Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Ours died after about 7 months of steady use. They sent us a new one, but in the meantime we had to buy a cheap unit because it was cold! Was so glad when I had the Dyson again.

So what is it about the Dyson's fan that makes it so much better? Otherwise, 1500 watts is 1500 watts.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
So if BTU is a direct relation with the KW used, what makes space heaters perform any different? Size matters? The A9 is beautiful but I found that a) the large size makes hard to store without bumping around and b) at least in my case the temperature setting in the digital display does not work as intended, the unit cycles off before reaching that setting. Maybe mine is faulty?
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
So what is it about the Dyson's fan that makes it so much better? Otherwise, 1500 watts is 1500 watts.
It is the way they move the air with their "air multiplier". As best I can discern and describe, it mixes cool room air with the hot air coming out of the small perimeter openings and moves it at a high velocity around the room. My observations is that is doesn't make the area around the heater hot, while the rest of the AS is cold, when it shuts off. It mixes the whole 30' AS air well...somehow without making me feel a cold breeze. I put it at the door of the Bedroom and point it forward during waking hours and put it in the living room, pointed rearward, during sleep hours. In short, it is how it moves the 1500 watts that works.

BTW, my thermostat works fine and is within 1* of the rest of the room.

Also, storage is no issue, if you have the rear Queen with wardrobes at the sides. There is a sort of triangular area of wasted space in these wardrobes at their rear. Dyson hot/cold fits perfectly in one of these. Mine is a D5. Other side holds a large fire extinguisher.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Space heaters and vacuums. Everybody loves Dyson, but...

Thanks dznf0g. Have you ever tried a Vornado? While less expensive, they claim to heat the air differently than basic heaters. I wonder how its air circulation might compare to the Dyson.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks dznf0g. Have you ever tried a Vornado? While less expensive, they claim to heat the air differently than basic heaters. I wonder how its air circulation might compare to the Dyson.
I haven't. I went straight from a 1500 watt ceramic, with just a small muffin fan, to the Dyson. I still keep the ceramic one under the couch, but rarely use it. I have heard that many like the Vornado.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I won't claim it's better because that's a dead end in this forum, it just works very well at keeping even temperature throughout our Airstream. The air is brought into the Dyson at the bottom, where the temperature of that inlet air is measured passing through. It is then mixed or multiplied with ambient air by a large air inlet at the rear opening of the heater. The temperature regulation is very, very good.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Dyson is worth the premium.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I kept they Dyson space heater, but for my home. It is too big for my FC27FB. I got a Vornado as I read very good reviews on this Forum, and I love it.

Being in subfreezing temperatures almost daily, my setup is two space heaters with thermostats at 80F, one in 750 W and the other in high (1.5KW) plus the furnace setting at 50F.

The goal is to minimize propane consumption while protecting the tanks and pipes from freezing.

We also keep city water dripping on the head's sink, to get water flowing. Heated hose to city water and 2 heat lamps under the tanks with an improvised 'skirt', wood boards around the tanks and dump valves, keeping most of the heat from the lamps where needed.

A Dlink wireless camera points to a dual thermostat showing temperature in and outside the rig (placed outside sensor over the propanes), and a second digital instrument shows humidity. A Nest Protect smoke detector, also wirelessly connected to our Verizon Jetpack,lets me know remotely that everything is fine (will send me an alert if trouble). Rig is fully operational with all the comforts of home.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote