Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Texas State Trailer Inspections

Today I called 3 trailer dealerships in TX. just to clarify a point on state trailer inspections as I am getting ready for a trip to Canada.. Got 3 different answers so I'm still looking for the correct answer.
I'll ask the experts now. (This forum)

I bought this trailer in 1987 in Houston and it has never had a Tx state inspection sticker on it, even from the selling dealership. At the time, they said that it was too light by TX law to require the state inspection.

My trailer has a gvrw of 5800#.

Does it need an inspection sticker according to the TX state law in 2009?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, but no one, not even a DPS Officer will ever look for it. If you bring a trailer into Texas and have it titled and licensed here, you will have to get it inspected, but it's more for VIN certification than safety.

They don't even look for the inspection or ask for it going into Canada.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Not sure whether you can buy your original (first set) of Texas tags and title transfer documentation without it I think you cannot.
Also not sure if it is asked for at renewal time. But I think it is not required then.

It is pretty comprehensive and not a whole lot of places even do it. Brakes and gas system (LP) among other things are checked I believe.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had mine inspected when I titled it and licensed it (bought it out of state), and the one before it. They inspect the VIN to insure it matches the out of state title, and they check the lights....nothing more. You can get it inspected anywhere they do safety inspections for motor vehicles.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
If the gvwr exceeds 4500lbs then yes it does,

Texas Department of Public Safety - What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

my bambi's gvwr is 4500 so it does not. If it was 4501 then it would.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
We purchased our Airstream in Texas from a private owner. We have inspection tags Don't think anyone in Michigan will look at them but us.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello ... Trailers do not have inspection stickers here . Do not worry about coming to Canada
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
I bought a cargo trailer from out of state. When I went to the Texas DMV to inquire about title and registration, they told me the following:

If the "weight" (empty + estimated cargo) is expected to be over 4500# then I will need to get it inspected before it can be tagged. The registration fee will also be based on this weight. They stressed that this is not the GVWR. I will have to get it weigh and show proof.

I going to get it weigh and inspected tomorrow.
Xstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
My Aunt works with the licensing office here. She told my the "RV" trailers do not need nor can get inspection stickers. As far as the requirements, all I've done is take in the title, and it's done. No weighing, etc. I have three and never had any inspected (One over 4500).
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Texas Department of Public Safety - What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
At my county tax assessor/collector's office, they require an inspection on all trailers over 4500#. There is no sticker, but they require it in order to register it.

Additionally , if you buy in-state and the title already has the weight on it, then you won't need to get it weighed. Or, if you buy from another state that puts the weight on the title, you will not need to get it weighed.

However, if you buy the trailer from a state that does not have the weight on the title, then the tax collector will probably require you to get the vehicle weighed at an official scale, and then supply that information at the time of titling and registration. That is where I am right now.

So, does anyone know of a certified scale in the Austin area?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
we bought ours in Atlanta and brought it back to Houston. I had to get a weight certification (I went to a truck stop up the road) and had to get it inspected before I could get a TX title.

I renew it every year, but its just a 'drive-by' inspection for lights.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
At my county tax assessor/collector's office, they require an inspection on all trailers over 4500#. There is no sticker, but they require it in order to register it.

Additionally , if you buy in-state and the title already has the weight on it, then you won't need to get it weighed. Or, if you buy from another state that puts the weight on the title, you will not need to get it weighed.

However, if you buy the trailer from a state that does not have the weight on the title, then the tax collector will probably require you to get the vehicle weighed at an official scale, and then supply that information at the time of titling and registration. That is where I am right now.

So, does anyone know of a certified scale in the Austin area?
Texas Truck Scales and Weigh Stations for Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies at Truckstops
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
There is some confussion here, and the reason is the word inspections. There is a title inspection for titled vehicles coming from out of state, that is a onetime inspection just for the title and registration, the other is a safety inspection, that is required every year for trailers over 4500#. And DPS L@W units will hit you for an out of date saftey sticker, because every sticker purchased has one dollar going to the DPS retirement fund.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c177tx View Post
There is some confussion here, and the reason is the word inspections. There is a title inspection for titled vehicles coming from out of state, that is a onetime inspection just for the title and registration, the other is a safety inspection, that is required every year for trailers over 4500#. And DPS L@W units will hit you for an out of date saftey sticker, because every sticker purchased has one dollar going to the DPS retirement fund.

Your right there is some confusion. I guess I should have been more specific. I meant a safety inspection. The yearly kind.
When I went to the web site that was posted by a couple of people above and it (at least to me) does not say if this is the yearly saftey requirement or an original safety title type inspection. Now that I know that there are 2 diferent ones I am still unsure.
But to be on the safe side I'll just get it inspected before my next trip. They say it's only $14 so it must not be a big deal. I doubt if they even take the wheels off to check the brakes. At least I do that yearly myself anyway.
The ticket for no sticker is probably more than $14.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I've been told by the dealer that a yearly safety inspection is required so to stay on the safe side I have mine done every year at Roger Williams in Weatherford, TX. It's cheap and they can do it while you wait.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
We just bought a new trailer from out of state. This past Monday went and paid the taxes and paid for title and plates on it. The lady behind the desk wanted the weight of the trailer, luckly it was on the title from the state We purchased from, this is how they set the fee for the plates.
I have no clue about the inspection stickers for travel trailers.
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Texas inspections..

The way I see it is as another way to give the government our money. I bought my Safari in Florida new, brought it to Houston and titled it. Never have I been asked, stopped or been tried to sell me a trailer inspection.

We have guys around here that are doing good to have wheels on roofing trailers (no lights), and they want my 50k trailer to have an inspection!! Bahh.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Just got back from the TX DMV with new tag and title after submitting weight ticket ($5) and proof of inspection ($14). They sent me back out to get a "green sheet" (out of state VIN verification $1). Wish I had known about this "green sheet" before making multiple trips.
Xstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I went to the local RV dealer in town, to see if he could do the inspection for me (We have our Sovereign titled in Maryland). He told me to go to the local oil change place, which does their inspections. He also told me not to forget to ask for a green sheet. Didn't know what the heck it was, but I asked for it and the inspector gave it to me.

The biggest hassle I had was with the DMV lady. She kept arguing with me that she couldn't register the Sovereign, because the VIN started with an "I", and her system wouldn't accept it. When I showed her the MD title with a "1", she then told me that the VIN didn't match the coach. I really felt like strangling her, until her supervisor came to the rescue and told her that most states substitute a "1" for "I", especially with older Airstreams. I guess she'd seen this before.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote