Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
surrey , British Columbia
truck rental for towing

purchased a 24' airstream. I want to fly out, rent a truck set up for towing from Arkansas to Phoenix maybe to Seattle.

does anyone no of such a company? I tried Avis, Budget and Enterprise.

thx,
Al.
IAFF2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Best of luck!!!!

Hello -

Tried to do the same when I was moving cross country with the family AND the AirStream. Short answer, there are NO big moving companies that have vehicles that are set up to move anything like an AirStream. All the companies I looked at had 2" balls and 10K limits on the bumper hitches. Plus there is NO LIABILITY if you deviate from what they equipe the truck with - should there be a wreck, or a problem of ANY sort!!!!

Consider having that TT moved on a flat bed, or else rent a TV locally that will get there and back with none of the issues of renting a truck from the big truck rental co's. Check with local dealers - they have to have a LOAD of big trucks/SUV's sitting around that they would love to make a few bucks on, rather than havingt them sit around and gathering dust (and costing them $'s to have sit). Just a thought.

Keep us posted, oh and be SURE to post LOADS of photos when you get that AS home!!!

All the best....!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
When thinking about what I was going to do in this situation, I decided I'd probably spend less by buying a truck local to where my Airstream was... and selling it when I got home (though in our case it's a vintage truck and we're keeping it as our tow vehicle.)

It's a big gamble compared to renting or borrowing someone elses. In terms of what you're going to find mechanically when you pick it up, whether or not you'll make your money back when you try and resell it later, and insuring it and driving without the title in your name... it's all a risk - but one I decided to take.

I flew down south, bought the old Jeep sight unseen, drove out to pick up the Airstream and towed it home without major issues (leaky seal on the oil pan and the alternator died one night.)

Thankfully, the only big engine troubles I've had with it have all cropped up *since* I've been home!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Another total shot in the dark, and it's really such a slim chance I don't even know why I'm writing this...

Once in a while people will post on their local Craigslist to find auto transporters.
IF somebody happened to have a big V8 truck...
and IF they lived in Arkansas...
and IF they happened to randomly want it driven to Phoenix or Seattle...

then you might be able to end up with a free (or just gas) type of ride.
Again, extremely small chance, but might make a post in the Craigslists near your new trailer and see what happens - it's free, and you never know.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well if I tell you how I have done it six times and not tell any one... I will let you know! Go and rent a ryder truck!... Tell them you will be using a car hauler.... And when you show up tell them that you have changed your mind and dont need the car hauler!... Keep in mind that it comes with a 2-5/8 ball so you may have to switch out the ball with a quick stop at wally world... The standard 16 ft truck with nothing in it has more than enough power! On average it has been about $500.00 for the rental pluss gass... If you are unsure the road worthiness of the trailer you can for an extra $150.00 use the car hauler... I take the wheels off and strap the drums to the car hauler... (I replace all my trailers with new axles any way!)....
But dont tell any one I told about the ryder way!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Try U-Haul and make sure you have a seperate insurance policy on the trailer before you pull it of away.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...t=truck-pickup
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think uhaul or ryder is the way to go.. I haven't found a rental company that rents pickups with tow packages..

My brother in law wanted to haul his pickup to kansas form seattle, "You didn't hear this from me" they didn't have much to move so I told him to get a bigger truck and put his small toyota in the back of it... Had to get a flat bed tow truck to dirve it out onto to unload but worked great....

Man Uhaul and Ryder are abused but thats what rental are for...

Thats why I would never buy a used rental vehicle...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Here's a picture of a Ryder rented to tow a Bambi after a brake failure on the tow vehicle. It was all that was available for towing a trailer at the time.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #9

Burbank , California
I'm in the process of moving too, so I've been doing some research online.. found these pages, idunno if they would be of help to you but thought I would add my 2 cents!
www.moving-company-guide.com
www.zmoving.com
www.movers-moving-companies.com

The last 2 seem to be really similar, it looks like you can enter your info and then they find the mover for you? Almost like an insurance broker I think..

If anyone else has info or sites to add, that would be helpful!

Thanks~
Bryan

Bryan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Horizon Transport has a few hundred pick ups towing campers all over the country. We also have a few flatbed trucks to move campers with. Licensed, insured, etc.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Enterprise has a commercial branch that rents pickups with towing equipment. The website notes that they are only for commercial use only - but if you figure out a way around that....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I used Ryder about 12yrs ago to move back to WI from OH. Got a small box truck and a tow dolley from them to put my Jetta on...Im sure I coulda pulled just about anythign with the truck..including an AS...had I had one then :-)
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote