Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
JUST A NOTE:

I think that what is the interest in the EURO Airstream is the size, the interior upgrades, and the over all feel that is (not to mis quote) lacking in the standard American Airstreams....
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Meh. Those aren't aluminum.
so true, but given the current skin used, which is thinner and looks odd, is more brittle, 'taped' to the ribs...,

and the clearcoat and filiform C issues, and total lack of user fixes that can make the skin LOOK like aluminum...

some of the other cladding options start looking pretty good...

what i want is a bare nekked titanium skin on a 'stream...

think of it as the new world order of silver/gray...

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
so true, but given the current skin used, which is thinner and looks odd, is more brittle, 'taped' to the ribs...,

and the clearcoat and filiform C issues, and total lack of user fixes that can make the skin LOOK like aluminum...

some of the other cladding options start looking pretty good...

what i want is a bare nekked titanium skin on a 'stream...

think of it as the new world order of silver/gray...

cheer
2air'
Alright, I can go there with you. That would be flat-out cool.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
they are doing this, and it is called the safari sport (now just safari) and so far has sold POORLY...
I believe you meant it's now just called "Sport."

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...not-42672.html

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
If you are realy interested in a euro airstream to the USA.
First come over here and hire a trailer and a TV.
So you experiance towing with surge brakes and a real low tonque weight.
I'm happy with the electrick brakes and the 800 pount tonque weight.
We still need to learn a lot overhere I find the US system a lot saver and easyer to tow.
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
I actually DID purchase the Safari Sport and Love it. Its lightweight and looks as good as any of the Regular Airstreams out there and certainly gets loads of attention wherever I go camping.I think what I really like about the European models are that the smaller trailers still have large double beds , a great bathroom layout with AWESOME shower enclosures that are easier to access and great fittings throughout. Do yourselves all a favour and go take a look at the European Airstream site and see what I'm talking about. I'm a young Airstreamer, living the Californian and LA lifestyle , but also a Foreign born (South African) citizen who grew up 'caravanning" as we call it in SA and in other parts of the world. I think in the US we have a different idea about "camping".Here its about having all the luxuries with you no matter where you are, whereas overseas, the whole camping experience is a lot more rustic and rudementary therefore the need for huge trailers/caravans just really does not exist. Take that into account as well as the fact that the roads are a lot smaller/narrow, and cars are a lot smaller too than the huge tracks and SUV's we (myself included) drive.
A few other posters have mentioned the whole 'green' side of things too and I feel that most of us treasure the environment more so that the regular guy in the street who does not go camping and therefore we should be more conscious of petroleum/gasoline consumption and opt for ANY options that are more friendly to our environment. I hope Airstream is taking note of this posting and realising that there are MANY of us here who want more energy efficient legendary trailers that retain all that which makes Airstream unique, yet sets the trend when it comes to Stylish interiors, lightweight (not flimsy) construction and energy efficient systems.
I for one would buy Such and Airstream in a Heartbeat...hence the fact that I bought the Safari Sport shortly after it was released and have had no regrets yet (apart from the corrosion issue I mentioned in another post). I really do appreciate all the input here and the contributions from the Airstream guy as well.
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I would be rather interested in a lighter AS here. While I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow a stouter tow vehicle than my wife's Honda Odyssey, it bugs me that there really isn't a product in AS's line that can be towed "wet" within its weight limitations. (Keep in mind, this is a 4400 lb, 240hp, stability control equipped tow vehicle - not exactly a shrinking violet. Same with the glut of Nissan Muranos, older Toyota Highlanders, etc out there.)

After shopping and reading the forum and others for about four months, I'm pretty much down to two choices: an Argosy Minuet or a T@B teardrop. Making the decision between vintage (roomy, but lots of things to update or replace, floor rot?) and new T@B (cute, easy to deal with, but much smaller inside and no bathroom) or T@DA is something I've been wrestling with.

While I understand that European ASs have different technologies, that Argosy Minuet had common-to-the-US stuff and weighed under 2500 lbs. From what I can gather, they sold pretty well in the late-70s. I'm not sure why something like that couldn't be built today. It's not like trailers need all of the airbags/crumple zones/increased structure and sound deadening that has made cars progressively heavier.

I can't quite put a finger on it, but the current Safari Sport 17' just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's the non-CCD interior, or the lack of front wrap windows (which I see they've added), or the monolithic-ness of the bathroom wall across the back of a small trailer. To each their own, of course.

The way I see it, the RV market demands lots of different solutions to different needs and (let's face it) wants. The market for a very light yet upscale trailer seems to be unfilled. (I've looked at Casitas and Aliners, and they don't have the same appeal.)
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Banff , Scotland
A friend has just taken delivery of a European spec Airstream - beautiful machine. The furniture is even better looking that on the web (he has the twin bed version) - much lighter inside than any we have seen in the US. We have always loved the outside of Airstreams but not the inside - now we can have the best of both worlds. They really are very well built and designed and boy oh boy do they look good inside and out. Certainly has persuaded us to look at purchasing one. Biggest problem is that there is quite a waiting list for them (especially the one we want the 534, 22 ft version) and the price, our friend paid about UK Sterling 54,000 for his, the 534 works out at about UK Sterling 42,000 (think that is roughly US dollar 64,500 - don't know how that compares with US prices.
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Washington, DC , Washington, D.C.
In addition to what has been mentioned here, it appears that the German Airstreams are fitted with more accurate, easier to read, and better looking energy and fluid monitors. The floors are stronger and more insulated. The hot water heat sounds good and is there any downside to that? Does anyone know if the walls have better insulation?
Geo John
Geo John is offline   Reply With Quote