RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Angry Removing Roof Vent (non-power) on 2006 Safari SS

I am trying to remove the roof vent on our AS to install a Fan-Tastic roof vent. Have screws out and have scraped off sealant on top of vent, but how do you get the vent released from the sealant underneath?? There is a grey adhesive (sealant) that must be 1-1/2" wide all the way around. Tried hot air gun but afraid of catching the fiberglass insulation a fire under the aluminum. I have the white roof, not the aluminum silver.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I did the same replacement. You must insert a very thin blade, very sharp to cut the inner sealant. May have to tap with a hammer to convince the sealant to let go. Slow process, have patience it will release. Just hope that when you install the FF, it seals as well!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Were you able to find the 12 volt power wires after pulling the original vent? If so where were they located?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Smile 12 volt power wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Were you able to find the 12 volt power wires after pulling the original vent? If so where were they located?
Yes, there was a light about 12" from the back side of the vent opening that had a switch on the wall by the entrance as well as on the light. The wires going from the wall switch to the light were loose enough that I could cut the wires (two) and, with a two three-wire connectors, hook up the Fan-Tastic Vent. I ended up using a pry bar and a heat gun to get the old vent loose from the adhesive. By heating the adhesive it softened it and by pushing the pry bar, one corner at a time, able to get it off in about fifteen minutes. Then I used a putty knife and mineral spirits to clean the surface.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That is not the wires I was referring too. Others have posted that there is a set of DC wires run close to the opening that are for attachment to a power vent.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Smile Electric Wires (pre-wired)

I could not find any prewired wires near the roof vent. I ran my hands back under the insulation as far as possible and used a narrow stick to get back even farther, but none were found. That is why I had to tie into the lite switch wiring. I tech repr at AS told me he "thought" they begin prewiring in 2006 but, there again, I could not find them!!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last night while replacing the switch in the rear roof light I spotted two extra wires running behind the light. Pulled the inside ring of the rear vent. Probed around the forward edge and found the wires about two inches back between the insulation and the skin. Put a volt meter to them and read 13.4 volts DC. Next step is to get a new powered Fantastic Fan to install. The hard part is going to be removing all the caulk around the outside of the vent. There must be an entire tube gloped up there.