Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Snow country to Sunshine Move

I am interested in purchasing an AS located in Traverse City MI. Problem: I'm in FL and I would like to avoid waiting until March to bring the AS here. The cost of the professional movers is prohibitive ($1.75/mile). I would be willing to P/U the trailer in Nashville (Below snow country). Any Ideas to get the AS south safely during this time of the year would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

>>ron<<
Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If you got a good enough deal on the Airtsream, it might be worth it to have it flatbedded part of the way to a location that you would be comfortable going to get it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Airstream dealers must have people that deliver Airstream trailers, so why not ask a dealer near you if he can recommend a delivery person? Anyone who makes the delivery will be doing a round trip, so it doesn't matter if they deadhead back to Michigan after delivery or deadhead to Michigan before delivery.

For someone making a round trip, $1.75 per mile one way isn't an excessive price if they're only being paid one way and have to put themselves up in a motel for one or more nights after delivery before returning at their own expense.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
The PO is not willing/able to meet you half way?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Protagonist,

I find your remark cavalier. You definitely don't deserve the handle of protagonist. With all due respect there are those of us where $1500 makes a difference when purchasing an RV.

Tin Tin,

Thanks for your answer. I suggested sharing the expense with the seller. No go.

>>ron<<
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Having been watching a little too much Weather Channel lately, I think it may already too late to bring it out of Traverse City, unless by pro, insured mover. Just sayin. . . regards, Craig
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Protagonist,

I find your remark cavalier. You definitely don't deserve the handle of protagonist. With all due respect there are those of us where $1500 makes a difference when purchasing an RV.
$1500 makes a difference to all of us. You misunderstand what I was trying to say. I'm just saying that's pretty much standard pricing for the folks that deliver vehicles/trailers cross-country. They're not trying to gouge you when they quote a price like that for one-way delivery. It's not excessive TO THEM, even though it may be excessive TO YOU and more than you're willing to pay.

Which is one reason why I suggested you talk to your local Airstream dealer and see if he can recommend anyone. Someone who can pick up another delivery (of something, not necessarily another Airstream) for the return trip can split his costs between two customers, and both customers get it cheaper, because neither one is paying for the full round trip.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Like Protagonist said, $1.75 per mile was exactly what we were quoted when we bought our trailer new 5 years ago. Fortunately, the dealer knew an independent operator who would do it for $1.45. So I second the suggestion that you contact a dealer for a referral.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Carver 1
I'm still laughing..."I find your remark cavalier"...we really are the beautiful people...

Seriously, I would let the current weather settle down and keep an eye on it..once it stabilizes I would wait a day or two (to let them clear the interstate), then you have the I-75 going straight through from MI to FL, and its a fairly easy drive. I don't think it would be a dangerous trip...of course, I took delivery 470 miles from here during a blizzard....so maybe I'm not the most sensible one to provide advice. But having made the I-75 trip numerous times, that's what I would do. Jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Next week's weather is suppose to go well above freezing here in SW Ontario. i suppose Michigan will be similar. Good time to make the trip and get it yourself. 3 days max. each way. OOPS that'll cost you a week off work. Maybe that $1.75/mile is not so unreasonable after all. Not being cavalier, just pragmatic.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
Carver1,

I have been following this thread from the recommendation of one of the restoration businesses I ship for.

Protagonist's second entry is very correct. Actually $1.75 is a little bit less than I charge for a dedicated run. Meaning I go pick up your trailer, prep it for transport, deliver and go back empty. So in my eyes that is a great price. My discounts fall into play when I can schedule other moves in with the original load thus bringing it down to the $1.75 level or lower.

Keep in mind what the shippers expenses are, Vehicle maintenance, insurances, DOT regulations, Hotels, transporter tags, bonding and so on. Most reputable carriers charges are at least that price or more.

As far as moving trailers in the winter... I am doing that constantly. Before delivery I find a place to wash the trailer down of road salt. most go to my place and/or delivered to a restoration shop where it is done.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your move.

RJ Dominic
Vintage Transport Solutions
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote