RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
uneasy airstreamer wet yet again

Captain Brian and I went to pick up our trailer for its first outing of the season. We discovered that our flooring (which was replaced last year due to ripples) has lifted just inside the door. It looks like a big long air bubble about the width of the door and 6 inches across. The flooring is also lifted in the bathroom in front of the sink. Another big air bubble type thing. Upon closer inspection we found water between the screen door and the outer door.
The leaking never ceases .
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Is there a question lurking here?

To state the obvious,,,, My guess as to cause is the bubble by the door is caused by a bad gasket seal or a leak around the door frame. My guess for the bathroom is a small plumbing leak in the sink area.

Leaks are a pain and ubiquitous to trailers because they are not stationary objects. Your post raises quality control in newer Airstreams. Leaks in vintage coaches... chalk it up to age. I'm 58 and have my share of personal ones. But there are 2 reasons why one gets a vintage unit; #1. can't afford a new one #2. surpressed masochism.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Can feel your pain, concerning leaks. I have a couple of them, to take care of on my AS this summer. Have been in many SOB units that are thirty to forty years old, with nary a leak, I don't think AS has ever got it right, in keeping the water on the outside, just one of the joys of AS ownership I guess.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
Unfortunately leaks are somewhat a part of new Airstream trailer woes. Two of my friends with FB's (1-25' and 1-27') have had their share. I've had a few small ones. The one thing that worked was a lot of 'conversation' with the dealer and factory. My leaks: the vent in the bath was installed without chalk/gasket and both the kit. and bath "P" traps were not secured. Both of my friend's newer FB's had probs with the shower seams, one of them still is having trouble with a "Vista-View". Keep after the dealer and call J.C. if necessary (Jackson Center, although the other...never mind!), persistence will pay-off. My experience with Airstream is that they do stand behind their product.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote