Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Munkerup , DK
Height of an Airstream ?

I am looking to get an Airstream and ship it to Denmark .. need to know the hight on and Ambassador 29′ with out AC on top and no tires, to get it to be as low as possible .. anyone know this ?

It would be most helpful info

Best

Casper
Oddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Casper Christensen?!? HUGE fan!
onemanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I can't give and exact number. Most Airstreams are around 9'7" (2.93m). The A/C unit is 8-10" high, and removing the wheels and just sitting on the brake drums will save about 4". That leaves you at approximately 8.5' (2.59m). You may find the Airstream.com website helpful. select the service tab and drill down from there. They have specifications by year and model for some Airsteams.

Good luck
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If the purpose of the question is to figure out whether you can fit an Airstream into a sea cargo container, then the answer is a no.

I looked into this some years ago, when living in the UK. However, there are many RORO services available that will ship your Airstream with no problem.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The width would be an issue on the narrow roads in Europe. So make sure the selected unit's width falls within the maximum width which is probably closer to 7' than 8'.

You could call the factory and ask them the current width they are using for European units.

Also note that electric brakes and weight distribution hitches are not legal over there in order to preclude US manufactures sinking the companies over there that make really expensively priced but extremely cheaply built units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The width would be an issue on the narrow roads in Europe. So make sure the selected unit's width falls within the maximum width which is probably closer to 7' than 8'.

You could call the factory and ask them the current width they are using for European units.

Also note that electric brakes and weight distribution hitches are not legal over there in order to preclude US manufactures sinking the companies over there that make really expensively priced but extremely cheaply built units.
I do seem to remember that there's a max width for trailers in the UK, not sure about Denmark, that was somewhat narrower than max width for our trailers here. Can't remember exactly, but I also think that there was a "classic vehicle" exemption. It's a long time since I thought about importing a classic MOHO to the UK.

Hitches will indeed be the biggest hurdle. You'll be restricted to smaller trailers that can be towed without wight distribution. I didn't know electric brakes were also illegal. I know the Germans use something called an "Auflaufbremse", that activates when a sensor feels the trailer move towards the tow vehicle.

The other issues you'll run into are dumping and power. I remember that standard ampage in the campgrounds we stayed in was a measly 3. And European campgrounds I stayed in were only prepared for the dumping of cassette style toilets. A composting toilet might be the way to go.

European units, I have to say that I much prefer the modern styling of European interiors. Most North American trailers, AS not so much but SOBs certainly, look like my grandmother's living room.

Roads, I would not worry too much about. Even the smaller road are wide enough for farm vehicles and delivery traffic. An Airstream should do fine most places.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sport

Not 100% sure I'm not having a Senior Moment - but weren't the "Sport" models designed for the European market. Though they've turned out to be popular in the USA too.

7feet 6 inches wide
Galvanized Frame - bolted together

For export I think they even have surge brakes and perhaps 220 volt electric hookups?

Sorry in a rush, no time to check Airstream's website.

Paula
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
These guys here sell European model Airstreams: Airstream Germany - Exlusive Airstream Distributor in Germany - Airstream Germany

Check out the interiors. I am envious.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Andy,
Watching the videos on the website that you've linked should give Casper some clues as to organizations that he could contact to get some more information. As the first video completes, it leads to another Airstream video and then I presume to yet others.

Casper,
I highly recommend that you continue your quest and I'm sure that you'll be able to find an Airstream that can be delivered to you and will fit your needs. Enjoy the search and look at this phase as the beginning of a great adventure!

All my best,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Come on now... Casper from Denmark!?! I can't be the only one wondering if he's the Casper Christensen... Come on "Klovn" fans! If you don't know what I'm referring to you are missing out!
onemanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Munkerup , DK
I have deen working on it and found that a open top container is the way to go !! but still thanks for you response ... best C
Oddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Open top container? How is it going to be shipped, by boat I assume, so now you should consider the issue of salinity and aluminum. Will the open container be sufficient to protect the aluminum from the salt water/spray environment of shipping your Airstream? Will it be shipped below deck, that might help? Just a thought.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
An open top container isn't open at the top

It comes with a canvas top or tarpaulin top over a "roof" structure. Still, by the nature of these containers they aren't a waterproof as a cargo container and they are typically carried on deck where they can be exposed to spray.

Personally I'd go RORO.