Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Tax info on upgrading Airstream

Hey all,

I've read here on the forums that quite a few members have bought what they thought was the Airstream of their dreams, only to find that perhaps it wasn't the best size... and so they upgrade/change units.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a 28' from my 25', and would import from the US to Canada.

I have to pay another whack of taxes on purchase price of the new (used) trailer, which amounts to a beautiful 13%.

It's making me pause and think. I'm severely irritated by having to dole out all that money again to the government, but then I wonder at all the forum members who seem to effortlessly do their trades.

Where you live, is it easier on your wallets when licensing the new trailer? Or does everyone have to bite the bullet and pay taxes on the full purchase price the 2nd time around? Or am I being cheap...?

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Probably no better here

In California you get wacked for sales tax, determined by county residence, on the purchase price each time with no deduction in tax for your trade in value. And our registration fees are annual and higher than just about other state. Here in Orange County, sales tax is 7.75% and our registration is about $330 per year.

time
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
In Los Angeles County we get to pay %8.25 in taxes.

We just bite the bullet while sniveling and whimpering.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Hey all,

I've read here on the forums that quite a few members have bought what they thought was the Airstream of their dreams, only to find that perhaps it wasn't the best size... and so they upgrade/change units.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a 28' from my 25', and would import from the US to Canada.

I have to pay another whack of taxes on purchase price of the new (used) trailer, which amounts to a beautiful 13%.

It's making me pause and think. I'm severely irritated by having to dole out all that money again to the government, but then I wonder at all the forum members who seem to effortlessly do their trades.

Where you live, is it easier on your wallets when licensing the new trailer? Or does everyone have to bite the bullet and pay taxes on the full purchase price the 2nd time around? Or am I being cheap...?

Cheers!
Montana has one time tags which mens one time taxes. It was around $400 for my then new Classic 31. Thats it! I would not buy from the dealer here.
I bought mine out of state and since I am a resident registered here. There are many people who register thier RVs here due to the tax structure even though they don't live here.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Finally the answer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Montana has one time tags which mens one time taxes.
WOW now it all comes together, I was wondering all these years why Frank Zappa wrote the song

"Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon,
Just me and the pygme pony, and we're moving to Montana"

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Whoever buys your previous Airstream will also pay sales tax when they transfer the title. What the gummint wants, the gummint gets...

In used vehicle transactions I have seen a PO put a lower-than-amount-paid number on the value line for the title transfer. "But that would be wrong." - former American politician name not supplied due to forum policy...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Saving the Tax

There is one way to save the tax, and that is to trade in your unit in Canada. You only pay taxes on the difference between your trade in value and the cost of the new unit.

I know you said you were looking to buy in the US again, but it may be worth your while to do some number crunching and see what would save you the most. I assume you also have to pay the US state tax as well, so you are actually paying 3 taxes (US State, ON Provincial Tax and GST!)

Let us know what you decide, as we are in the same boat (trailer?) looking to upgrade from 25 to 28.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
In used vehicle transactions I have seen a PO put a lower-than-amount-paid number on the value line for the title transfer. "But that would be wrong." - former American politician name not supplied due to forum policy...
Well, here in the great state of Connecticut the DMV does not care what the Bill of Sale says. Everything is taxed by blue book value. Even if you paid $100 for a junker if the book says $1K that's what you pay the tax on. Currently at 6% which isn't so bad. Registration for the two Airstreams is $65.00 for two years each.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Missouri also recognizes the sale or trade in of your original trailer so you only pay tax on the net. When I traded my Safari the trade in value was netted from the cost of the Classic thus lowering the amount of sales tax paid. It works the same way if you sell your trailer prior to registering the new one. You just bring in the bill of sale for the old trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca
There is one way to save the tax, and that is to trade in your unit in Canada. You only pay taxes on the difference between your trade in value and the cost of the new unit.

I know you said you were looking to buy in the US again, but it may be worth your while to do some number crunching and see what would save you the most.
Interesting observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca
I assume you also have to pay the US state tax as well.....
A private party wouldn't impose a state's sales tax. This is usually paid by the new owner when they title & license a vehicle. A dealer just would have you certify that you are transporting the unit out of state and you would be waived from paying that state's sales tax.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Smile

No sale tax here in Oregon, registration is less than $100 for two years.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Are you purchasing a newer or older model? I think we pay $20 to register/tag our 1976 24' Argosy in Georgia each year. Maybe less.

It would be much more if newer.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T
Are you purchasing a newer or older model? I think we pay $20 to register/tag our 1976 24' Argosy in Georgia each year. Maybe less.

It would be much more if newer.
Holy #$%$. $20 to tag a used trailer????

Doesn't matter if it's used or new, we've got to pay the feds 5% (used to be 7% until not that long ago), and then the province wants 8%.

That, for me, amounts to several thousand dollars. Plus an extra $20 for the actual license plate and permit.

Makes me wonder why anyone would choose to live in Canada. We're accustomed to this, but what with gas prices higher than down south, and astronomically higer fees (though California's not so cheap) for registering a trailer, it's crazy.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
In Los Angeles County we get to pay %8.25 in taxes.

We just bite the bullet while sniveling and whimpering.
Hi, we live in Los Angeles County and paid 0% sales tax on our beautiful Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
In California you get wacked for sales tax, determined by county residence, on the purchase price each time with no deduction in tax for your trade in value. And our registration fees are annual and higher than just about other state. Here in Orange County, sales tax is 7.75% and our registration is about $330 per year.

time
time, I agree with your assessment of our license fee but talk to some of the folks in NV. They have to pay a personal property tax every year on their trailers on top of the license fee, the sum total is far greater than what we pay here in California!

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
6% Sales tax in michigan. I think you pay only the difference when trading in. Neat program for plates and registration. One time fee, perm trailer plate and mine was around 200.00. Trucking companies love it This can be a huge issue when comparing to motor homes. I have heard annual license registration charges as high as 6-700.00 for a m/h, and that adds up over the years.

I know Canada is a more socially responsible country, and thus the taxes. Your average homeless person living under the bridge has better health care coverage than most of us on this forum here in the great United States. And not having to fight the insurance company for every service and pre existing condition is priceless. I work in Canada, and from what I can see your rates as an independent business person like me are almost double. I have had a lot Crown Royal in a bar discussing this issue with associates, and in the end comparing income to income, expenses to expenses, operating in your country is a double tax over us. We offer huge incentives to company owners to develop and employ. Still, we have lots of people really hurting. No one in Canada has lost a home because of medical bills. So here it is every one for themselves, for me it works great, for others and many other, the system stinks.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Here in So.Nevada we pay 7.75%. If your purchase price is less than what DMV books value it at you pay tax on their amount.????????
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
In some states e.g. Indiana, non residents are exempt from sales tax, so you'd just have the 5% GST and 8% PST when you import to Canada. Plus a few other fees here and there! The inspection at Canadian Tire, the imported vehicle fee (about $200 which you pay at customs), etc.

I found that airstreams were a lot more expensive in Canada unless you can find one for private sale (but you have to beat the dealers to it). Even with the sales taxes, it is still significantly cheaper to buy an airstream in the US and import to Canada. Especially now with the Canadian dollar so high. I would do it again.

I might not be remembering this properly but I think it is much less complicated to import a used trailer than a new trailer? I imported a used trailer and found it pretty hassle free.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, we live in Los Angeles County and paid 0% sales tax on our beautiful Airstream.
Hi, is everyone sleeping? I said that I live in Los Angeles County and did not pay any sales tax for my, new at the time, Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #20
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Ok, I'll bite, why no sales tax? Here in the great state of Oregon we have no sales tax yea!!!!!!We also don't have to pump gas in the rain, which we have a lot of. Rain that is.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote