Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Smile Passenger individual weight limit for an AirStream 2019 27FB Globetrotter

Hi, I've tried searching everywhere and can't find the answer. I'm hoping someone has had an experience that they can share, or got the answer from someone else.

My brother-in-law is almost 500lbs. Say he fits through the door, can the steps, floor, bed, seats accommodate his weight, or should I consider having some of those things modified / Strengthened ???

I am talking about a single Passenger (individual) weight limit.
My rig: AirStream 2019 27FB Globetrotter - just bought it and have not received it yet.

Thanks for the help. Cheers, Olivier
Olivieraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My only thought would be that the dinette cushions will reflect that weight over time. Not unusual since I really need to get new foam placed in my dinette cushions since over time they show signs of the foam not retaining their shape. In your case they will show the effects of that weight. Now if the person just drops down on the bed or cushions, you may see an an immediate effect in the support structure.

You might give a call to Airstream and they might be able to give you some further information regarding the weight that their beds and seating are engineered to carry.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
No way the steps would accommodate him, I think. Reinforce, or use portable step(s).

We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
No way the steps would accommodate him, I think. Reinforce, or use portable step(s).
I'm thinking the same thing, hence why I'm asking everyone's opinion. I'd think 300-320lbs max for those skimpy stairs.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Bare with me, the last thing i want is to come off like a jerk. “IF” he fits through the door. I highly doubt he will fit in the bathroom, or be able to sleep comfortably. Just moving around with someone else inside will require a lot of effort. He definitely won’t fit at the dinette. Before investing in modifications, I would really talk with him about it.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Although we are not in that weight range, we always carry an old railroad aluminum boarding step with us - invaluable for many things.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Bare with me, the last thing i want is to come off like a jerk. IF he fits through the door. I highly doubt he will fit in the bathroom, or be able to sleep comfortably. Just moving around with someone else inside will require a lot of effort. He definitely wont fit at the dinette. Before investing in modifications, I would really talk with him about it.
You have a point
Old 04-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Although we are not in that weight range, we always carry an old railroad aluminum boarding step with us - invaluable for many things.
Brilliant !
Old 04-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
My uncle's second wife had that problem, and a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher couldn't handle her... really.
Aside from load issues, there's getting around inside and ur AS is much smaller than the HR.
I've seen it firsthand. The logistics are daunting at best even with reinforcement.
Ur gonna need a plan B
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
My husband is 6'5" and probably pushing 300lbs, he loves the GT because he fits better than he's ever fit in any other trailer we have owned.

He can sit on the cushions of the table IF he can have an entire bench and hasn't squashed the cushions anymore than for anyone else. However, since the table doesn't more he isn't overly comfortable. We added a small but hefty stool so he can sit at one end and adjust the width between himself and the table.

He fits in the twin beds but found the mattress overhang dreadfully uncomfortable as he uses the entire width so we replaced the original base with one that is fully as wide as the mattress.

He doesn't fit on either other bed option. They are both too short and too narrow (he comes with a 7' wingspan...no place for all those arms and the size 13 feet!). Luckily we have some short friends who do fit!

Bathroom and the shower are both problematic. He can use the bathroom, but only if absolutely necessary. Standing he is fine, but sitting....those size 13 feet have nowhere to go but out in the hallway! He also couldn't use the mirror as it pointed toward his belly more or less, his head wasn't' visible. And showering? He can't really stand in the shower and have any room for his arms or the shower head or anything else, so he goes outside with a jumbo portable shower tent or wanders over to whatever the campground has to offer.

The only other thing to remember is the many campground picnic tables don't work either. They have a set space for you and you must be able to climb over the bench as well. Some he can do, others don't give enough room (big feet, long legs, belly). We invested in an extra big director's chair that he fits in, that holds his weight and that is comfortable and he uses one end of the table.

We come from a very large family (we are talking height and weight here) and our bigger members all can fit in the Airstream, use the twin beds and toddle off to the campground bathroom when nature calls.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Engineering wise, I doubt if anything in the trailer is built to survive a 500 lb person. I see no reason why a person that size would even want to enter a Airstream trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Clifton , Virginia
Reminds of a special I watched on Shaquille O’Neal. He is a very large man and nothing standard fits him. Granted he’s got the money to customize everything, and everything was customized to fit his large frame.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
This race ramp step will work. 1,500 lb rated
Not cheap but great quality and light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	698553E9-0C2B-4D1B-B0EE-BEE0FFB656D5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	393363   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D412C18-7AB7-4168-A1AC-CDE207925F18.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	393364  

69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Engineering wise, I doubt if anything in the trailer is built to survive a 500 lb person. I see no reason why a person that size would even want to enter a Airstream trailer.
I totally agree with the above. Someone that morbidly obese is not going to fit in the bathroom or shower and highly unlikely to be able to sit down comfortably.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not as large as he is, but I would never be described as "skinny". We spent a lot of time sorting through AS layouts to find anything that "would fit". This *is* a 2 dimensional problem. I'm 6'4" and that brings it's own set of issues. If he's over 7', that would also bring some issue. If he's under 6' tall, yet another bunch of problems.

I would not trust the steps long term for anything much over 300 pounds. I do not carry heavy things up the steps for that very reason.

I doubt the seats would be damaged by this or that weight. Fitting in the skimpy spaces allowed between things like the dinette and seats, forget about it. It's only going to happen with one of the setups that allow the table to slide entirely into the opposite seating area. ( = you loose half or more of the seating).

Bedding wise, if there are two of you already in the "main" beds, there's not a lot of "adult sized" sleeping space in most layouts. I would describe most of it as "small adult" compatible / comfortable. ( so < 6' tall and under 200 pounds ). There are a few exceptions to that rule, but not a lot of them.

Even at my size, there are bathroom layouts that simply are not practical. I very much doubt that he's going to get much use out of the setup in your trailer.

Alternatives:

Cot and tent. You can get "big boy" cots / inflatable beds. Having your own "space" is a nice thing. Eat outdoors. Most of your time should be "out and about" rather than hanging around the campground.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthForkAS View Post
My uncle's second wife had that problem, and a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher couldn't handle her... really.
Aside from load issues, there's getting around inside and ur AS is much smaller than the HR.
I've seen it firsthand. The logistics are daunting at best even with reinforcement.
Ur gonna need a plan B
I was afraid of that ! Thx.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'm not as large as he is, but I would never be described as "skinny". We spent a lot of time sorting through AS layouts to find anything that "would fit". This *is* a 2 dimensional problem. I'm 6'4" and that brings it's own set of issues. If he's over 7', that would also bring some issue. If he's under 6' tall, yet another bunch of problems.

I would not trust the steps long term for anything much over 300 pounds. I do not carry heavy things up the steps for that very reason.

Even at my size, there are bathroom layouts that simply are not practical. I very much doubt that he's going to get much use out of the setup in your trailer.

Alternatives:

Cot and tent. You can get "big boy" cots / inflatable beds. Having your own "space" is a nice thing. Eat outdoors. Most of your time should be "out and about" rather than hanging around the campground.

Bob
He is on the taller side, about 6'2'', so he is (say) less large at that same weight than a 5'X" person would probably be.

I'm understanding that I may need a plan B indeed.