Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
New to 'Streamers in the UK

Hi one and all, Mary & Chuck here, in Dorset, UK. I am not sure if I have done this correctly - new to all this - but here goes

We are about to join the ‘Streamers! Well when it gets here that is. I have just bought a 1983 310 MH; and when the final instalment arrives with the vendor its then all systems go!– to the ship – Hurricanes permitting…

I think I am going to be fortunate with the 310 as it looks very good on photo and the chap selling it appears very genuine, so hopefully not too many repairs! We were hoping to “do” a new years rally with it, but that going to be a bit of a rush, so the old VanRoyce will have to struggle on a bit longer.

I am a little disappointed though with what little information on Airstream MH’s is out there on the web. I am having difficulty in finding out basics like models, production figures, dimensions, layouts, technical data, hints and tips to name a few. But I did find the GM P-30 Chassis Service Manual – on a GMC MH site, very useful (330 odd pages of it to print out!)

My intentions are to keep all the Airstream 120VAC (I Assume that is the correct USA voltage - you hear of 110 - 115 - even 123VAC over here); although 230VAC will be added with a ring main for some domestics or entertainment TV etc. Our camping for the past 40 odd years has been a mixture of motor homes and trailer caravans and is by choice very basic. We use many non-electric sites, particularly in summer in the UK – AC not wanted here! The use of 120VAC makes sense when using inverters. Logic dictates that there is more capacity to boost from 12vdc to 120VAC than would be available if boosting up to European 230VAC. I am going to fit a transformer for the 230 to 120 any way although we have still yet to find a company that will incorporate the 50-60HZ conversion, at a sensible price as well in it. I gather Microwave Ovens die after running at the wrong frequency after a while, hence the need.

The Solar Panel array will also be a priority, as I hate generators, with a passion, noisy and smelly things! so roll on self sufficiency, eh! Chaps?

I have also toyed with the idea of the secondary overdrive gearbox modification, any one done that? A gas (LPG) conversion is also on the cards, but I would like to hear of any engine transplants, like using the Range Rover 4.2 litre engine and ZF22 auto box. All this because our “beloved government” takes more than its fair share on fuel! (Sorry wont go there).

As soon as she arrives I will post up some photos, and expand on the modifications and customisations as I progress (or not!).
Chuck
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Yorkshire Airstreamers

1979 23' Safari
1968 22' Safari
near Bridlington , East Yorkshire
Smile

Hi Mary and Chuck

Welcome to our world... we have an airstream trailer up here in Yorkshire and hopefully another on the way from the States.
Best of luck!
Jane and Stu
UK-Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Thank you Jane & Stu.... hey-hey! it works!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Mary and Chuck,

welcome to the world of airstreaming in europe... Hope to see you on the roads one day!!

Post pics when you get your baby...

Bjoern and Stefanie

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
amberieu en bugey France , france
Send a message via MSN to frederic.c01
welcome

hi
welcome on board.
with pleasure of a meeting on the roads of Europe.
good luck for your project
fred

https://airstream.blog.expedia.fr/
frederic.c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Hi

I'm Sharon in Rutland. I purchased mollie who is a 19ft 1962 Ohio Globetrotter at the beginning of this month

I would be really interested to chat to anyone with a similar trailer or anyone restoring or doing a refurb.

Looking forward to making contact and chatting to others in the uk and mainland europe

Catch ya later
Sharon
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Its here at last.... see my comments under shipping.
not too sure how all this 'thread' lark works!
Chuck