Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Also does anybody find the Dc charger/convertor rather loud that's on the face of the bed? Especially when you're trying to sleep. The manual acts like it shout rarely come on and that it's quiet.
Our converter comes on almost as much as the refrigerator fan (particularly when we're using a lot of juice for the AC or furnace). I was also concerned since the manual says it will "rarely" operate. However, no issues over the 2 weeks we were in it last month.

Ours is located under the refer, not under the bed. Noise is not too loud, but it is noticeable. I could see it being annoying if you were laying on top of it.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
On the issue of the convertor fan, I intended to replace mine with a Silent-X or other quiet fan. The fan noise bothers me, even in the convertor is amidships. It comes on occasionally when charging, but constantly when I am running larger loads, like the overhead halogens. I can't recall having it come on in the middle of the evening.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I thought the manual made the fan noise a smaller issue than it is. Not too sure putting it under the bed was the best of ideas. But have only spent 4 nights in mine so far.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Microwave Oven in 25' SEFB

Was reading some of the other threads on this but have you guys with the 25'ers put a smaill microwave any where? Was wondering about the small panel over the fridge? Would have to be a very small microwave to fit. Seems over the stove is the most popular option.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Our Microwave is built into the cabinet next to the sink, above the slide out pantry.

On the topic of the shore power switch -- you cannot set the switch to "store" when the trailer is plugged into shore power. My guess is that one of the batteries is defective, or you are not getting the correct voltage out of your converter.

Good luck on the new rig!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Battery Condition

This is a 2006 trailer. The PO had replaced one of the two batteries back earlier in the year. As I understand both should have been done. So should I go ahead and replace the other battery now and not take chances on it? Sams has good pricing and guess should get a matching battery. I believe the top battery is the original that came from the factory. Anybody know for sure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstreambattery.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	115651  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Rich,

I have the same trailer and purchased it a year ago from the original owner who really didn't use it very much. He left it plugged in 24/7 and in the process, over charged the batteries and toasted one of them badly. Of course when I showed up to look, it was plugged in and everything worked great. I hooked it up to the truck and towed it many miles to an overnight spot with full hookups. It wasn't until I got home and took it out to a local park for a couple of days that I realized two things. #1 the converter was useless and the batteries would not hold a charge.

I would suggest that you replace both of the batteries and have your converter checked. I have not heard many good things about the original converters in the 2006 models.

When it is time to store the trailer for the winter, I take the batteries out, bring them home and store them in the basement. It gets pretty cold where I live and don't want to have to deal with problems each spring.

Like I said, we replaced the converter and both batteries and that has been the total of our issues. We do love our 25FB.

Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Would someone provide a short, succinct description about how the Store/Use switch works? After reading this thread and the referenced threads, my head is spinning! Think of it as a favor to those in the future who will grapple with this question.

And thanks!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Brad go to the page one of this thread and you can find some really good advice on the switch and how easy it is to screw up charging your batteries.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Aftermath- What convertor did you use to replace original? Still trying to determine the original battery from above and replacement which should have little use on it.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Sony DVD stereo in 06

Anybody truly understand how the built-in Sony DVD PLayer Works? Last night while watching a movie the sound had a hum/ buzz in the overhead speakers? And a slight hum bar in the picture. Also not sure how to switch the audio input to external say to an iPod. When I plug it in to the input in the overhead bin it never seems to work. Also isn't there supposed to be an audio feed from the TV back to the Sony unit? Cable connected at Tv but no sound. Must be something in the input select on the Sony. For reference I work in the pro audio/ video world so I'm pretty knowledgable in these things but this Airstream system is a mystery, and I did read the Sony manual.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I don't pretend to truly understand how the built-in Sony DVD pLayer works, but after often frustrating trial and error (and resort to one of the least useful user guides ever written) I can get it to do some things, but not others.

Regarding the buzz: I found that in my rig, one buzz is related to the water heater switch. When it is turned on, I get the buzz. When it's off, the buzz disappears.

I do detect other buzzes, however. One comes from the CD/DVD drive. If there is a disc in it, it spins, and it is a very noisy drive. (Steve Jobs would hang the engineer responsible by the heels).

Unfortunately, when you hear one buzz and then another, you begin to hear others, even though it might just be tinnitus.

I think you should start a new thread regarding the Sony unit so that those who have elicited it's secrets can share. Perhaps some of the other mysteries you mentioned--and that I too have confronted--will be put to rest.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Rich...Re the hum, did you try adjusting the subwoofer? There's a knob on the unit...we got rid of some extraneous "noise" by adjusting ours a bit... (not sure where the subwoofer is in your unit...ours in under the curbside dinette seat.

We can get TV audio through the speakers over the dinnette by pushing the "Source" button until we get "CDC2" in the display ("CDC1" is the CD Player), and then pushing "Mode" ... you may have to increase the volume to hear it through the speakers.

Does this help?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Converter

Rich,

Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been out and about as they say.

I went with the IOTA DLS 55 Model. It has a three stage output and is not supposed to fry your batteries. It comes with the IQ4 smart-charger built in. I do not leave it plugged in for weeks at a time though. So far so good.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Went through a similar experience with our unit this weekend. Loads of buzz from the subwoofer. Learned a lot about the sony unit in our rig, but ultimately ended up adjusting the subwoofer. It was a serious PITA because the sub is mounted such that I cannot see the dials and can barely reach them. Noticed also that certain DVD's had a hard time working within the sub's frequency range.

Other than that annoyance, our Turkey Day holiday in Arkansas was perfect (crappy weather, traffic delays, etc....). Still beat the heck out of the office!
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Spent 4 nights in the Trailer in Kerrville Texas. It got COLD one night freezing the plastic hose going into the trailer (22degrees). Only problems encountered was not being able to light the pilot on the Oven which had never been used. Got some help from other forum members and now know the procedure for that. The Sony DVD player unit gave us some bad hum one night but then the next day was fine. Will check the water heater switch as noted above. Hum/buzz etc. in an audio system is the result of bad power, usually grounding issues in the wiring. The electrical problem has no where to go so it travels in to the speaker wires and because the 60 cycle hum is in the lower frequencies it shows up in the subwoofer. That said it seems to come and go.

All in all we had a great trip.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Adding TV Mount to Bedroom wall?

So I bought an arm to mount a 22" Vizio to the wall on the other side of the shower, where the Thermostat and CO Detector are located. On the skin wall is the power outlet and the TV antenna. Don't want to drill the 3 mounting screws too far into the wall and penetrate the shower plastic. Also want to make sure the wall has the strength for the TV. Anybody mounted a TV on this wall? The Vizio is one of the new superthin models. Just want to ask before I drill.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My husband mounted a TV on the shower wall in our 2004 28' CCD. He took off the lower access door and removed enough fasteners from the wall to flex it just out of the way. He drilled a hole behind the TV and ran the wiring behind the wall and mounted the inverter on the floor under the shower. He drilled a hole in the lower portion of the wall and inserted one of those plastic inserts you find on desks. The wires exited here and were connected to the cable jack and electricity. It was a very clean looking installation.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Sounds like he went all out. Hoping to keep it simple on this one.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Rich, if you are talking about the streetside shower wall in the FB, it is removable with very little effort (six or eight screws). You are right to be concerned as there is not much clearance behind that panel before you hit fiberglass pan. There are also several 12V wires for the lights. I would remove the panel and measure. Bolts may be a good idea and can be secured better than screws.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote