RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The original TV Sony 15" non HD Wega has the yellow composite video and audio RCA jacks feeding the DVD in. In looking at the Sony Manual for the indash DVD/CD Tuner amp system there are several different configurations of the "head" unit one of which has a component output. But mine probably doesn't offer that solution. I'm posting this info in case other owners with this configuration decide to replace the Sony Wega with a newer model HD TV. Another note on the Vizio 23" TV, it also has a PC input so you can even hook your computer up to it and use it for a monitor (15pin connector).

Wish there was a way to pull a HDMI cable to the overhead bin. Not a problem but difficult to pull the cable from the TV behind the wall, down the fridge panel, even behind the side couch but getting through the front skin up to the overhead compartment to the DVD player is the hard part.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Apple TV and Vizio 23"

Here's a pic of the 23" Vizio so you can see how it fits in the space. The Apple TV really wants a network connection so I used an Airport Express and just plugged it in under the table. Was able to set it up without internet and stream from the Macbookpro to the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0703.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	114092  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Nice. Did you use the AirTunes configuration of the airport express to establish the connection between the computer & Apple TV?
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
All good points Paula. Looked at the couch and don't see a way it extends. Under the cushions is a plywood top, but if it doesn't then no big deal. I had to re-glue the end panel in the bedroom, the one where the thermostat is by the shower. Having one control for heat/AC good, the electronic water heater and water pump are great improvements over the vintage. Need to track down the water pump itself, think it's by the outside front panel. Of and the fantastic fan is nice, still learning about how it works. And yes, my wife made sure we had insurance on the trailer in place before we pulled out of the dealer's lot.
In the Safari, the water pump is under the hall closet. The panel under the closet is actually a hinged door. Use a kitchen knife blade to pry it open - no handle is a PIA. (In the words of Cheech & Chong - it's where you keep your weed man!) There's very little room inside because the flex duct takes up most of it.

Paula
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Tried several configs on the apple tv. Tried to stream directly from Macbookpro to Atv. That kinda worked but kept trying to find a wireless network. I merely plugged in the Airport express under the table and then set up a network with no Internet connection ( you can actually do that). Then connected the Atv to the new network from the Airxpress.

AirTunes works well for just music streaming and it looks like Apple updated the features. Can now control volume in both apple Tvs in the house

I take it the phone Jack under the table is actually the Internet feed in from the outside panel?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Batteries Dead even though Trailer was plugged in

So my new to me Safari 06 FB has been living in my driveway now for 2 weeks and been plugged in to shore power since. I packed her up to move to storage and unplugged the power. Went to the electric lift to lower the jack and there wasn't any juice in the system so I plugged her back in and the lift worked fine. Seems that the batteries weren't charged or had little charge.

Checked the fuses and didn't readily see any blown in the power convertor box. Stopped off on the way to storage and there was little battery in the trailer and the battery meter flashed red on the display.

PO had recently replaced one of the two batteries and said the other had tested fine. On our trip back to Texas all battery's were charged and no problems with any of the 12V systems. Any clues as to why they don't have a charge on them?
- turned battery disconnect switch to "store" when I left her at the storage lot.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Rich

I would check the voltage at the battery using a digital voltmeter when you are plugged into shore power or a generator. The voltage should be about 14 volts. If it is not then your converter is not working properly. If it is then I would have your batteries tested.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Battery cutoff switch off? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Of course now the trailer is on storage, with almost dead batteries. Don't think the cutoff switch was in the off or store position. Will take a meter out to it and meter the batteries. The PO had just replaced one of them, not both before selling it. The power charger unit (sorry I still want to call it a Univolt) seemed to be working, the fan would come on often under the bed, I take it regulating the 120V to 12 volt loads.

The fan seemed pretty noisy when it comes on, which to me since it is mounted under the Q bed seemed to be a bad idea as you could be drifting off to sleep and the fan comes on and wakes you back up. Does that seem right to you other owners?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Store Battery Cutoff Switch

So if the red light is on on the Battery Cutoff Panel does that mean that it is in the USE mode, meaning it is charging the batteries?
When you push STORE should the red light go off?

When I went to my storage location yesterday the red light was on, but I know I pushed the STORE button when I left it. Batteries are pretty much dead which is strange as it had been plugged in for 2 weeks.

The Safari manual describes the USE STORE switch but not the red light, which I would assume if on then the trailer is on the USE mode.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Red light=batteries connected for use by whatever needs 12v current. If it it out then they are disconnected and are not in use. The batteries will charge whether the light is on or not. Take care to hold the switch in the store position for a couple of seconds and watch to make sure the light goes out when you leave. Sometimes it will not cut off if I just try to flip it quickly.

There are a lot of current "Vampires" in these units when that are active even when it appears that they are individually switched off. The stereo is a big one that I've noticed. the shut down sequence on ours requires you to hold the off button on the head unit (not the remote). It will then reboot and start up anytime the central circuit (store switch) is powered on/off. Tricksy since the head unit is stuffed in a cabinet so you can't see it.

I've made this mistake when I've realized I left something inside after closing her up in the storage unit. Went back in, needed to use the lights and closed her back up. dead as a door nail when I got back to it a week later. fortunately there is a plug inside the storage unit I could use shore power to recharge.

also remember to hit store after you unplug from shore power. the red light on mine will
not go off until it is free of 120v current.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Rich, in additon to the above mentioned vampires, the propane detector is always wired into 12v. While it doesn't draw enough to kill the batteries in the time frame of your situation, I have had it kill my batteries during extended storage. In my trailer, the stereo is completely shut off (supply and memory voltages) when the trailer is in STORE mode.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
To be clear, our stereo is also off in STORE mode. I made mention of this as to possible things that can and will "mysteriously" drain your batteries quickly if there is current connected to them.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My Suburban furnace draws current even when it's not running according to the manual that came with it. I haven't tested it to see if that's correct. I assume it may be true.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Battery Disconnect Switch

Quote:
So if the red light is on on the Battery Cutoff Panel does that mean that it is in the USE mode, meaning it is charging the batteries?
When you push STORE should the red light go off?

When I went to my storage location yesterday the red light was on, but I know I pushed the STORE button when I left it. Batteries are pretty much dead which is strange as it had been plugged in for 2 weeks.

The Safari manual describes the USE STORE switch but not the red light, which I would assume if on then the trailer is on the USE mode.
The Battery Disconnect Switch and the red light are confusing to many...

For a discussion on its use (and the confusing red light) see this thread:

Battery Disconnect Switch, Solar, & AGMs

and a further clarification here.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the comments to all. Have learned to hold down the power button on Sonh head unit as mentioned. As same for the STORE switch. When I entered the trailer yesterday at storage lot the red light was on but there was no 110 volt. Pushed the switch to store and red light went off, batteries dead, no lights, alarm beeping on one of the detectors. Is it possible that the trailer had been set to STORE mode for the 2 weeks it was plugged in at the house, but the red light was on (indicating the presence of 110V) therefore the batteries were NOT getting a charge and were close to being drained?

Also does anybody find the Dc charger/convertor rather loud that's on the face of the bed? Especially when you're trying to sleep. The manual acts like it shout rarely come on and that it's quiet.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
That pesky "Store/Use" switch! We leave ours on all the time, even when on shore power...so that our batteries will be kept charged. We have sealed AGM batteries and we also have solar ... but when at home it's under a port and doesn't get much light ...so it's plugged in to shore power... As mentioned above, the light is on in either position IF you are plugged into shore power. If you disconnect from shore power and switch to the "store" position the red light goes off...and at that point you will not have any 12v power to the unit. Even our hard-wired detectors are not powered if I recall. If you want to be absolutely sure that your batteries are completely disconnected, you can always physically disconnect the batteries.

Our converter is not under the bed...but it is close to it. (Everything is close to everything in a Bambi!) We can hear the fan when it comes on but it's not all that loud ... certainly not loud enough to wake us up. If it is really loud you might have it checked.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Thanks for the comments to all... Is it possible that the trailer had been set to STORE mode for the 2 weeks it was plugged in at the house, but the red light was on (indicating the presence of 110V) therefore the batteries were NOT getting a charge and were close to being drained?
Thanks for saying "Thanks"... not everyone here who poses a question has the courtesy to say "Thanks" or even come back once to the thread that they started.

The quick answer to your above question is: "Yes!".

The long answer is: As noted in the Battery Disconnect Switch thread, post #6, #9, and post #25, and in TBRich's post above, when connected to shore power, the red light stays on in either the "STORE" or "USE" setting.

When the trailer is disconnected from shore power, the red light stays on only when it is in the "USE" setting and will be off when it is in the "STORE" setting.

So after a careful review of what you wrote, it appears that your Battery Disconnect Switch was in the "STORE" position while sitting in your driveway. I know from personal experience how easy it is to bump this button and change the setting without realizing it. (See the "Curious aside" note in post #19 of the Battery Disconnect Switch thread.)

So, at some point your Battery Disconnect Switch was on "STORE" mode, isolating your batteries from the converter, even though the red light was on while you were connected to shore power for two weeks.

As you stated here in post #30, you eventually took the trailer to the storage lot and pushed the "STORE" button when you left. But when you pushed that button you didn't realize that you were actually changing the mode from its previous setting of "STORE" (when it was in your driveway) to the setting of "USE" when you left the storage lot.

So as you mentioned here in post #36, when you returned to your trailer yesterday, the red light was on (verifying the setting of in "USE" while disconnected from shore power). And of course by now the batteries were at or near death.

And finally, one additional note: If you experience a sudden loss of battery charge while connected to shore power and the Battery Disconnect Switch is set to "USE", it may mean that your converter is failing, which happened to me and described in this thread: "Battery at 45% even though connected to shore power".
Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks SG for the very concise description that I believe very accurately describes the situation. You are a good detective. The manual describes the STORE USE switch but doesn't cover the red lights function. I was pretty shocked when I went to lower the trailer with the electric lift and there was no power in the batteries to do so after it had been plugged in for two weeks.
But as the thread says I am transitioning from a 72 TW to an 06 Safari, so a disconnect switch is a new deal to me. The TW you just plugged it in and it charged the battery. Tried the power outlet on the pole behind the trailer at the storage lot and it appears to be dead so I'll have to bring her home to charge her up yet an upcoming challenge.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Thanks SG for the very concise description that I believe very accurately describes the situation. You are a good detective... Tried the power outlet on the pole behind the trailer at the storage lot and it appears to be dead so I'll have to bring her home to charge her up yet an upcoming challenge.
You're welcome, RH... and I appreciate your comment on my detective abilities... especially after I just watched the latest and most interesting PBS Masterpiece Mystery series on Sherlock before tackling your mystery!

Your mystery gave me an opportunity to review a somewhat ongoing confusing issue and to add additional clarifying comments to my ongoing thread, "Battery Disconnect Switch, Solar & AGMs" thread."

So it looks like you will need to check and possibly replace your batteries, if needed, and I would also suggest that you check the status of your converter... but that's another (mystery) story!

Best,
SG