around the world for CSAV a couple of years ago and might get a good price. Yes I want to keep the trailer and use it after the movie is done.

I'm already talking to Airstream (service) and they told me they haven't converted a 110v trailer to 220v yet. They are going to see what is possible with a new unit.

Also trying to contact someone from marketing at Airstream but no much luck yet...

So far the 27 Eddie Bauer seems like the right one. It's not as modern looking as the other models and light enough for the F150.
For the movie it will be tow with a G series 90's Mercedes, but just for the shots.
The actual towing will be done by the F150.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
You could just leave the trailer as it is with 12v/120v and carry a single transformer/electrical distribution box that stepped down the 220 to 120 and connected with an umbilical to the standard trailer shore power plug. It would be small enough to fit in an external storage compartment.

We spent three years in Chile (Anto) and then another three years in Europe, and had five transformers spread around the house to power audio/visual, computers, and kitchen countertop appliances. When we came home we had a 220 v Italian ice cream maker with a compressor with us, and it is still running years later on one of the old transformers, with the plugs reversed to function as a step-up transformer from 120 to 220.

It just seems like it would be expensive to get a custom built Airstream unless they have a 220 v version for those markets. A transformer is cheap and reliable. You just have to remember which appliances are voltage-sensing and which ones aren't.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You could just leave the trailer as it is with 12v/120v and carry a single transformer/electrical distribution box that stepped down the 220 to 120 and connected with an umbilical to the standard trailer shore power plug.
The only thing I would worry about there is any appliances with AC motors. I believe that the AC unit has such a motor. They don't all accept running on a 60Hz supply if they were manufactured for 50Hz.

But hopefully the Airstream person you contacted knows the details of this question...
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Hi Jeff, you lived for three years in Antofagasta ?. Working for a mining company over there ?. Been there many times. The Dakar rally passes nearby on summer.

That's an option yes, having a lot of transformers all over the trailer but there are two problems. I assume the AC, which I understand is 120v might be internally wired so no chance to use a "plug and play transformer" there. Also this way I would have to be all over my 4 kids so they don't plug things without using the transformers. Knowing them, specially the little twins, I'd have everything burned except for the AC within a year.

I assume, since Airstream sells trailers to Europe too, this should be a standard option for them !.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santiago , Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The only thing I would worry about there is any appliances with AC motors. I believe that the AC unit has such a motor. They don't all accept running on a 60Hz supply if they were manufactured for 50Hz.

But hopefully the Airstream person you contacted knows the details of this question...
Yes, the AC is a concern. Also I don't really like the idea of having transformers all over the place. Specially when you have very limited space as in a trailer.

Perhaps one transformer for the main input but you still have the AC.

The last problem is to replace the american sockets for ours. But that should be an easier job...