Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Torpoint , Cornwall, UK
Making my Airstream road legal for the UK

Good Morning all,

I am awaiting on the delivery of my 1971 Airstream Sovereign at the end of this month, with the intention of turning the trailer into a family get away.

I will be looking to tow the trailer around the UK and Europe, but have not been able to find much information on people changing the tow and hitch fittings to comply with UK regulations.

Is there anyone within this forum who has achieved this and able to assist me in finding the right information and enjoy this wonderful creation here in Europe and the UK.

Very many thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,

Kev

kevingwynlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
There is a huge body of experience in doing this Kev

Contact the WBCCI Europe and especially Marc Harris who converts several trailers each year.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Kev

We wanted to welcome you to the forums and wish you good fortune as you make the modifications needed to tow in the UK. We've seen quite a few Airstreams on the road in the UK on our visits, but nothing as large as a Sovereign. It will certainly gather some attention.

Enjoy,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
We saw a new export European version airstream on our factory tour. Couldn't figure out what was different at first.
It was a Bambi, but it was also narrower than the other new ones. The rear lights were also different. I believe overseas they require yellow turn signals.
Your 1971 (ours is a 1970), is going to be a big rig over there! Send photos of your updates and what you find out!
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Bury St Edmunds , Suffolk
Your best route is to find UKAirstreamers on FB. Marc & many others will be glad to help. You will have TV & drivers licence issues to address as well as everything else. With a 30ft trailer, your TV must have a gross weight rating of >3501kg. This requires an advanced driver licence to cover the TV and the towing.
VincentA is offline   Reply With Quote