Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Today I woke up with no water pump!
Drove too George Sutton RV in Eugene OR, 150 mile round trip, and they replaced the pump.
Got back too Salem and hooked up WATER, Elec & sewer. Then started deploying awning's, when I got too the street side, I see water running out of the bottom of my Airstream!!!!
Run inside too find flooded!!!
The line too the pump had blown off because they had put a piece of hose inside my hose as a spacer and then put a claimp on!!!! Trust me this don't work.
Sutton say's too let them know how "I" fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
A trip too the plumping store for reducer and hose and it will be all better.
Someone tell me agian why I spent $60,000 for an Airstream
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
For the adventure. At least thats why I got mine.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Its all planned

As I remember...that new Airstream had holes (leaks around the windows)....planned drainage.

Am really sorry to hear about the problems. I still think your Airstream is as classy as they come.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Repair Refund????

Did you ask for a repair refund of the installation cost? Was it done under warranty? If so have them note the repair failed and get it in writing, that way you may have some documentation for Airstream for floor repairs. Bill the installer for the part you bought with milage and your time factored in. Again, even if they refuse you may have a future case against additional damage.

DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hum..... I take it that it's the new Airstream that's causing you the worries and not the vintage Argosy. Have a 78 Argosy that has never given me a moments trouble. From what I read here on the forum, I'm not certain I would buy a "new" Airstream for the money they want. I really love my Argosy and would seriously think about finding another one if I had the time to work on it. Good luck with your trailer. You seem to still have your sense of humor about your "adventure".
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Complain in Writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Drove too George Sutton RV in Eugene OR, 150 mile round trip, and they replaced the pump.
Got back too Salem and hooked up WATER, Elec & sewer. Then started deploying awning's, when I got too the street side, I see water running out of the bottom of my Airstream!!!!
The line too the pump had blown off because they had put a piece of hose inside my hose as a spacer and then put a claimp on!!!! Trust me this don't work.
I agree with other posters. You have a claim against Sutton for damages caused by slovenly work. Small claims court will back you up.... not for "flawless", but for "workmanlike" quality, which your repair clearly lacked. Put in writing and fax it to them, AND send it registered mail to Sutton AND to Airstream, and to any consumer protection agency in your state, and to the local BBB in Sutton's home city. You should ask for the total installation cost, 1/2 of your travel mileage, potential damage to your flooring (and carpet if you have it).

You may want to call a professional flood restoration company and ask Sutton for the name of THEIR insurance company. You do have a right to be protected from mold and frame rust caused by the flood.

Sorry you had the problem. I've been lucky that the dealers I've associated with are pretty liberal about letting me watch the repairs in progress. I DO watch religiously!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
When I picked up my trailer I had a leaking Surflow water pump. I pulled the head off and found a small hole in the diaphragm. I used 5 min. epoxy to seal the hole in the diaphragm to stop the leak. I did not use the pump but sealed the leak and reassembled the pump. When I returned home I called Surflow and explained the problem, they sent me the repair parts at no cost. I installed the parts maybe a hour total labor. Surflow knew about the problem with their diaphragms. I to had water leak from underneath, I dried it up and aired out the area, in my case no harm just some aggravation. I think you had very poor service as the pumps are very standard on trailers and boats, bad workmanship. I would ask my lawyer to let them know how I repaired it. Did you call Airstream ?

Best of Luck
Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

1. The only fun I have is trying too keep this thing working between hospital visits!
2. Can't stay here too sue Sutton because of weather!
3. Work was warrenty, so no refunds and no repairman except me!
4. "Water will not hurt an Airstream" I got that straight from Bob Wheeler, CEO of Airstream, when I tried too get the first flood damage repaired. So Airstream is no help.

I don't remember if I posted that the main breaker went out a few weeks ago, but that was fun, $87.00.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

We bought our Bambi 19ft CCD from Sutton RV and I'm sure they will see these posts and I hope do the right thing, they are a great bunch of people.
It's a pain to bring it back but it's not you who should be doing this re-repair, and they should reimburse you for everything including your gas IMO.

We just purchased the 2006 Safari LS SE from Southwest Coaches in So Cal much closer to San Diego this time, love our salesman Troy and hope there are not "issues" regarding this model to worry about...if there are please someone give us a heads up before our walk through on the 20th!

Good luck and hope everything works out, as this doesn't fit the good impression we took away from Sutton.

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stop's

Calif - (1) Go on top and see if all the screw's are in place and sealed
(2) Check too see how far the Toilet is mounted from the wall, If it is less than 9" you can't replace toilet with up-grade
(3) If shower door is chrome, it will leak. The new door is gold.
(4) Check every edge of the laminate, if it is not smooth from all directions it will peel.
I have never seen the 19' model, but these are just a few of the problrm's I have with my unit.

I talked too Dave Shoeman (Customer Relations at Airstream) today. No help with Sutton, but sid he will get me parts number for the shower door and surround so I can but them and replace damaged area. Only time will tell.
The flood and pump replacement of yesterday has put me up too $1200.00 for repairs not counting shower door and inclosure.
The bedroom carpet will need replacement, but that will not be done until I hit home base in Late Oct. I plan too put vinyl plank through out.
I am working on a plan too move bathroom wall/cut inlet into wall too allow for a toilet up-grade. I'm not sure any of the plans I have will work so this will wait until home base were I can get advise from my cabinet maker. It will be fun for sure.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Calif (4) Check every edge of the laminate, if it is not smooth from all directions it will peel.
The night I picked up my unit, I went to the hardware store and purchased a small bottle of wood glue, blue tape, and goop off. I checked ever inche of the laminate including the bottom of doors and reglued at least half a dozen spots. I keep the glue in the trailer and repair as I find porblems. I keep cleaning areas with the goop off removing overspray and caulk.

Flooding may not hurt an Airsteam but it will hurt the carpet. I have done all my own warranty work so far, including replacing the 2 plastic vent covers $8.50 a piece. So far no big deal but I stll have 20 months to go.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santa Catalina Island , California
Quote:
We just purchased the 2006 Safari LS SE from Southwest Coaches in So Cal much closer to San Diego this time, love our salesman Troy and hope there are not "issues" regarding this model to worry about
Congratulations on your new Safari LS SE. We purchased our 2006 Safari SE from Southwest Coaches in July and couldn't be happier. We really appreciated the time and expertise of their service tech Aaron during our walkthrough. Very thorough. I took lots of notes! We have taken our Bambi out twice and so far everything is perfect. We called the dealer a couple of times to ask (stupid newbie) questions, and they were very willing to help. Our salesman was Dave, and he was great. All around an awesome dealer.
AIR #14503
"We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. . . Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it." ~John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, in Search of America
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Jim I also have glue, blue tape, Silkaflex and wouldn't think of leaving without it.
The wood panel under the shower door has swolen and popped the laminate. Yesterday I got the part number's from Dave Shipmam at Airstream and a contact number for parts at Airstream. No prices yet, but it will cost me.
I will up-grade as I go, which will cost more, but worth it.
Airstream was no help with Sutton and didn't seem to care about the bad workmanship or wrong parts used.
I will not tell Sutton how I fixed the trailer unless the pay, but if anyone on the forum need's this info, e-mail me. It's not hard and cost almost nothing.

Not all model's are styles are covered by the Airstream Memo, just certain serial numbers that were built in Feb and Mar 2006. I sure hope that the dealer's get all the affected trailer's fixed before deliviry, as I wouln't wish this hassel on anyone. I think the worst part is that I paid $2000.00 for extended warrenty that is worthless.

I will call my dealer too get prices tommrow and then do repair's at my home base in Nov.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
_

. , .
hi gunny

i hate reading abour your shoddy trailer...i'm on your side...
i'd have taken the unit back when the roof leaks were found...
either to the dealer or factory and expected a complete repair and finishing anything that wasn't finished correctly...

i am trying to understand how sutton screwed up a water pump replacement. mine failed in may and was replaced at the dealer..basically one threaded connection into the pump and one guillotine (sp) connection out of the pump and done. the wiring was the hardest part.

did they use a different pump or some odd tubing arrangement? it sure looks plug and play to me...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump connections.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24798  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hang in there, I hate that you are having all the problems which takes away from the enjoyment of your trailer. If you get close to New Orelans let me know I will buy you lunch, you deserve a break.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi gunny

did they use a different pump or some odd tubing arrangement? it sure looks plug and play to me...

cheers
2air'
It is plug and play, I replaced the head on mine. The RV dealer must have no clue.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #17
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stop's

Hi 2Air & Jim
I now know that Sutton installed a cheap pump.
This pump uses 1/2" hose instead of 5/8" like the better pump. So they placed a 1" piece of plastic hose on the fitting and then put the 5/8" hose over that and clamp. Lasted till I hooked up city water.
Today my repair started too leak!! Yes but I'm not a RV tec!! I had too go get HIGH pressure hose and now all is well.
I did take the trailer back too the factory and they fixed a full page of defect's. The problem is that the Factory and my dealer in Texas are the only people that will fix problems and I am in Oregon for 4 more week's and then I start south and then east.
My dealer is stocking up on part's as fast as he can, but I add too the list faster than he can get parts.
I will move back too my 73 (Non-Airstream) Argosy and then take this thing too my dealer and leave it for repair and sale on consignment.
Sorry it takes me so long too answer, but I don't hook up computor everyday.

Don

PS: I just might take you up Jim.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #18
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We bought our Airstream in NC and took a trip across US. We stopped at Eugene for some warrenty work and was treated GREAT and they did a great job....so I'm sorry about your problems ...let them know.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stop's

I did let Sutton Know! There only answer was for me too drive 150 miles at $3.00 per gallon. When I told them they should send a repairman too me was " let us know how you fix it".
IMHO a owner shouldn'd have too drive 300 miles in one day to get a simple water pump replacement. The way they Jerry Rigged my pump was plan STUPID. A moron would have done better.
I had alway's heard good about Sutton, and they may do good work but not this time.
We need too hear about the bad work as well as the good work.

Don
Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I had alway's heard good about Sutton, and they may do good work but not this time.
We need too hear about the bad work as well as the good work.

Don

Most dissatisfied customers will very often complain. Usually a minority of customer base.

"Unfortunately" most satisfied customers, never say a word. Usually, a majority of a customer base.

Human nature at work again.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote