Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
D/bay , Australia
Smile Shipping container question....

Hi everyone, I'm going to bring one of the airstream trailers into Australia, I have been told trailers up to 1968 fit in a container because they are thinner than later models. I want to get the biggest possible in terms of length (30foot or over?) was hoping someone with shipping experience can advise me of the models to be looking at.
Cheers
jj
Tinterjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
cost versus size

wow, what a good question-it is my understanding that there are shipping containers that are wider than the 8'6" exterior dimensions. So, I think any AS could be shipped over-I am quite confident however, that the over sized containers (won't stack as well as standard size units) will cost more. I do have a contact with some inport/export guys in Australia that may be able to help or at least offer suggestions. Please feel free to contact Phil at: www.aussiecoupes.com
phil@aussiecoupes.com
or his USA counterpart Lawrence at:
info@ausfordparts.com www.ausfordparts.com

tell 'em old bill marshall in Battle Ground, WA sent ya.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1978 29' Ambassador
1971 23' Safari
Ball Ground , Georgia
It's not going to fit into a standard container. Standard inside dimension is 7' 8 5/8" wide. Here is a link for container information. http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/fleet/general_cargo_containers.html

May want to consider a ro-ro (roll on roll off) vessel instead.
miker64867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you end up trying to ship an Airstream in a container, you will have to remove all the protruding parts, such as awnings and air conditioners, so it will fit.
Also, I'm not sure about height, but width-wise, an Argosy Minuet would probablt fit in one. They are narrower than the 96"- width Airstream products.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
D/bay , Australia
Hey bill, thanks for the info mate! Yeah I need to fit an AS into a standard size container as your quite right anything over standard and the price rockets. I will have a look at the site from the link you sent. Was hoping someone could shed some light on specific years and models to fit 40ft container.... Anyone???
Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
It won't fit--too wide. I sold a 1975 31' to a fellow in France a few years back. It left Charleston Harbor attached to the 'floor' (whatever that is called, no sides or lid) of a container stacked on top of all the other containers.
So, any length model you buy will fit on a 40 foot 'floor' of a container but not inside.
Good luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
D/bay , Australia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker64867 View Post
It's not going to fit into a standard container. Standard inside dimension is 7' 8 5/8" wide. Here is a link for container information. http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/fleet/general_cargo_containers.html

May want to consider a ro-ro (roll on roll off) vessel instead.
They do fit but as Terry says below you have to remove quite a bit of outside trim to fit. I have a contact here who has done it before but he is a bit vague on specific years and models, he rekons up to 1968 will fit, I just want to see if anyone can be more precise...?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinterjj View Post
Hey bill, thanks for the info mate! Yeah I need to fit an AS into a standard size container as your quite right anything over standard and the price rockets. I will have a look at the site from the link you sent. Was hoping someone could shed some light on specific years and models to fit 40ft container.... Anyone???
1968 and older, if you find a Bambi or Caravel of that era they were even narrower. Almost all of them will fit in a 40 footer, if you get a Bambi or Bambi II you could probably get away with a 20' container.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
D/bay , Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
It won't fit--too wide. I sold a 1975 31' to a fellow in France a few years back. It left Charleston Harbor attached to the 'floor' (whatever that is called, no sides or lid) of a container stacked on top of all the other containers.
So, any length model you buy will fit on a 40 foot 'floor' of a container but not inside.
Good luck.
Upto 1968 is the trick. Your talking about a 1975..
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1978 29' Ambassador
1971 23' Safari
Ball Ground , Georgia
The width of ANY Airstream is going to prevent you from using a closed container, so you may as well get what you want. It will have to be moved using a 40' flat rack. This can accomodate the overwidth and possibly overheight issue as well. A freight forwarder can quote you based on weight, height, length and width specifications.

Here's the link for the 40' flat rack information. 40' Flatrack High Cube - Hapag-Lloyd

Mike
miker64867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
D/bay , Australia
Thanks so much Terry, another quick question... What's the biggest in length of that era called? And how big? Would really like a 27-30+
Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

My '64 safari is 91" at it's widest point, not including any protruding appendages. I believe they were all that wide from the safari 64Safari on up to the sovereign 64Sovereign

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Call or Email the Airstream factory. We were on the factory tour on friday and they had an "over seas" model that is built narrower than the U.S. versions. Just so it WILL fit into a shipping container. I bet they can tell you all about it. I think they called it a "Euro" at least that was written all over it with a wax pencil.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinterjj View Post
Thanks so much Terry, another quick question... What's the biggest in length of that era called? And how big? Would really like a 27-30+
They made custom models up to 39' long, but they were built as commercial units, and it's unlikely you'd find one for sale. The models, lengths and widths are as follows for the 1960's era trailers you're likely to encounter:
Bambi-16' long, 84" wide
Caravel- 17' long, 84" wide
Globetrotter- 20' long, 90" wide
Safari- 22' long, 90" wide
Tradewind- 24' long, 90" wide
Overlander- 26' long, 90" wide
Ambassador- 28' long, 90" wide
Sovereign (also known as Sovereign of the Road)-30' long, 90" wide

While all the widths are within an inch, Airstream was known to fudge slightly on the lengths. Our Overlander was officially 26' long, but was nearly 27'.
The lengths won't matter so much, as they either will or won't fit into a 20' container by a significant amount. We have had to remove roof air conditioners, awnings, and even tires and wheels to get them to fit into a standard container. But they did fit.