Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Can you help me figure this out? Sony speakers surround sound...

Does anyone have surround sound on their Safari SE LS when watching TV/movies? We have a CD player in the cabinet above the dinette (which I am guessing is also a DVD player) but the inside has been removed. I guess it is called a magazine? The radio is also connected to this because when I source the radio, it tells me the "mag" is missing..

When I turn on my TV and source to "Video 1" I am given a pretty purple screen with a white swoosh and it reads Video 1 -- I am wondering if "Video 1" is sourcing to that blank/empty cd/dvd player in the cabinet.

I hope that made sense!!

Does anybody know? I would love to be able to have surround sound while watching movies.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Your setup is most likely like ours...we have a 10-disc CD changer in the cabinet next to the radio/CD/DVD player...make sure the magazine that holds the CDs is inserted into the changer (or maybe it's missing completely?)...

To insert a DVD into the place, the face of the radio/CD/DVD player slides down revealing the slot where the DVD goes in...your screen on the TV is waiting for a DVD to be inserted...

Hope this helps...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
That is how our's works, too. Look for a button on the upper right of the face of the radio, not the changer.

Hope it works!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Oh my goodness, I am thrilled!! Yes, my CD changer is totally empty (previous owners forgot to give that to us); however, if the DVD just slides into the Radio and not the changer then that is my answer -- I don't need the CD player at all (since I use my ipod).

thank you soooooo much !!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
iPod

Mammab,

We have the same trailer only mine is on the eastern side of the state burried in snow while yours is in Sunny Bellevue.

How do you attach your iPod to the radio. I am assuming you have the original Sony still in the trailer.

Thanks
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath
Mammab,

We have the same trailer only mine is on the eastern side of the state burried in snow while yours is in Sunny Bellevue.

How do you attach your iPod to the radio. I am assuming you have the original Sony still in the trailer.

Thanks
Yeah I WISH there was sun here lol. We were burried in snow over Thanksgiving but we love it since it is such a rare occurrence here. As for my iPod, I plug it into the back of the tv with one of those RCA jacks (has the red yellow and white male plugs) and the other end that has a regular headset Jack (can't recall the name of it) and source the TV to video 2. Works great but when the heat pump comes on you have to turn up the volume on the TV and then back down. Which is why I posted about the surround sound through the Sony and speakers. I just read that you can source the radio (which is wired to the back of the TV) to CDC2 and that will play the audio coming from the TV. So I am looking forward to testing that out.

I do have the original Sony as well.

One thing however, if your iPod was made in 2006 or before you will be fine using the RCA cable. If it is made after 2006 (can't remember what generation they are) you will need to buy a special cable from the Apple store to use to view video output on your TV. Just another way for them to lighten your wallet. - make old accessories obsolete. Grrrrr
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Thanks for the response. We just set a snow record for November over here in Spokane. 25 inches and a lot of that is still on the ground.

I have a new television. I replaced the original with a Vizio with a digital tuner. I came across an adapter with the jack that fits into the top of the iPod and two colored jacks that fit into the back of the television. I also noticed a place to plug them in, on the side of the wall in the cabinet that houses the CD changer. This spring I will try that first before I go to the television. If you hear a small explosion off to the east, you will know what happened.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I probably wont hear it. They say hearing is the second thing to go. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I cant remember what the first was. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
What year did Airstream start installing Sony players that play DVD's?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
That is too funny about the explosion sound, lol. I'm actually going to go up not this weekend but the next to stay on our A/S and will try and figure out a way to connect the Ipod to those outlets in the cabinet so #1: it wouldn't be connected directly to TV and #2 to get surround sound. I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes. Luckily there is a Radio Shack on the island if I need anything additional.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Sony thread

I started a thread last week in the Audio/ Video forum called Sony Player in newer Airstreams. I had an intermittent hum in the audio, and was frustrated that the Sony DVD system and the Airstream wiring is hard to understand and just switching inputs is a challenge. And I'm still not sure how to get it to play disk 3 instead of one. Anyways some good comments over in that thread.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote